• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Accurate, high-temperature deep fat fryers?

My Waring Pro deep fat fryer was only reaching 340F when it was set at 375. So I took it apart, found a calibration screw on the inside, and calibrated against a high-quality digital oven thermometer.

Now, however, it is way off at the lower end, reaching 195F when set at 175F. Worse yet, when I turn it up to 375 it gets up there, but then apparently goes into a high temperature shut-down and won't work at all.

Does anyone know of an electric fryer that will go higher than 375F, ideally to 425F/200C, and at the same time is reasonably accurate?

Otherwise, I might be inclined to short out the thermostat on this one, and adapt it for use with a PID controller, if I can find a suitable9 high temperature sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

Try looking at professional-grade models. You might have to go to a professional kitchen store to find one, and it might not even be legal.

As for PIDs, that's what we do...but I can't actually endorse doing this because we work in a lab where we have scientists, engineers, and machinists who can help us if anything goes wrong. Let us know how it turns out though!