• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Vegetable "Cracklins"

Scott Heimendinger

I want to make pumpkin cracklins with the same texture of pork cracklins, or at least the texture of the tapioca puffs from the book. I sliced pumpkin flesh thin and dehydrated it. My guess is that I need to vacuum-impregnate the dehydrated pumpkin with a starch slurry. Should I use Tapioca? Cornstarch?

Or, following this method, will I end up with a pumpkin chip instead of a pumpkin cracklin?

Scott Heimendinger

Director of Applied Research for Modernist Cuisine

Are you looking for a crackling or pork rind texture? The tapioca puffs are more like a pork rind.

The gelatinzed starch needs to act as the structure if you want the puffing action in the tapioca starch cracker on 6-343, so I don't think using impregnated pieces of dehydrated pumpkin will work well puffing up.

If you want pumpkin flavor with the tapioca puff, you could either powder the dehydrate pumpkin and incorporate that with the starch and use pumpkin puree as the liquid, or just use a pumpkin puree/juice. The latter will probably result in a less intensely flavored product.

I prefer tapioca starch because it is more neutral and puffs better than cornstarch in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I can think of three different ways of trying this. One is the way you suggested. You will want to use tapioca starch because the cell structure is different than cornstarch. Or, you could dehydrate the pumpkin down to a powder and then rehydrate it with water and tapioca. Third, you could puree the pumpkin and use that plus pumpkin juice instead of meat and water and follow the prawn cracker recipe in MC.