• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions about accelerating meat brining with a chamber vacuum sealer

Anonymous Modernist 2828

With chamber vacuum sealer, I learned that I can pickle the food instantly.

Can I use this technique for speed brining? so that I can brine the chicken breast in brining liquid few minutes instead of brining the chicken breast 24 hrs.

If I can speed brining with chamber vacuum sealer, can I use the rigid container, brining liquid, and meat to brining it without vacuum bag?My friend showed me that he used pickling liquid with sliced onion in the stainless bowl and operate the the sealer without bag. I wonder if this affect the quality of chamber vacuum sealer.

I can't remember where I read it, so I may have this slightly wrong, but...

For quick-brining meat, it's not the vacuum pressure that does the work; it's the change in vacuum pressure. For example, when I made the pastrami recipe, I brined it for one day instead of 3 using this technique. I put the meat and brine in a rigid vacuum canister and pulled and released the vacuum over and over again. I didn't do an A-B test, but I do know that my pastrami was fully brined from edge to edge.

Scott Heimendinger

Director of Applied Research for Modernist Cuisine

• 2 weeks later...

I would be careful of a few things. Humidity in your chamber (=bad) from pulling a vac without a lid over and over, and to turn off your seal bar to save its life. You might pull a vac in a bag and seel it than leave it in the chamber, turn off the seel bar and run multiple cyles. the bag will expand and compress changing the pressure each time, but without releasing humidity into the pump. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 11/14/2011 at 5:17 PM, Anonymous Modernist 10 said:

Rather than using a chamber vacuum sealer, we use a siphon. Since meat isn't porous, it won't work in a vacuum chamber, as it's a physical, rather than chemical change. A siphon, however, will force the brine into the meat.

Can you expend a bit? What do you mean by "siphon"? Like an iSi type one?