• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Baked Potato Foam (6•324)

Larry B

While I followed the recipe carefully, I found the mix too thick to properly and completely dispense from my ISI whipping siphon. Too much of the mixture remained in the bottom even though I sharply rapped on the bottom after inversion. The whole mixture seemed a bit gloppy after using the thickeners. Has anyone tried making this recipe without the thickeners in the potato broth?

Larry

lsbrodsky said:

While I followed the recipe carefully, I found the mix too thick to properly and completely dispense from my ISI whipping siphon. Too much of the mixture remained in the bottom even though I sharply rapped on the bottom after inversion. The whole mixture seemed a bit gloppy after using the thickeners. Has anyone tried making this recipe without the thickeners in the potato broth?

Larry

Hi Larry,

First, congratulations. This is a tricky one, and I'm impressed that you decided to give it a try!

Was the mix hot? Because you are working with carrageenan, you want to make sure that the broth is cold. Even at room temperature it won't disperse properly.

That said, it is a pretty stable foam to begin with, so yes, you could try it without the carrageenan, but you would want to leave the xanthan in.

Make sure that you don't work the potato puree. You should use a tamis or at least a ricer to make the puree so it is smooth without being overworked. When you fold the cream and broth in during step 8, make sure you are doing just that--folding it in. Don't use a hand blender.

Good luck!

Yes the mix was cold and I used a ricer for the potatoes, did not work it at all and did fold the cream in. I will try it again this weekend with only the xanthan and I am going to substitute butter for olive oil. we just did not like the olive oil flavor and tongue feel with "mashed" potatoes. Many thanks

Larry