• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braising below broiler

Anonymous Modernist 1635

• 1 month later...

Hi

I got a question for this one too.

I get the idea of simulating the coals with the broiler. What I dont get is why I need to brown the meat first, put in the other ingredients, put the lid on and then under the broiler. (2-99)

If the broiler heats the lid, which then radiats the surface of the meat so the maillard reaction occurs, why do I need to brown the meat first?

The buttom of the meat won't get any of the lid radiation ofcause, but if I where doing this old fassionon a fireI would'nt brown the meat first anyway, or did i get something the wrong way?

Also, doI use the broiler the entire time of cooking, or just until the lid is hot enough? and how hot should my oven be?I don't think my oven has got more then one broiler setting, which is full power! so could'nt that burn the meat?

Thanks

Soeren

• 3 weeks later...

soeren said:

Hi

I got a question for this one too.

I get the idea of simulating the coals with the broiler. What I dont get is why I need to brown the meat first, put in the other ingredients, put the lid on and then under the broiler. (2-99)

If the broiler heats the lid, which then radiats the surface of the meat so the maillard reaction occurs, why do I need to brown the meat first?

The buttom of the meat won't get any of the lid radiation ofcause, but if I where doing this old fassionon a fireI would'nt brown the meat first anyway, or did i get something the wrong way?

Also, doI use the broiler the entire time of cooking, or just until the lid is hot enough? and how hot should my oven be?I don't think my oven has got more then one broiler setting, which is full power! so could'nt that burn the meat?

Thanks

Soeren

In a wet environment, it takes a long time for the Maillard reaction to occur. Searing does it much more quickly. Doing it before had really lets the flavors of the Maillard reaction penetrate the dish throughout the braising process, while the lid protects the meat so it doesn't continue to brown.