• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Autoclaved French Onion Soup (3•302 and 6•150)

Anonymous Modernist 1681

Well after great success with the Caramalized Carrot Soup it's time to move onto the French Onion Soup. I've picked up my Preserving Jars 500ml * 4.

Anyone got any tips before I proceed, I'm using a Fagor Pressure Cooker which is fine as this is not a sterilastion canning as I take it.

I do not have a tray for the bottom of the pressure cooker except for the steamer basket on a trivet which I'll put the cans on or in whichever way you look at it..

I'm not sure how much water to put in. The PC instructions state to put 2 cups in for >20mins cooking so I'll do that as it is a 40min cook.

I think that's it! Anyone have any comments before I proceed? I'll get back to you with the results.

Reagrds,

Vol.

Good recipe, easy to do. Just a little bit too sweet for our taste. I will change the type of onions next time to try to correct that. (I used vidalia) The amount of water is not very important as long as you have enough. and you don't go up to the jars neck. It will just take longer to get to pressure with a larger amount. Just make sure that you don't tighten the jars cap.

Bon appetit!

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to look at my post regarding High Altitude Pressure cooking and Stock Making, in the equipment section.

I haven't made the onion soup, but I did make the potato consummé that is featured in the sidebar. I haven't tried it yet -- it's in the refrigerator. I'm planning to try some reverse spherification sour cream and chive balls to float in the consummé.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...