• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Judy Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

When I go to ethnic grocery stores although I feel out of place sometimes (usually when one of the food sample ladies is yelling in korean) I am usually so focused on looking at the food and trying to figure out uses that I forget about the people around me. I go quite a bit - at least once a month because there are so many different types of produce, herbs, spices and other products that you can't find really anywhere else. In my area (about 15 miles outside of washington dc) we have a lot of different ethnic grocery stores from middle eastern to asian to african to eastern european... it's really great.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I was way off topic, sorry. My wife in I live in Houston and we have an amazing Chinatown (Beltway 8 and Belaire). We shop at the Asian markets twice a month. The vegetables and fruit are typically 25-50% cheaper than other supermarkets. We like to purchase snow pea leaves, baby bok choy, lemon grass, japanese yams, snow peas, chinese brocolli, yuzu, and dragon fruit. They also have really good prices on sea food (including geoduck). We also like to shop at the Middle Eastern grocery stores (in Houston off of Hillcroft) for green almonds, harissa, lamb meat, tea, halva, flat bread, and lots of amazing pastries.

Seth