• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcakes: Recipes & Decorating

La Niña

I made two batches - same recipe (not from this thread due to other complications) Thanks anyway, because I have all three recipes to try later.

Batch 1: hand whisked

Batch 2: electric mixer.

Distinct difference in final height of muffins. My whisking arm needs a personal trainer.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 months later...
I made two batches - same recipe (not from this thread due to other complications) Thanks anyway, because I have all three recipes to try later.

Distinct difference in final height of muffins. My whisking arm needs a personal trainer.

what were the height differences- was batch 2 taller?

flavor floozy

I haven't made cupcakes in a bit. Thought I'd add the Halloween cupcakes made for nieces and nephews:

gallery_34972_2532_315690.jpg

Cupcakes are orange. The little bits on top are bone, pumpkin and skull shaped candies.

gallery_34972_2532_1275729.jpg

gallery_34972_2532_276178.jpg

Hard to see, but on top of the icing 'webbing' is a little plastic spider. Crappy pictures.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I have googled but I didn't find much, I am hoping y'all might have links to pretty cupcakes for a kid's birthday.

I am tired to death of purple sparkly sugar on top and was hoping to entice my kid with something really cute. She's going to be 6. She is a frou frou girly girl one day and drives the muck spreader the next. :cool:

I have a good yellow cake recipe which adapts well, but I don't have a good white cake recipe, so if you'd like to suggest one of those, I'd be happy to hear it.

Can't do chocolate, can't do nuts.

Many thanks.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Well, someone just taught me how to search Google Images. Whooohooo!

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Why not pink sparkly sugar and a marzipan muck spreader on each? She can be and do everything! Now that's feminism for ya.

:laugh:

I am not sure my marzipan molding skills are up to little spreaders. :smile:

When mine were young I made decorating the cupcakes a part of the party activities. , I organized little stations with two choices of icing cream in two colors, different toppings such as mini marshmellows, chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc. The kids had a GREAT time doing their own cupcake. Then we had a cupcake exhibition in which each cupcake was shown and praised. Just an idea!

Google butterfly cupcake. If you can't find and buy them in time you can make your own with very thinly sliced apple slices. Glaze them unless you want brown ones. Guess that would be a moth.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Lior, that's a fabulous idea. I might use that for her real party. These cupcakes are intended for school so they need to be ready-to-eat.

You guys are fabulous for links. I really appreciate it. I really want her to have fun with this and I thought we could have a little practice this weekend. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I too am still searching for the perfect plain/vanilla cupcake recipe, and I have tried many. You could try RLB's White Chocolate Whisper Cake, made as cupcakes. They are very light and fluffy. The recipe isn't as successful, I found, as a cake because it's crumbliness means it doesn't slice as well, but for cupcakes it is very nice and freezes well.

For chocolate frosting I usually use ganache, whipped, which holds up to hot weather very well. If you want a fluffier frosting, you can combine it, say 1:2 ratio of meringue buttercream:ganache. Or you could use a chocolate cream cheese frosting, which uses cocoa.

Both would stand up to heat quite well.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

Thanks Lorinda!

Another question: the bride would like to include red berries in her cupcakes; however, since her color scheme is tiffany blue and chocolate brown, the berries will need to be hidden by frosting and blue decorations. I was wondering if there is any way to incorporate the berries. Would it be OK to assemble cake + fresh berries + frosting ahead of time? How long would the gestalt last in a fridge? Also, she reallly likes Chockylit's "Blueberry & Raspberry Ricotta Almond Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting" ; however, does not want to include the almond meal because of nut allergies. Is there a good non-nut substitute for the recipe:

http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php/category/...dients/berries/

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

Thanks Lorinda! 

Another question:  the bride would like to include red berries in her cupcakes;  however, since her color scheme is tiffany blue and chocolate brown, the berries will need to be hidden by frosting and blue decorations.  I was wondering if there is any way to incorporate the berries.  Would it be OK to assemble cake + fresh berries + frosting ahead of time?  How long would the gestalt last in a fridge?  Also, she reallly likes Chockylit's  "Blueberry & Raspberry Ricotta Almond Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting" ;  however, does not want to include the almond meal because of nut allergies.  Is there a good non-nut substitute for the recipe:

http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php/category/...dients/berries/

When I take a cake order I control as many things as possible. This order looks runaway to me. For dictating a certain certain recipe for a decorated cake I would charge considerably. To change an existing recipe into the whim of the bride would be priceless as the commercial goes. No way. Incalculable cost. I have formulas I have honed out over time and those work and if I have to try something entirely new I control it and they pay my price.

Imbedding raspberries into the frosting is asking for trouble. Will they leak? Maybe maybe not. If they do what will you do? You will be handling 150 cupcakes enough times to make yourself want to scream as it is. Diddling with some recipe to re-make it into what the bride imagines in her head is impossible and could be incredibly frustrating.

You just have to decide how many hoops you wanna jump through. Times that by one hundred and fifty then multiply it by it's gotta be fresh and flavorful and beautiful and on time and underbudget and delivered safely and set up perfectly and not wilt until the appointed time. Too much math pour moi.

I mean you could sub in more flour or whirled oats. Y'know whirl them in the food processor to chop it up. Maybe toast 'em first.

I would suggest dropping berries around the cupcakes. It would be very pretty. Include some blueberries too.

Me, I would grab hold of this quick. It's too runaway.

I would not assemble these more than one night before. What will the humidity be like that day? Sometimes cupcake wrappers decide to slip away from the cake. Maybe these would be real stable and friendly. What if What if What if. My gut tells me to eliminate every potential hazard when I'm doing a (big decorated) cake and still you run smack into them. So to include them in the planning is something I try to avoid. And I try to include back up plans for as much as possible too.

Maybe you are going to use those paper souffle cups like some folks do--that's a great idea too. Cup cake wrappers can be a pia.

I couldn't get the link to come up. Does the recipe do well to be refrigerated? Does the cake still taste soft when it comes back to room temp? Sometimes I find recipes made with butter have a dry mouthfeel because I guess the butter needs a zapping in the microwave to relax or something. The cake can be wonderfully moist but if it's too firm in the mouth it's deemed dry. Scratch cake is real tricky for that reason and a thousand others.

Ramble much, Kate? :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

You just have to decide how many hoops you wanna jump through. Times that by one hundred and fifty then multiply it by it's gotta be fresh and flavorful and beautiful and on time and underbudget and delivered safely and set up perfectly and not wilt until the appointed time. Too much math pour moi.

I would not assemble these more than one night before. What will the humidity be like that day? Sometimes cupcake wrappers decide to slip away from the cake. Maybe these would be real stable and friendly. What if What if What if. My gut tells me to eliminate every potential hazard when I'm doing a (big decorated) cake and still you run smack into them. So to include them in the planning is something I try to avoid. And I try to include back up plans for as much as possible too.

Woa! Big wake-up call! Thanks for putting things in perspective with the math. I did not know that i did not know....a case of "didn't know" squared :biggrin: But, this is my first wedding cake, you know.

I'm thinking about using these glassine baking cups

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/278/10564.htm?208

Has anyone had problems with these cups sliding?...or the grease coming through and staining the fabric platform they are presented on?

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

...I'm thinking about using these glassine baking cups

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/278/10564.htm?208

Has anyone had problems with these cups sliding?...or the grease coming through and staining the fabric platform they are presented on?

My suggestion would be to test them with your recipe and fabric. An idea is to bake off your cupcakes in regular papers then perhaps slide the baked cakes into these wrappers. A wrapper for the wrapper. But still you need to test. So many variables.

K8Memphis has given some terrific advice!

The ground almonds in that cupcake recipe are what give it texture and moistness. I can't think of a reliable, acceptable non-nut substitution.

Those are lovely baking cups, with the gold pattern. However I notice when I made chocolate cupcakes in white liners, that after it is baked, the liners look dark brown; ie the brown of the chocolate cake shows through. You might want to consider this before splashing out on 300 patterned liners, as the pattern might not end up being visible.

If the bride wants red berries, rather than using raspberries (which do run), you could incorporate dried cranberries into the batter. This would be less time-consuming than fiddling around with putting fresh berries into the frosting. When doing 300 cupcakes, you need all the timesavers you can get!

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

what were the height differences- was batch 2 taller?

Batch 2 was considerably taller! Maybe 25%. I liked them better for both texture and appearance. They were more domed tho, which for me is jes' fine.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 weeks later...

Big really cool cupcake pan.

So someone was talking about a making/sculpting a big giant cupcake and this is the only cupcake thread I can find but what about this cake pan! And as I recall I sagely <cough choke sputter> recommended not diddling with the flutes aroung the bottom of the cupcake. I suggested accomplishing that look with the piping. And of course that's still true.

But I love this poppa-bear cake/cupcake pan flutes and all.

• 1 month later...

I've just re-read this whole thread and it looks like I'm not the only one who hasn't found an amazing vanilla cupcake recipe. I've made CI's and Whimsical Bakehouse...they seem a bit too dense for me. I tried another recipe I found in several places online that is made with oil and sour cream rather than butter and it was super moist but a bit greasy and obviously didn't taste like butter. Today I tried Sherry Yard's Buttermilk Birthday Cupcakes which I guess are a sponge. They are moist, great flavour, just delicious BUT they don't look nice. They are either totally flat or even a tiny bit sunken and they must have shrunk up a bit as they cooled because some of them aren't quite round anymore. I can hide the top with icing but the odd shapes would be hard to hide. From my experimenting I'm getting the feeling that buttermilk or sourcream need to be involved and perhaps a bit of oil as well as butter. I notice ComeUndone uses pound cake and I haven't tried that yet but my thought is that it would be dense although perhaps more moist and maybe that would make the difference.

So what vanilla cupcake recipe do you use? I'd like one that is very moist with a bit of an open crumb. I'd also like it to hold up for a couple days and freeze well.

That's not asking much, is it?! :)

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Hi everyone

I came up with some un-usual deco. ideas for cupcakes today...hopefully my photos will help you guys in someway or another! :o)

I find that to ensure good texture in a cupcake, one should always use the creaming method. A couple of martha's one bowl cupcakes always end up gummy and loaded with air pockets when I make them, so I stick to good ol' creaming.

Mango Passion Cupcake

gallery_58558_5702_369336.jpg

Dark Chocolate/Vanilla Cupcake

gallery_58558_5702_295439.jpg

Cinnamon Chocolate Cupcake

gallery_58558_5702_145230.jpg