• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcakes: Recipes & Decorating

La Niña

These are the ones I ended up making for my son's class.

My son was very happy.  :wub: (of course, he's only 6, lol.)

Those are just lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...

I made cupcakes from Flo Braker's buttermilk cake..it is a bit domed.

I need them to have flat top.

Will lowering baking temperature help?

I saw one English Baker have her cupcake one third filled ( when finished) and the icing is then filled to the rim, flat..very beautiful.

Anyone has experience in this?

:smile::smile::smile:

iii

• 1 month later...

kim, you're on a photo posting rampage! congrats on figuring it out.

great cupcakes.

i love how they are so perfectly domed and NOT overflowing like the ones i end up with :hmmm:

do you have a specific recipe you're working with, or is it just a cake recipe that you portion into cupcake pans?

kim, you're on a photo posting rampage!  congrats on figuring it out.

great cupcakes.

i love how they are so perfectly domed and NOT overflowing like the ones i end up with  :hmmm:

do you have a specific recipe you're working with, or is it just a cake recipe that you portion into cupcake pans?

The recipes are:

Ginger Cupcakes w/ Ginger Frosting

Chocolate Bar Cupcakes

Spiced Latte Cupcakes

Mounds Cupcakes

And the assorted ones are:

Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes

Lemon Cream Cupcakes w/ Coconut

Jelly Filled Cupcakes w/ Peanut Butter Frosting

Peanut Butter Chip Cupcakes w/ Chocolate Ganache

• 2 months later...

Hi. I hope a British fairy cake is permitted on this thread. I made these for my daughters this afternoon for when they got home from school. The most common topping for this style of cake in the UK is icing sugar mixed with water and whatever colouring you fancy. I used pink because it appeals to my girls and the decorations on the top are sugared rose and violet sweets. I love the swirls of buttercream frosting on some of the cakes in this thread - they look wonderful.

Here are mine from earlier.

gallery_49006_3891_106641.jpg

• 4 months later...

I made cupcakes for the first time yesterday and they were a big hit at my birthdayparty!

bananacupcakes with peanutbuttercups and milk chocolate ganache, and orange ginger cupcakes with orange creamcheese frosting. They were so easy to make and looked very pretty. These won't be my last cupcakes!

gallery_21505_2929_61640.jpg

Hi guys!,

I have been trying many cupcake recipes and all came out with domed tops!

I noticed from the recent posted picutres above( Kim's Rachel's and Chufi's), yours have flat top.

What recipe do you use, or is it just low temperature?

I baked mine at 350.

And, scientifically, what is it that makes the cake dome??

SOS

Thanks

iii :smile:

Edited by iii_bake (log)

Hi guys!,

I noticed from the recent posted picutres above( Kim's Rachel's and Chufi's), yours have flat top.

I baked mine at 350.

SOS

Thanks

Gosh, I have no idea. I am a dunce when it comes to anything scientific :rolleyes: ! Maybe someone else can explain???

Kim

Hi guys!,

I baked mine at 350.

SOS

Thanks

Gosh, I have no idea. I am a dunce when it comes to anything scientific :rolleyes: ! Maybe someone else can explain???

Kim

Found this Googling...it's from Rose Levy Beranbaum's website...it may apply to cupcakes, too:

"Why Cakes Dome."

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

^^^RLB's yellow cake recipe also does not dome. I frequently make the recipe as cupcakes and have never experienced doming. The recipe is available from the above site.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I made cupcakes for the first time yesterday and they were a big hit at my birthdayparty!

bananacupcakes with peanutbuttercups and milk chocolate ganache, and orange ginger cupcakes with orange creamcheese frosting. They were so easy to make and looked very pretty. These won't be my last cupcakes!

gallery_21505_2929_61640.jpg

Chufi, would you share the recipe for the peanutbuttter cups? I have a lot of peanutbutter and would like to make some. :smile:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Hi guys!,

I baked mine at 350.

SOS

Thanks

Kim

Found this Googling...it's from Rose Levy Beranbaum's website...it may apply to cupcakes, too:

"Why Cakes Dome."

Okkkk! Got it.

I will try and see how it works.

I have the strips but for the cup cake with strips around all of them sounds impossible.

So i will try adding more leavening, The idea is totally on the opposite from what i thought. Ignorant me, i thought adding leavening will make it dome higher, but Rose says it will lower the dome!

Thank you very much indeed.

Hi guys!,

I baked mine at 350.

SOS

Thanks

Kim

"Why Cakes Dome."

Okkkk! Got it.

I will try and see how it works.

I have the strips but for the cup cake with strips around all of them sounds impossible.

So i will try adding more leavening, The idea is totally on the opposite from what i thought. Ignorant me, i thought adding leavening will make it dome higher, but Rose says it will lower the dome!

Thank you very much indeed.

If that doesn't work, one of the other solutions she offered was to add an extra ounce of butter.

Or, as sanrensho suggested, try Rose's Yellowcake recipe.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Look at all these cupcakes! Ok, may be some of you cupcake masters can help.

I got myself signed up for a cupcake bake-off in a few weeks. I bake, but have only baked cupcakes maybe once or twice in my life. So I need help!

First, can someone point me to a good cupcake cookbook or two? I would like to get something that has cupcake tips, a variety of recipes, and most importantly, recipes that you've tried and had success with.

Second, here are some ideas I came up with and want to get some feedback:

* Coconut and lime - coconut cupcake with lime curd, coconut frosting (buttercream or meringue) sprinkled with toasted coconut and lime zest

* Chocolate cupcake with malt frosting baked in ice cream cones - I kind of want this to mimic ice cream, so maybe even strawberry or vanilla cupcakes

* Nutella - hazelnut cupcake with chocolate ganache frosting sprinkled with praline grains

Advice is appreciated!

Has anyone tried the Emergency Blender Cupcakes--maybe Abigail Dodge's recipe?

Yes I have. They're not my favorite for tenderness or lightness, but they'll do in an emergency. They're very easy and my two children, ages 4 and 6 made them by themselves (I only put them in the oven and took them out. They did everything else.) and they came out fine. So they're also very easy.

Shaloop--since I posted and received your reply I have tried the emergency cupcakes and agree with you. They were perfect for letting a 6 year old "help". I made whipped ganache which was better than the cupcakes which she then commenced to ruin with some vile tasting sprinkles!! Oh well, it was her project!!

• 2 months later...

I need to bake some dairy-free chocolate cupcakes with purple frosting,

or conversely, some purple cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

I'm leaning toward the first as being easier.

(The color/flavor is non-negotiable, as its a special 3rd birthday request by the birthday child. "I want purple chocolate cupcakes" is the exact phrasing of the oft-repeated request.)

I've never made cupcakes before & wont have time for a retry (then again, the intended audience wont be deducting points for appearance).

Im wondering which would serve better, of these two recipes, for the chocolate cupcake? -

Kim Shooks Chocolate Bar Cupcakes (upthread this page)

or Ina Garten's Chocolate Ganache cupcakes (upthread several pages)

I'm leaning toward the Chocolate Bar recipe, so I dont have to figure out a butter substitute.

The only frosting I know is powdered sugar+butter+vanilla. I see Rachellindsay used water and color to get a reasonably thick coat.

Does anyone have any other non-dairy realllllllllllllly simple frosting ideas?

It would be nice to achieve the color with berry juice rather than food coloring, but certainly not imperative.

thanks for any and all suggestions, comments and help.

<et correct username spelling>

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I've made the cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and they were pretty good! (I might not put them head-to-head with some of my favorite non-vegan recipes, but they were very tasty and much appreciated)

Here's a summary of the recipe:

Mix together 1 cup soy milk and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and set aside, allowing to curdle. After a few minutes, add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1 cup AP flour, 3/4 teasp. baking soda, 1/2 teasp. baking powder, and 1/4 teasp. salt. Add dry ingredients to wet in two batches, and mix until there are no large lumps. Pour into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners (3/4 full) and bake at 350 for 18-20 mins.

I forget what I used for icing - I think a simple recipe from the Joy of Cooking. Sorry I can't be more help on that end!

Edited by Nina C. (log)

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Hi guys!,

I baked mine at 350.

SOS

Thanks

Mine often come out of the oven with rounded tops - when this happens I slice off the tops with a sharp knife to make a flat surface for icing.

edited to correct a typo

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)