• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcakes: Recipes & Decorating

La Niña

So here was...if I say so myself... a brilliant cupcake twist. I was making the Cooks Illustrated "perfect cupcakes", when I realized I didn't have heavy cream for the ganache icing.

I did have evaporated milk. Thinking of my favorite, since I was nine years old fudge recipe, I heated the evaporated milk, added the chocolate, and let it melt. Stirred it up, and smoothed the just warm fudge onto the not completely cooled cupcakes. The fudge hardened on top of the little cakes, they look fantastic, taste great-- and best of all, travelled incredibly... no frosting mush.

voila-- cake and candy in one!

How did I miss seeing this the first time I read the thread? What a great idea - especially since I almost never have cream in the house, but evaporated milk is easy. Hmm... more cupcakes tonight, I think! :biggrin:

[edited to add:]

Did you whip the ganache or leave it smooth and glossy? When I tasted my ganache to decide whether to whip it, I realized that for cupcake frosting my tastebuds demand whipped frosting. The smooth & glossy version was pretty, but not right for cupcakes.

Edited by Lexica (log)

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

• 2 weeks later...

I made the Ina Garten coconut cupcakes for a friend's birthday weekend, and was utterly impessed. Perfectly moist, deliriously rich... I was surprised that the recipe instructed you to just put the coconut on top, so I toasted mine. ::drool::

Sinclair, you seriously make a regular-sized cake from this? Talk about too much of a good thing!!

So here was...if I say so myself... a brilliant cupcake twist. I was making the Cooks Illustrated "perfect cupcakes", when I realized I didn't have heavy cream for the ganache icing.

I did have evaporated milk. Thinking of my favorite, since I was nine years old fudge recipe, I heated the evaporated milk, added the chocolate, and let it melt. Stirred it up, and smoothed the just warm fudge onto the not completely cooled cupcakes. The fudge hardened on top of the little cakes, they look fantastic, taste great-- and best of all, travelled incredibly... no frosting mush.

voila-- cake and candy in one!

How did I miss seeing this the first time I read the thread? What a great idea - especially since I almost never have cream in the house, but evaporated milk is easy. Hmm... more cupcakes tonight, I think! :biggrin:

[edited to add:]

Did you whip the ganache or leave it smooth and glossy? When I tasted my ganache to decide whether to whip it, I realized that for cupcake frosting my tastebuds demand whipped frosting. The smooth & glossy version was pretty, but not right for cupcakes.

This is a brilliant idea. I'm on cupcake detail this week for the school. I think these will be perfect. I'm thinking whipped for the ganache, but that's just me.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

How much chocolate did you add to the evap milk? That sounds like a great icing for schools, as it didn't mush. I am the class mother who bakes everything, so this is always a problem for me. Thanks.

sorry for the delay--I was away..

its 14 oz of chocolate to one can of evaporated milk, and a healthy splash of vanilla

What size can of evaporated milk were you using?

Di

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank my fellow eGulleteers for tipping me off to Ina Garten's Coconut Cupcakes -- you helped me win my department's annual bakeoff! My mini cupcakes trounced the competition, which included treats like a strawberry orange cream pie, an apple walnut cake with buttercream icing, among others. This recipe rules!

• 6 months later...

Last night I made a batch of the burnt sugar cake cupcakes for my office. Big hit so thanks for the recipe. I'm interested in technicque tips for burning the sugar since mine seized horribly when I added the boiling water. I just reheated and fished out a few of the more stubborn clumps to salvage but I figure there is a better way. Thanks.

Hello There:)

Here are my latest cupcakes made from Italian Buttercream and the vanilla cupcake recipe in the Whimsical Bakehouse Book.

I just want to say all you guys have taught me tremendously over the last year of me lurking!.. :biggrin: A BIG THANKYOU!

gallery_11685_1434_371060.jpg

-- Jane:)

Edited by MissJane (log)

Hello There:)

Here are my latest cupcakes made from Italian Buttercream and the vanilla cupcake recipe in the Whimsical Bakehouse Book.

I just want to say all you guys have taught me tremendously over the last year of me lurking!.. :biggrin:  A BIG THANKYOU!

gallery_11685_1434_371060.jpg

Miss Jane, those are GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for posting. I would love to hear a little about how you managed to pipe them without incurring crippling hand-cramps. :wink: Did you pipe the flowers directly onto the cupcakes, or did you pipe the flowers onto nails and transfer them? I aspire to such beautiful buttercream flowers, but have yet to achieve such splendor.

Miss Jane, those are GORGEOUS!!!  Thanks for posting.  I would love to hear a little about how you managed to pipe them without incurring crippling hand-cramps.  :wink:  Did you pipe the flowers directly onto the cupcakes, or did you pipe the flowers onto nails and transfer them?  I aspire to such beautiful buttercream flowers, but have yet to achieve such splendor.

Thankyou!:) I piped all the flowes on directly on the cupcakes. They way I managed not to bump any of the flowers is that I started with the Roses first and then set them up in the fridge. Then I moved unto the other flowers finishing with the " Marigold" look to fill in any spaces.

The Roses arent perfect as I had trouble getting the right angles when I piped, but that didnt matter as every other flower pressed against the roses so it hid all the flaws;)..

Thankyou!:) I piped all the flowes on directly on the cupcakes. They way I managed not to bump any of the flowers is that I started with the Roses first and then set them up in the fridge. Then I moved unto the other flowers finishing with the " Marigold" look to fill in any spaces.

The Roses arent perfect as I had trouble getting the right angles when I piped, but that didnt matter as every other flower pressed against the roses so it hid all the flaws;)..

Chilling the cupcakes down between flowers is a terrific idea -- d'oh! Good technique for cakes as well, I should think, when you're going for that over-stuffed look. On my list of things to try!

• 2 months later...

Ina Garten has a new recipe for chocolate cupcakes that is very simple and produces a moist, fudgy cupcake. It uses chocolate syrup, so if you don't like the taste of Hershey's syrup you might not like them. I made them for work and they were very well recieved. I covered with bittersweet ganache to balance the sweet cupcake.

gallery_23736_355_13511.jpg

Chocolate ganache cupcakes

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 3 weeks later...

I made a variety of cupcakes for a special occasion a few days ago. I'm happy with most of the results. You can read my review notes in my blog.

gallery_15649_128_12463.jpg

top row: coffee cake + coffee buttercream, vanilla cake + pistachio buttercream, green tea cake + azuki bean buttercream, coffee cake + ganache

middle row: coconut cake + cream cheese frosting, chocolate cake + ganache, lemon cake + lemon buttercream

bottom row: coconut cake + mango buttercream, chocolate cake + coffee buttercream, vanilla cake + strawberry buttercream, carrot cake + cream cheese frosting

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

Candy, you're making me drool. What great flavour combos. I want to have a bite of all of them. I especially like the sound of coconut cake with mango buttercream. Mmmmm... I've got a simple question, what size tip did you use for piping?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 weeks later...
These chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese filling are my old potluck standby. they are fudgey and creamy, not too sweet and can be in the oven in less than a half hour. They are actually better when made a day ahead to allow the flavor of the cocoa to develop. Not at all elegant or sophisticated, but everyone loves them! This makes a lot of cupcakes, so you might want to halve the recipe, or make all of them and freeze half.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Filling

For Chocolate Cake:

3 cups flour

2/3 cup cocoa

2 tsp baking soda

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

2 cups cold water

1/2 cup + 2 Tbs veg. oil

1 Tbs vanilla

2 Tbs white vinegar

mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl mix all the liquid ingredients. pour the wet into the dry and whisk until smooth - don't worry about overmixing. Batter will be quite liquid.

For Filling

12 oz cream cheese - room temp

2 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1-1/4 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cups chopped, toasted walnuts

Beat together the cream cheese, eggs and sugar. stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

Put paper liners in muffin tins. fill each about 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter. Top with a generous 1 Tbs blob of filling. no need to push the filling down or put more batter on top, as the batter will bake up around it and there will just be a bit of the cream cheese showing on top of the baked cupcake.

Hi,

I was planning to try these cupcakes but than i noticed that there were no eggs in the recipe for the cupcakes.there are eggs in the filling but not in the cakes itself.Is this OK?

i know you guys are all experts ,so please pardon me for the dumb question!!

We made cupcakes as the dessert for the fund raiser event for my daughter's school last spring. I was in charge of coordinating the effort, and had about a dozen moms at my house to frost 1,000 cupcakes. Some of them had never frosted anything before. It was really a lot of fun. The cupcakes were set up on a tiered display that one of the dads built. I can't find a photo of that, but I wanted to post a photo of some cupcakes I made earlier this year. I just can't figure out how.

Can anyone tell me? Thanks!

I love this thread!! It is so much fun!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

ComeUndone, i'm practically having multiple orgasms over your blog.

you laugh, but i'm serious!

the mango mousse cake made my toes curl.

someone's mom used to make cupcakes with miniature candybars melted in the middle. milky way, snickers, three musketeers. too sweet, but such fun.

Candy...sorry...I just read your blog! Fantastic!  Thank you so much for sharing everything!!!

ComeUndone, i'm practically having multiple orgasms over your blog.

you laugh, but i'm serious!

the mango mousse cake made my toes curl.

Where can I find this? I have to read more about mango mousse cake and mango buttercream! MMMMMM

:laugh::biggrin::raz: This reminds me of the When Harry Met Sally fake orgasm scene....ending with the lady at the next table saying, "I'll have what she's having." :laugh:

Freddurf....just click on comeundone's blog.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah