• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide bags and plastic degradation/leaching?

Anonymous Modernist 197

• 3 months later...

How do I stop my bags from blowing (inflating) during cooking. For example whilst cooking oxtail for 100 hours I had to change the bag 4 times therefore resulting in the oxtail spoiling and becoming sour.

If your bags are inflating it's a good bet that you have pathogens growing. The most common causes of this is too large a piece of meat and/or too low a water temperature.

Normal sous-vide cooking should not generate gas. If the bags are fully submerged there would be no way for gas to get in even if there is a leak. In the event of a leak the water bath will cloud from the juices inside the bag, but the bag would still not inflate.

• 4 weeks later...

aidenbyrne said:

How do I stop my bags from blowing (inflating) during cooking. For example whilst cooking oxtail for 100 hours I had to change the bag 4 times therefore resulting in the oxtail spoiling and becoming sour.

What kind of bags are you using? The quality of the bag can be a factor. Otherwise, like vengroff said, the meat could have pathogens growing. You could have surface cross-contamination causing the meat to ferment.