• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

• 2 weeks later...

LFMichaud said:

I have a MAPP torch but I haven't seen any recommendation on how to use it in the kitchen. Since it's hot enough to theoretically melt any kitchenware I'm wondering about how to use it. Until I'm more confident it will be outside on the BBQ grill. But how do you use your torch?

Thank for the info

So as not to burn the counter, I first get out a thick wooden cutting board, or something else that is heat-resistant. Then I put a metal cookie sheet on it. On top of that, I put a low cooling rack, and place the meat on top. Make sure that you are only pointing the torch at the meat, holding it so the tip of the blue flame just touches the meat. You don't want to ever point it at the cookie sheet, because aluminum will warp and can actually be poisonous when it does so.

And of course, make sure to store it properly and always keep it away from other heat sources.