• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Magic/Fresh Meals Magic

After putting all the components of Seattle Food Geek's DIY immersion circulator in my Amazon basket I remembered that I know next to nothing about assembling electronics. That fact, and my sincere desire to avoid electrocution, led me to consider purchasing a commercial circulator. Does anyone have any experience with the Sous Vide Magic and the Fresh Meals Magic? I'm interested in the FMM because of its circulating abilities, I would much prefer that over a water bath. I appreciate any answers you can give me.

I was a beta tester for the SVM, still have three or four, and have custom calibrated well over a dozen. They are certainly the least expensive way to do precision sous vide cooking, and the customer support is outstanding. I don't have any personal experience yet with the Fresh Meals Magic -- I use a variety of rice cookers, but you can also use a crock pot, a turkey fryer, and a variety of other dumb electrical appliances.

For most applications, you don't really need a circulating water bath, unless you are cooking very large quantities of food, but on the other hand it does help to even out any fluctuations, and to come up to temperature quickly.

I recently summarized the pros and cons of various such devices on eGullet, athttp://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/136275-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2011/page__st__780.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an SVM+FMM and also a Sous Vide Professional. I also used the SVM with a rice cooker. I did the SVM+Rice Cooker for about a year. Its primary limitations are capacity (unless you have a really big rice cooker), power (can take quite a while to hit a high temp) and usability (too many wires, rice cooker ending up on warm instead of cook, sensor getting intoinconvenientplaces). I used SVM+FMM very regularly for at least 6 months. It still has too many parts, usability wise, but not too bad, really. The power is excellent. I've not had any issues with circulation. I still use the SVM+FMM when I need to do a whole cooler of stuff, or need a second set-up. It is a very good combo. I do prefer the usability of the the SV Professional (it is extremely nice to use), but it is definitely a large step in price and isn't as flexible as the SVM+FMM.

• 1 year later...

personnaly, i had a bad experience with the fms. The weakness is that there is no safety fuse on it, and it's not an aprove device by UL or CSA. I almost set my kitchen i fire because of that. It's true the support is good, Frank the conceptor, took my device back and refund me. Same thing for my colleague who send it back. I own 3 sous vide pro and i use those since they came out, and never had a problem. Now i have a crative model that is at a cheaper price and do the same job. Deffinatly suggest polyscience product for quality, reliability and support.

• 1 month later...

I have an SVM and FMM

I originally used the SVM with a crock pot, then a rice cooker. Like the others stated, the rice cooker is a capacity problem - although it works great. I just picked up a new FMM from Frank (or should I say, he dropped it off at my office!) and it works amazing and can heat a large pot in no time, definitely recommended. The customer service is superb!