• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drying chamber for cured meats

On 2/4/2019 at 10:47 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

@kayb Are you still considering this?

I plan to get mine up and running in the not too distant future.

I'll document it, if there's interest.

I won't be curing anything fancy.

I'm past the fun phase of curing "stuff" from all over the world.

Now, it'll mostly be Appalachian stuff and other basics—simple stuff.

I have too many irons in the fire and a loss of interest in "fancy."

Still planning on it, but don't have a spot for the dorm fridge at the moment. We will be moving this spring or summer, and I'll likely buy a used fridge and set one up then. I'd like to be able to cure sausages and such.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 10 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:41 PM, SLB said:

Can anybody point me to this thread?  @DiggingDogFarm?

I didn't get it documented due to issues with depression.

Hopefully I can when I set it back up in the spring.

The chambers sit on an unheated porch — the weather is currently too cold.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Got it. 

Shelby mentioned this guy in response to someone's query on ducks:  https://honest-food.net/

And he has a podcast that I'm now listening to, which featured a great episode on salami basics and another on curing whole chunks; and then I went hunting the threads on the subject, which brought me here.

Definitely no pressure on the documentation project!  But know that I'm rooting for you and everybody this winter.  Happy Solstice, peeps, and good eating.  

Edited by SLB (log)