• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Will the cooler temp adversely affect the drying process? Will it take more time, or less, to cure? (Doesn't matter, but would be good to know.) Are there any big reasons this method would NOT work?

After initial fermentation (when applicable)— I 'cure' at relatively low temperatures...40° to 45° and ~80% relative humidity.

I learned the technique from "The British Butcher" Robert Goodrick.

Robert is a respected professional and a great guy!

Pros: Longer curing leads to better flavors and there's MUCH less chance of case hardening—which is an extremely important and welcome benefit! No issues with humidity control.

Cons: It takes longer!

I STONGLY recommend a mini chest freezer over a mini fridge—you'll avoid a lot of headaches.

My mini freezers are GE, I don't have any experience with other brands.

Among other issues, the main issue with mini fridges is the tiny freezer inside where water can condense and drip.

I use the temperature and humidity control system from Perfect Cheese.

https://www.perfect-cheese.com/total-conditioning-package

It permits both humidifying AND dehumidifying via one pound of food safe silica gel.

I've never had to humidify in a mini chest freezer when curing at low temperatures—only dehumidify.

I've never had a failed batch.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Will the cooler temp adversely affect the drying process? Will it take more time, or less, to cure? (Doesn't matter, but would be good to know.) Are there any big reasons this method would NOT work?

After initial fermentation (when applicable)— I 'cure' at relatively low temperatures...40° to 45° and ~80% relative humidity.

Pros: Longer curing leads to better flavors and there's MUCH less chance of case hardening—which is an extremely important and welcome benefit! No issues with humidity control.

I STONGLY recommend a mini chest freezer over a mini fridge—you'll avoid a lot of headaches.

Among other issues, the main issue with mini fridges is the tiny freezer inside where water can condense and drip.

It permits both humidifying AND dehumidifying via one pound of food safe silica gel.

I've never had to humidify in a mini chest freezer when curing at low temperatures—only dehumidify.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1 hour ago, kayb said:

It permits both humidifying AND dehumidifying via food safe silica gel.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

34 minutes ago, kayb said:

It permits both humidifying AND dehumidifying via food safe silica gel.