• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Barbecue Joints

Judy Wilson

• 4 months later...

My favorite in Texas is Salt Lick (beef ribs, brisket)in Driftwood, Texas. City Market (all items) in Luling is good, as is Kruez Market (brisket and sausage) in Lockhart (hard to go wrong at any of the Lockhart venues). Ironworks (brisket and sides) in Austin is pretty good. Myer's in Elgin (sausage, brisket, and turket)is good and Southside market is also decent. New Zion bbq (ribs) was okay (Huntsville). Cooper's in Llano was great (pork chops are amazing). Lambert's in Austin is good, but it is a more modern bbq joint. Finally, the brisket at Thompson's in Crockett was amazing (the ribs are supposed to be the best thing on the menu, but he sold out of them before 1pm and we did not try them).

Seth

Seth, good recommendations. I love the brisket at the Salt Lick, but have never been crazy about the sauce. Strange, since it tied with R.O.'s Outpost for "Best Barbecue Sauce" in the 2011 Austin Chronicle Restaurant Poll, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Been to most of the others you mention and agree they're all good. In fact, it's pretty hard to find a BBQ joint in Texas that isn't pretty good from the get-go.

A relatively recent addition to the Austin scene is Franklin's barbecue on 11th Street. It was voted "Best Brisket in the History of the World" in the 2011 Austin Chronicle Restaurant Poll. That one I'm more likely to agree with, although in my opinion it's about tied with Cooper's, which also has locations in New Braunfels and Fort Worth.

- Robert

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Haven't been to Franklin but i do enjoy Muellers in Taylor, TX.   Smitty's in Lockhart is also a must do.  

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!