• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Ivan on Blue Hill

Fat Guy

This is a parody, right?  How clever, and well thought out and such an improvement . I'm kidding.  It's really very dull.and although most of the off topic  chats didn't interest me  I think it was brilliant  idea to come up with  a

thread that is worse than the off topic threads.

Why, thank you! I have often been called "brilliant", but never by anyone called "laura".

--

ID

--

The initial biography was cute. :cool:

The review in the same style of prose was tedious. :sad: It told me close to nothing about dining at Blue Hill.

Ivan, you are very fortunate you have been given an outlet for your flimflammery.

I don't see the sense in continuing to read your stuff. Fortunately, I always carry my own sense with me.

--mark

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

It told me close to nothing about dining at Blue Hill.

again, i'm pretty sure this was 100% satire and was not intended to be a review of blue hill in any way. in fact, the mens and ladies restrooms are unisexual, and are most definitely situated together. this fact doesn't fit into the description in the story.

i'm a regular dick tracey. it must be contagious.

Edited by tommy (log)

I thought we had already discussed/nit-picked/analyzed the food at Blue Hill pretty comprehensively.

I thought it was funny :biggrin:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I thought we had already discussed/nit-picked/analyzed the food at Blue Hill pretty comprehensively.

I thought it was funny :biggrin:

Adding to Blondie's points: maybe readers don't recognize the numbeer of eGullet folk and eG references in it. Skimming it, I didn't.

Ivan has never been to Blue Hill ( or if he as it's well disguised).. That's the point of it.

His table is obviously table #44 (picked up from posts here)written about previously by Majumdar.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=58&t=8546

Edited by yvonne johnson (log)

Adding to Blondie's points: maybe readers don't recognize the numbeer of eGullet folk and eG references in it.   Skimming it, I didn't.

Ivan has never been to Blue Hill ( or if he as it's well disguised)..  That's the point of it.

His table is obviously table #44 (picked up from posts here)written about previously by Majumdar.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=58&t=8546

indeed. and for a primer course:

i'm the "ruggedly handsome" guy with the peppermill and wine glass.

wilfrid is the "mild-looking" poncey man who knocked the wine glass over.

jason is the geek who was interested in the commodore 64.

etc.

Edited by tommy (log)

wilfrid is the "mild-looking" poncey man who knocked the wine glass over.

jason is the geek who was interested in the commodore 64.

etc.

and its my guess it was Colonel Mustard in the lounge with the candlestick!

mustardbg.jpg

Edited by awbrig (log)

I don't think you can be entirely sure about that, Tommy. I mean, the peppermill and the wine glass fit, but .... :hmmm:

I enjoyed Ivan's piece. It was entertaining, and it struck chords on the subject of dining (especially dining alone) that gave it authenticity and relevance at eGullet. I have to say that the thread title and forum were poorly chosen, and I would rather have seen it in the General forum with a title like "The Lone Diner" or some such.

So bravo, Ivan, please don't allow the churls to deflect you from your mission (whatever that is) nor from providing the rest of us with some entertaining insights.

I did realize that this was not supposed to be a genuine review of Blue Hill.

I have read many real posts about Blue Hill.

I even realized there were some eG insider references.

I just didn't think it was very amusing prose at the time.

Or a move in the supposed direction of a serious food BBS - though I don't have a strong feeling whether the board moves that way or not - I like it fine now the way it is.

Sorry I'm a grouch - my toe hurts.

I'm sure if I meet Ivan sometime we will get along fine.

What's a good thing to eat when you're sulking and your toe hurts?

can't be too fattening....I'm trying to lighten up. :wink:

--Mark

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.