• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Ivan on Blue Hill

Fat Guy

Our official unauthorized historian, Ivan, has reviewed Blue Hill.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

NEW YEAR'S Day was to mark the debut of my Magnum Opus, a 170-volume work retelling the History of the Western World, written entirely in free verse.

Free verse? Wanker.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

(I])saw before me a ruggedly handsome young man holding an immense pepper grinder. "Always carry your own," he replied cryptically, and disappeared into the Men's Wash Room,

I love your metaphoric eloquence.

I deftly swiveled my head and saw before me a ruggedly handsome young man holding an immense pepper grinder. Gratefully, I copiously peppered my dish, and returned the pepper grinder to the young man, thanking him. "Always carry your own," he replied cryptically, and disappeared into the Men's Wash Room, where he was no doubt heading when my lamentations reached his ears. I took a bite of the now-properly seasoned Bass Tartar, and returned to my Magnum Opus.
Who dirinks magnum Opus with Bass Tartar? And we all know the real Ivan is dead. Of course the pepper was poisoned. Alas we have but a charade or perhaps more properly a facade of the real Ivan assuming the portrait gracing today's installment is supposed to be more up to date than the last one. Still it serves as a lesson for all. It may be bad manners in the US to reject the offer of a stranger's pepper, but the French know better how to carry on in a public restaurant where, for them, eating out is a life and death matter of a different kind.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

This is a parody, right? How clever, and well thought out and such an improvement . I'm kidding. It's really very dull.and although most of the off topic chats didn't interest me I think it was brilliant idea to come up with a

thread that is worse than the off topic threads.

What they all said and...if I were the folks at Blue Hill...I don't think I would want to be parodied like this...maybe I'm off base, it certainly wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: ...I know it's "publicity"...but, I would prefer real food reviews like appear in the NY Board...or discussions on other boards.

Free Verse? Piffle. Ottava rima (abababcc), now that would be impressive.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ivan's History of the Western World sounds suspiciously similar to Joe Gould's Oral History of the World (see the short story entitled Joe Gould's Secret - it's in a compendium by writer Joseph Mitchell, entitled The Old Hotel). Let's hope Ivan doesn't meet the same sad fate as Joe Gould (or Joseph Mitchell, for that matter).

edit: comment reconsidered and withdrawn.

Actually, I thought it was a valid point. Aren't there other Russian surnames that are a plural noun? Can't think of one off-hand, but it seems plausible.

--

ID

--

What she said.

Which "she?"

Jinmyo called me a wanker.

Helena furthered the discussion on the origin of your surname.

Sandra said that I suck compared to off-topic chat.

Of course, you can agree with all three without contradiction.

My only consolation, as I recover from the devastating blows to my ego inflicted by Jinmyo and Sandra is that (a) Any male over the age of 13 who denies being a wanker is either lying or worse, and (b) To OTC junkies in the throes of OTC withdrawals everything sucks compared to OTC.

Edited by ivan (log)

--

ID

--