• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Sous Vide Rare Beef Jus (2•349 and 6•40)

Wayt Gibbs

The complete recipe for Sous Vide Rare Beef Jus--along with backstory on its creation, tips on selecting the meat, and a step-by-step video that illustrates how to use a centrifuge to clarify the jus--is now available in the Recipe Library. We're looking forward to hearing what you think of the recipe, and what dishes you find go well with the jus.

Wayt Gibbs

Editor in chief, Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking and Modernist Cuisine at Home

The Cooking Lab, LLC

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve tried this, with less desir­able results. I used a beef chuck roast, cut off most the fat, about 1kg. Sliced across the grain, about 1cm thick. Sprinkled meat with 1cap­sule of NOW brand brome­lain. Vac packed, cooked at 53C with poly­science cir­cu­la­tor. The result was meat mush. Much of the meat broke down into a mahogany col­ored paste. The taste was fine, very savory, but the tex­ture (and color) was dis­gust­ing (and I have a strong stom­ach). Any ideas what hap­pened? I have checked the temp with a lab ther­mome­ter, less than .1C off. The brome­lain from NOW foods was fresh; just opened container.

jmelanson said:

I’ve tried this, with less desir­able results. I used a beef chuck roast, cut off most the fat, about 1kg. Sliced across the grain, about 1cm thick. Sprinkled meat with 1cap­sule of NOW brand brome­lain. Vac packed, cooked at 53C with poly­science cir­cu­la­tor.
The result was meat mush. Much of the meat broke down into a mahogany col­ored paste. The taste was fine, very savory, but the tex­ture (and color) was dis­gust­ing (and I have a strong stom­ach).
Any ideas what hap­pened? I have checked the temp with a lab ther­mome­ter, less than .1C off. The brome­lain from NOW foods was fresh; just opened container.

Were able to squeeze out any jus at all?

• 1 month later...

jmelanson said:

There was plenty of liquid, but with a consistency of grainy flour paste. I think that the bromelian worked too well, and much of the meat dissolved. Not attractive.

Hi jmelanson,

Have you tried using less Bromelain or none at all? That might work better for you and the meat might turn out less gluey.