• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Ricotta Salata

Anonymous Modernist 755

On the gels chapter there is a brief discussion on ricotta, and in the parametric table for cheeses it says that if you want to make dry ricotta you can add 0.7% salt, press it for 2-3 days in fridge, then hang for 2-3 weeks. 0.7% of what weight? The milk? or the ricotta you get? Is it added to the milk? I assume you press it in a cheese basket, with only a little weight? What are the environmental conditions supposed to be during the hanging?

Thanks. Good timing. I just made the ricotta yesterday, it is currently in the fridge wrapped in cheesecloth in a ricotta basket with about a 1 lb weight on it. Are you sure the refrigerator is not too dry? I've tried this once before and the ricotta "case hardened" like a salame would b/c the environment was too dry. It then cracked and was rather wet in the center. A failure in other words. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I can again confirm that putting the ricotta in the fridge, to cure uncovered, yields a disgusting cracked yellow block of leathery cheese with a moist interior.

Is the cheese supposed to be covered during the aging to stop the evaporation? If so, how does it dry out?

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Yes, you should keep the ricotta wrapped in cheesecloth while drying. This allows the right balance of drying and retaining moisture.