• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC restaurant suggestions

Hi Bill,

If you can't get into Ko, you should try Momofuku Ssam. Also, try shooting for an early lunch at Ko on a weekend-- sometimes they have spaces available.

There aren't that many modernist options in NYC. wd~50 is obviously a must. Another place that uses modernist techniques is Vandaag in the East Village (although they recently lost their head chef).

For other categories, there are endless debates on these subjects and I recommend that you check out egullet or chowhound.

Happy to answer any questions.

Andrew

I could certainly agree with JG at the trump. Make sure to try out the Prix Fixe lunch at nougatine (its inside JG). Best damn lunch for 27 Bucks you can get in the city me thinks.

I really like Nobu and The Atelier by Joel Robuchon @the four seasons.

Here is a link to simple review and Pixs i took at The atelier.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.119738126490.113180.501571490&type=1

Frank said:

I could certainly agree with JG at the trump. Make sure to try out the Prix Fixe lunch at nougatine (its inside JG). Best damn lunch for 27 Bucks you can get in the city me thinks.

I really like Nobu and The Atelier by Joel Robuchon @the four seasons.

Here is a link to simple review and Pixs i took at The atelier.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.119738126490.113180.501571490&type=1

Thanks for the pics, Frank! Now I'm drooling all over my keyboard!

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

Chef Shaun Hergatt at restaurant SHO-Shaun Hergatt is an out of the way modernist mecca. Just a block from the NY Stock Exchange in the Setia Hotel, it will fulfill your quest without emptying your wallet. They have an outstanding Restaurant Week lunch for $24.07 that is still avaailable. The $75 dinner is a bargain and the main menu will thrill you. Four of us feasted on the dinner tasting menu and spent about $800 including a very nice wine and tip. You don't need to pay uptown prices in this great place. Ask Chef Hergatt for a tour of his kitchen and let him know you are interested in seeing the procedures he has in place for handling the food from the moment it enters his space. Talk about discipline!

My absolute favorite restaurant in NY is Eleven Madison Park. This is the crown jewel of Danny Meyers (IMHO) and never fails to exceed my expectations. Call ahead for a reservation. Lunch and dinner pix fixed menus are offered. The staff is great and another place to get a kitchen tour. Ask Kurt for a tour and you will be surprised at what you get. Ranked 24th in the top 50 restaurants in the world, it is not to be missed.

A neat thing about their menu is that there is no menu. You are given a list of potential ingredients and you pick according to the number of courses you have ordered. After a few questions about preferences the kitchen is going to do their thing. You will be surprised!sf-smile.gif

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

All these recs look amazing so far.

Budget isn't really an issue as my lovely girlfriend is footing the bill (So long as I don't try to go to Per Se. We've been down that road already...) WD-50 has been my go to choice pretty much every time I've been to the city in the last few years. Amazing food, but I'd like to try something new this time.

Keep the suggestions coming. Now I'm even more indecisive...

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you not going to Per Se? JG is not necessarily cheaper, and I am sorry to disagree with others, it is terrible -- I was just there last week. In New York City, I would say Per Se or Le Bernardin. Marea is pretty good. Joel Robuchon is fine. Daniel is fine. Just neither is very exciting. Per Se can be exciting. Nobody I know (and whose opinion I trust) has ever had a killer meal at EMP. The average quality of food in New York City is outstanding, but there is nothing very exciting at the very top. It is kind of sad. Happy birthday!