• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Grapefruit-Cured Salmon (3•180 and 6•107)

Judy Wilson

I tried making this the other day. I don't have a vacuum sealer, so I just used a ziplock bag. While I tried to get most of the air out of it, the bag shifted in the refrigerator, and all of the liquid that was sucked out of the fish fell into the opposite corner of where the fish was. As the corner with the liquid was actually hanging down, I was afraid that some of the cure had dripped down, and therefore, there was not enough cure on my salmon any more. As Maxime Bilet said on eGullet, you don't cook the salmon or anything after it's cured, and since it looks completely raw, I sort of freaked out and tossed it. This was my first time curing fish, so maybe it could have been fine, but better safe than sorry.

By the way, people will give you really weird looks if you accidentally tell them that you are planning on making "salmon-cured grapefruit." Even if they are chefs who worked on MC, though perhaps this was because when discussing what to do with leftover cheese water I had jokingly suggested ice cubes...yeah, I don't WHAT they must think of me.  ;)

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine