• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Corn Bread (5•76 and 6•256)

Judy Wilson

Thanks to a discussion on eGullet, we noticed that some of the steps are incorrect in this recipe. We also noted this on the errata page, but for the record, the correction is as follows:

steps two and three should be replaced with "Combine in blender with cooked corn, and puree until smooth." In step eight, "Bake in 130 °C / 265 °F oven to core temperature of 88 °C / 190 °F" should read "Bake in 175 °C / 350 °F oven for 10 min, and then reduce oven temperature to 130 °C / 265 °F and bake to core temperature of 88 °C / 190 °F, about 20 min."

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 2 weeks later...

Judy said:

Thanks to a discussion on eGullet, we noticed that some of the steps are incorrect in this recipe. We also noted this on the errata page, but for the record, the correction is as follows:

steps two and three should be replaced with "Combine in blender with cooked corn, and puree until smooth." In step eight, "Bake in 130 °C / 265 °F oven to core temperature of 88 °C / 190 °F" should read "Bake in 175 °C / 350 °F oven for 10 min, and then reduce oven temperature to 130 °C / 265 °F and bake to core temperature of 88 °C / 190 °F, about 20 min."

Ahah -- that explains it! The first time I made the cornbread it came out very undercooked -- even after keeping it in the oven longer. I initially blamed the size of the loaf pan vs. what was pictured in the book, which I suppose could still be a factor.

I had much better success with my second batch, which I cooked on my Big Green Egg in a different pan, and enjoyed along with MC-inspired Cola-brined pulled pork, MC baked beans, MC white coleslaw and 3 different MC BBQ sauces. All highly recommended!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i also encountered the error…nice to see there is an errata. Slightly cumbersum though to navigate through all the books ' especially since i have the German version where most, but not everything is corrected. It would be nice to have a dynamic errata to choose the version of the Book to see all the errors still in that particular version. I noticed the dough to be too shiny and still very wet so i stuck in my oven needle to take the temp and cooked until the required core temperature was reached. It was ok, but a little to soggy and not as crisp on the outside as the picture. Though it was still great to soak up the Kentucky BBQ Sauce:-)