• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Carbonated Mojito Spheres (4•188 and 6•291)

Judy Wilson

Who has tried this? I've tried it twice and both times I've ended up mojito jelly, not spheres. I even have the benefit of being able to ask coauthor Maxime Bilet for tips...only to have him finally tell me it must have been some user error.  :wacko:

I should have taken pictures, but, well, I was kind of embarrassed! :huh:  I promise that next time I try them--and there will be a next time!--I'll take pics and post them here no matter the outcome.

If you did finally get spheres, I envy you. But, I am also curious to know how you served them. As Max noted on eGullet a couple months ago, they don't actually serve them in a cocktail glass at the cooking lab. The photo of the sphere in the glass in the book is purely to demonstrate the fizziness. So, how did you give them to your guests?

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 2 weeks later...

I made the recipe twice with good results both times. But since I haven't got a very good technique I pre-froze the spheres in semi hemispheric mold and put them in a warm alginate bath after that. When I removed them from the bath they were fully liquid and the pressure of the carbonation made them fullyspherical.

The only smallaestheticproblem was that I had some air bubbles in the spheres. It made the sphere look like eyes. I'm still not sure if it's a plus or minus...

I made them, and they looked pretty good before carbonation. When I carbonated them, they got large air bubbles in them that made them look pretty odd. I tried serving them in a glass with some of the lime/sugar water plus a little extra rum, which was OK, but pretty odd. I also did have some trouble with them sticking to each other when setting in the bath, which was solved by gelling fewer of them at a time.