• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Mushroom Ketchup (5•13 and 6•217)

Judy Wilson

A lot of people want to know how long this will keep. Coauthor Maxime Bilet answered this on eGullet a while back: "We can‚’t give you an exact time as we have not tested it ourselves. We do expect though that you will experience some syneresis, or ‚“weeping,” just as you do with any condiment kept in your fridge." He also suggests using a little xanthan gum to help this. Has anyone been keeping some stored in the back of their fridge? What's the result?

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I made this last night. I was a little confused by the 'simmer ... liquid has evaporated ... 35 mins'. I simmered mine until pretty much all the liquid had evaporated which I think is incorrect as it took over an hour and then was way too thick to blend (in a blendtec). I had to add some water back in.

By liquid has evaporated do you mean all the liquid has evaporated, most of the liquid, some of the liquid? Next time I'll just stop at 35 minutes although this batch will probably last a year.