• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Boston

huiray

I've been thinking about this, and, I suspect that the challenge was a bit unfair to the contestants. (unless they were to take a lot of liberties with the recipes) The book they had to work with was designed for home cooks putting out meals for 2-4 people. -Not what was present at the judging table plus the one for the camera. Some of the book's recipes are for things like sauteed steaks (bad idea because it would be difficult to to 8+ at once) as Dougie discovered, and others are braises and such but, once again we are talking a lot of prep and a larger pot which takes longer to get to temperature -and three hours just isn't enough time, especially with it broken into parts. I know you could say this about any challenge, but, pre-nouvelle french cooking can be complex. So, kudos to those in the top, they solved a complex problem.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up with the final 4 I was pulling for all season and they didn't disappoint.  It was good to see Doug make a strong comeback.  It's tough when someone goes home for a strong dish, but episodes like this are Top Chef at its best.  Between Doug/Mei/Gregory I couldn't begin to pick a favorite, I just hope the last two episodes are as strong as this one. 

Edited by Brown Hornet (log)
  • Like 1

Doug did a great job, overall, I am pleased with the outcome.

BTW, I discovered that another show was filmed in the Boston studio...*drumroll*...Top Chef: Estrellas, Segunda Temporada!

I've been watching these online and OnDemand, pretty goofy stuff compared to the original. -Like how at the beginning of episode 1, everyone seems to know everyone else and there's lots of hugging and kissing -instead of bragging and snide remarks. But, it's fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link huiray -- nice interview.

Sorry Doug didn't make it, still seems weird that he got dinged more for the Escamole dish vs. a fancy guac but that's Top Chef for you.  Gregory and Mei were the two front runners most of the season, so I think it will be a great finale tonight. 

Overall, I think this has been a pretty enjoyable season largely because the final 6-7 chefs were all high quality competitors/chefs and rootable.  No real flukes slipped through to the finals as in some years past.  I'd rank this season well above the bottom seasons -- Texas/DC/NYC -- and just above the recent seasons in Seattle and NOLA.  I frankly enjoyed the new streamlined judging format and hope they continue that in future seasons.

• Like 2

Glad Gregory did not win.

But I note that George did his part (as one of Gregory's sous chefs) perfectly and turned out very-well executed octopus.  I will be glad to eat at George's place, and Mei's when she (eventually) sets hers up. (Doug's too, especially that "hunting lodge" he dreams about)

I'm surprised folks feel that strongly between Mei and Gregory.  I thought both were strong contenders and acquitted themselves well in the finale.  I was slightly pulling for Gregory, but wasn't surprised that Mei won based on the judge's comments.

A 4 course meal based on the best dishes tonight would be pretty awesome:  Gregory's Octopus -- Mei's Congee -- Gregory's Short Rib Mole -- and Mei's dessert.

• Like 1

So "Top Chef: Boston" held its finale in Mexico.

The Bostonians who negotiated and paid big bucks to bring Top Chef to Boston must have been just thrilled with that decision. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Every season of Top Chef has had its finale in a different location than the rest of the season and the finale is typically shot well after the regular season is filmed.  Cities that vie to host Top Chef know full well that it doesn't include the finale.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/22/2014 at 6:36 PM, huiray said:

On 8/23/2014 at 8:21 PM, IndyRob said:

Impossible.  The Teamsters would never do anything untoward.

http://www.eater.com/2015/12/30/10689958/top-chef-boston-teamsters-emails-abor-dispute 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/12/29/mails-show-effort-boston-union-and-officials-quell-labor-flap/tEmJvR9vpFS7NS3irBs2NJ/story.html 

http://boston.eater.com/2015/10/1/9431955/teamsters-indicted-alleged-top-chef-extortion 

As noted before...lots of bullies in Boston, and folks who think their way is the only way...and that may not apply just to Teamsters.

(For starters, the Lowells talked only to the Cabots and the Cabots talked only to God...and more common folks carried on that mind set to the present day)