• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Boston

huiray

Call me jaded but I think what city they're in only matters to the producers and whatever deal/money they can squeeze out of the respective city's leaders for bringing the show to that city.

Besides, once they're in that city it doesn't mean they're going to stay there. How many seasons have we heard "Pack your knives...we're off to Cuba! (or whatever island getaway deal they can finagle)"?

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Besides, once they're in that city it doesn't mean they're going to stay there. How many seasons have we heard "Pack your knives...we're off to Cuba! (or whatever island getaway deal they can finagle)"?

Um, every season. That's the basic structure of the show. I'm honestly surprised that anyone is still surprised about this.

PS: I am a guy.

I hope Emeril is a host/judge since he's from Fall River.

I hope they have to make baked beans to be judged by a bunch of home cooks famous for their beanpot suppers.

• Like 3

I wonder if they will make a foray out to, oh, say, Cape Cod...or Marblehead...and there might be (I wonder) something involving "scrod" and/or the "No Name Restaurant". :-)

ETA: It would be interesting if they went to East Cambridge as well and did a "Portuguese in Cambridge" segment.  Or had a "night out" at Ryles - and sampled their cocktails (like their "Orgasm" - which they had at the time I lived there) and took in the Jazz there, the place where many Jazz bands and musicians cut their teeth...

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

That would be interesting.  I imagine they're going to spend most of their time in the Back Bay restaurants with lots of establishing shots of the Charles River and maybe a trip to Fenway Park.

Hopefully Eric Ripert will be there so he can get prissy about how messy ballpark food is again.  That's always a good time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from that, there's this:

#314 MAY 10, 2014  Inside Top Chef with Top Model Host Padma Lakshmi

Padma_Kitchen_0157_CharlesThompson.jpg Photo Credit
Charles Thompson

It is unusual for a beautiful TV host, actress, Versace model, and author to also be thoughtful, world-traveled, and a certified intellectual. I discovered that Padma Lakshmi is all of those things in an America's Test Kitchen Radio interview. One of her most beautiful (her word) images is of being thrown through the window of her parents' car in a terrible crash in California as a teenager—floating through the air in slow motion. But she also loves her work at Top Chef and describes what she looks for in a winner; someone who has to come from behind and struggles to make it to the top. As for dinner with Confucius (she also wanted to invite Cleopatra and Muhammad Ali), I hope that she will give me a ring and an invite too!

Oops, I mean to add this part as well:

"Padma Lakshmi, host of Top Chef, is beautiful, speaks 5 languages, was married to writer Salman Rushdie, and wishes she could invite Confucius and Cleopatra over for dinner."

More about Padma from Christopher Kimball:

Padma Lakshmi, host of Top Chef, is beautiful, speaks 5 languages, was married to writer Salman Rushdie, and wishes she could invite Confucius and Cleopatra over for dinner

#314 MAY 10, 2014  Inside Top Chef with Top Model Host Padma Lakshmi

Padma_Kitchen_0157_CharlesThompson.jpg Photo Credit
Charles Thompson

It is unusual for a beautiful TV host, actress, Versace model, and author to also be thoughtful, world-traveled, and a certified intellectual. I discovered that Padma Lakshmi is all of those things in an America's Test Kitchen Radio interview. One of her most beautiful (her word) images is of being thrown through the window of her parents' car in a terrible crash in California as a teenager—floating through the air in slow motion. But she also loves her work at Top Chef and describes what she looks for in a winner; someone who has to come from behind and struggles to make it to the top. As for dinner with Confucius (she also wanted to invite Cleopatra and Muhammad Ali), I hope that she will give me a ring and an invite too!

Apparently one of the locations they will shooting at is Plimoth Plantation in Plymouth, MA.  Probably doing some sort of early settlers / Native Americans challenge.

You'd think they'd save the travel budget and just go back to New York.

I hope they have to cook for the Crewing Team at Harvard. 

They're not really saving anything since the contestants go home in between the regular season and the finale.

PS: I am a guy.

I just don't get it.

I happened to hear Gail Simmons this morning doing a radio interview to promote the upcoming "Top Chef: Boston" and she said she's a vegetarian! She says she does eat fish/seafood but not meat. 
How do you judge all of the dishes the chef-contestants make when you can't eat some of the ingredients? :blink:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

She's a vegetarian?  Huh.  V-E-R-Y good question about how she can judge all those meat dishes or meat-stock containing dishes etc etc etc, then.  Maybe she just chews it a bit and tastes it but doesn't swallow and spits out everything that has meat in it?  Would that satisfy the "requirements" for vegetarianism?

Someone should ask her about it.

Edited by huiray (log)