• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper vs Stainless Steel Clad Cookware: Is it worth the $$$?

Shel_B

I have a couple Sitram pieces that I like -- though not the catering line with copper bottoms.  The catering line would have been a consideration had I thought of it before purchasing the Falk.

A quick check did not reveal the inside bottom surface diameter nor the weight.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My Falk arrived yesterday.  Very pretty and of what looks to be a reasonable size.  Nice weight and balance.  So far I have not found a place to put it.  And I am far too tired to give a description beyond three rivets.  For which, for now, you will have to take my word.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boilsover said:

OK, I'm still trying to get my head around the 10.5"  bottom on the 5.5" coil.  Are your Kenjiburgers evenly burnt or just at the pan center?

The pan bottom is not 10.5 inches.  Maybe 7.5 on a good day.  The meat gets applied to the midpoint, or as close as I can manage it.

Tonight I used my new Falk frypan for the first time:  The Food Lab Mushroom-Marsala (p 369).  Very satisfactory.  Despite crying in the mushrooms because if I'd waited two weeks I could have saved fifty dollars.

The iron handle did not get too hot to hold.  Cleanup was easy, even if I could not throw it in the dishwasher.  I do note that I would not easily be able to handle a larger pan.  This is OK until someone comes up with bigger pigs.

• 3 years later...

Anyone have any inside information on the Falk Coppercore line that is induction compatible?  I note with sadness the copper core is only 1.9 mm thick.

• Like 1