• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daily Nihongo (2005 - )

torakris

Do post some pictures of the show or maybe a streaming video of it for those who can't watch the show on TV, like me.

The first show (2 hour special) airs tonight, this is the new homepage for the show. I have no idea how to streamline a video but I will see what my husband can do, he has his computer set up as a tv and is always downloading stuff to his ipod.

Helen,

The gyoumu store by my house sells frozen mentaiko paste in a tube like thing, but I think it is something like 500g......

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

4/22:

でんぷ

denpu

Though this can be made with most firm white fleshed fish cod seems to be the most popular. The cod boiled and flaked, it is then placed in a pan and sugar and salt are added and then it is heated until all the water evaporates and you are left with a very light fluffy (and very sweet) product. Most people are probably familiar with this in its pink form (from food coloring) where it is called sakura (cherry blossom) dempu.

桜でんぷ さくらでんぷ

You are most likely to run across it in futomaki (thick rolls) and chirashizushi (scattered rice).

Denpu (the pink stuff on the rice)

4/30:

洗い

arai

Arai is from the verb arau which means to wash, hot water is poured over the skin side and the the fish is immediately moved to an ice water bath where it is swished around (washed). This helps to remove some of the strong taste from the flesh. This is a popular way of serving bora.

bora no arai

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/okusama/back/060509/index.html

SO, your husband is a tobi?

How do you say tobi in English?

Show us your yellow notepad...

I never really thought there was an English word for tobi, but I just found this: Steeplejack

I have never heard of the word myself though....

My yellow notepad with the contents of my refrigerator?

Were you able to see the show?

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/okusama/back/060509/index.html

SO, your husband is a tobi?

How do you say tobi in English?

Show us your yellow notepad...

I never really thought there was an English word for tobi, but I just found this: Steeplejack

I have never heard of the word myself though....

My yellow notepad with the contents of my refrigerator?

Were you able to see the show?

No, I just read the description:

クリスティンさんの趣味は節約。

家の照明には所々電球がなく、ジーパンもつきはぎだらけ。

極めつけは謎の黄色のメモ帳。これを使いご近所を巻き込んで賢い節約をしている。

果たしてそのスーパー節約術とは。

極めつけは謎の黄色のメモ帳。これを使いご近所を巻き込んで賢い節約をしている。

Oh that one! :biggrin:

I use a lot of yellow notepads for various things.....

That one was our shopping list for Costco, it really isn't as exciting as they make it sound. Our next trip is 5/23, I can post the list for that trip once we make it.

Thanks for the link, Hiroyuki - I was upstairs settling a kid with a headache, and didn't get downstairs till the Mexican lady and her DH were on. Drat!

So yellow notes are the secret? You don't ever write them out and forget to take them to the store?? :biggrin: .

You mentioned your cooking was going to feature more this time...what did you actually make/buy/eat?

Edited by helenjp (log)

Here is rather a personal question for you, Kris...

Do you have a snack budget??

In that show, you seemed to be depicted as a frugal wife, but I really can't believe this, considering all of your posts here.

And, I'm not the only one who wants to ask you this question.

This blogger wonders if you really are a frugal wife.

http://lipz.oops.jp/

She is a fan of yours. :biggrin:

I don't have a snack budget, snacks go in to my monthly food budget which averages just over 40,000 yen a month. It may look like I buy a lot of snacks but it really isn't and except for the occasional box of new Pocky (which I only buy on sale) I almost never spend more than 100 yen per snack. The most I would spend a month in about 2000yen but it is probably much closer to 1000 yen.

As to what I cooked for the show....

For my BBQ party my menu consisted of:

homemade sausages

slow roasted baby back ribs

huli huli chicken

potato fritatta

zucchini fritatta

chips with 2 kinds of salsa and guacamole

shrimp ceviche

salmon gravlax

yaki-imo

grilled eryngii and soramame

yaki onigiri

I cooked three dinners that they filmed and they chose the one I hadn't known they were even going to film. I was quite embarrassed that they showed that one because it was one of my really simple 'dinner in 15 minutes' meals. :huh: It was a really busy day and I threw together an umeboshi potato salad earlier in the day, then when we came home from soccer practice at 6:30 I tossed some chicken in a frypan with a teriyaki sauce, sliced up an avocado, shredded some baby spinach then tossed it all into a donburi bowl. I also did a quick celery kinpira that took all of 3 minutes.

This dish has gotten unbelievable comments from my Japanese friends. Close to 20 people have told me how delicious that looked and to please share the recipe.

hi torakris and Daily Nihongo crew--

i haven't posted in a while on the Japan board, but that doesn't mean i haven't been reading it... :smile:

question: you know those tempura crumbs they put in some maki? what are they called, and is this an "authentic" Japanese ingredient, or a more western maki mutation, like cream cheese? :raz:

in most places, are they actually tempura crumbs, because i've also seen panko, and even rice crispies (!) as the low-fat version in some places.

thanks for any info,

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

question: you know those tempura crumbs they put in some maki? what are they called, and is this an "authentic" Japanese ingredient, or a more western maki mutation, like cream cheese?  :raz:

Those little bits are referred to as tenkasu or agedama. I can't recall ever seeing them used in any roll I have eaten in Japan though. The do use tempura'd foods in rolls here.

• 4 weeks later...

6/12:

Way back at the end of April we were discussing bora (striped mullet).....

ボラのへそ

bora no heso

Heso means belly button but in the case of bora this refers to the stomach. It is often served on skewers, lightly salted and grilled. Though I have never seen it before a couple sites described it as looking like abacus beads and sure enough after some searching I was able to find a picture (scroll down to 2006/3/9)

6/18:

さんま煮

sanma ni

simmered sanma

When sanma is simmered in a pressure cooker or for a long time over low heat the bones become tender enough eat. This is a wonderful way to prepare sanma that is out of season...

sanma ni