• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Un-named experimental/mystery Doritos

Jason Perlow

I have not tried these yet, but I'm most interested in the Mole/Chocolate flavor. Anyone else try these?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/24/mystery-doritos_n_5207858.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I tried them, they were all too weird for me to eat more than a few. I got them in Phoenix at Fry's supermarket.

The blue bag was too spicy for me, the spice hits you pretty late and then takes over. It did have a distinct smokiness which I liked, I was guessing that it was some sort of chipotle flavor. If it were just not so spicy, I think I'd like this one.

The orange bag is kind of odd in that it's sweet and spicy, which normally would not be bad for me, but, it's just coming out as 'wrong' in my head. (I loved Poore Brother's 'Calypso' flavor potato chips.)

The red bag definitely has a strong 'Doritos' cheese taste, but is also spicy. It's not bad, it's just not really exciting.

finally remembered to look for these at my local Megamart

they had two flavors.  4.69 for them.  didnt look like really big bags

Yikes !

\

why not sample them a chip at a time ?

I tried all three. The orange bag was my favorite, loved the taste of lime with sweet heat. Red bag was ok, just tasted, as the article says, Dorito-y. The Blue bag in no way tasted chocolatey to me or the others I shared with. Good marketing for curious people like me!

• Like 1

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

• 3 weeks later...

I found 'em yesterday!  Did a taste test without reading the ingredients on the bags.

Here's what I liked in order of preference:

1.  Flavor 404.  Yellow colored bag.  Spicy with hints of lime or lemon or both.

2.  Flavor 2653.  Blue colored bag.  Spicy with a mole type flavor.  Definitely could taste a bit of chocolate.

3.  Flavor 855.  Red colored bag.  Tasted almost like regular Doritos to me.  Maybe a bit spicier.

My husband liked 2653, 855 and then 404.  

I found 'em yesterday!  Did a taste test without reading the ingredients on the bags.

Here's what I liked in order of preference:

1.  Flavor 404.  Yellow colored bag.  Spicy with hints of lime or lemon or both.

2.  Flavor 2653.  Blue colored bag.  Spicy with a mole type flavor.  Definitely could taste a bit of chocolate.

3.  Flavor 855.  Red colored bag.  Tasted almost like regular Doritos to me.  Maybe a bit spicier.

My husband liked 2653, 855 and then 404.  

Funny but I couldn't stand the Yellow/Orange bag. It was just sweet and blah to me. I'd place it lower than third if I could. :wink:  :laugh:

You're completely correct about the mole in the Blue bag. They have a slight kick to them, too (chipotle in the ingredients list).

I loved the Red bag and you're right...they did taste like regular Doritos but with a kick. They reminded me a lot of a souped-up version of their Nacho Dorito chips with just more of everything....more cheese, more spice, more flavor. 

I'd rate them:

1) Red bag

2) Blue bag (almost a tie with the Red bag)

99) :laugh:  Yellow/Orange bag 

edited to add:

1) I was surprised that the Red & Blue flavors were spicy. You'd think they'd tone down new flavors just to get people to try them.

2) Floved the fact that the chips were their "Jacked" line...bigger, crunchier corn chips. It helped make the taste test a better experience for me.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Funny but I couldn't stand the Yellow/Orange bag. It was just sweet and blah to me. I'd place it lower than third if I could. :wink:  :laugh:

You're completely correct about the mole in the Blue bag. They have a slight kick to them, too (chipotle in the ingredients list).

I loved the Red bag and you're right...they did taste like regular Doritos but with a kick. They reminded me a lot of a souped-up version of their Nacho Dorito chips with just more of everything....more cheese, more spice, more flavor. 

I'd rate them:

1) Red bag

2) Blue bag (almost a tie with the Red bag)

99) :laugh:  Yellow/Orange bag 

edited to add:

1) I was surprised that the Red & Blue flavors were spicy. You'd think they'd tone down new flavors just to get people to try them.

2) Floved the fact that the chips were their "Jacked" line...bigger, crunchier corn chips. It helped make the taste test a better experience for me.

Oh!  I didn't know "Jacked" was a line!  I commented right away after opening the bags that I loved the big chips--they were in good shape, too, no broken ones etc.

My husband detested the yellow bag too.  You are not alone lol.