• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Baking: From My Home to Yours" (Part 2)

FoodMan

I just made the dough for the World Peace Cookies and it is in the fridge now, resting.  I have read all the great reviews on this thread and have wanted to try them.

If they crumble when you slice them, do as Dorie suggests and "mush" them back together into a cookie shape.

Make sure they're cold when you slice them and bake them off and when you do slice them, don't slice them too thin. Follow the recipe suggestion (1/2"?) to get best results. I sliced them too thin the first time I made them and ended up with a too-thin cookie.

They're a great cookie. Enjoy!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Dorie, let me add my thanks for this wonderful book. I made the Buttermilk Biscuits for my (very) Southern boyfriend this morning...he pronounced them "better'n mama's"!!! :laugh:

I can't thank you enough for sharing such fabulous, foolproof recipes.

Melissa H -- single malt for the vanilla cake -- a luxury and a delicious sub. Bet it was great!

Yunnameier -- I hope your book has arrived by now and that you'll enjoy baking from it over and over again.

Thanks Toliver and Prasantrin for helping out LizD518 -- I couldn't jump in in time. Liz -- I hope you liked the cookies.

Alisuchi -- there's no better -- or rarer -- compliment than "better 'n mama's" -- thanks so much for passing this along.

Melissa H -- single malt for the vanilla cake -- a luxury and a delicious sub.  Bet it was great!

Oh yeah, it was well worth it. But I somehow don't think I'll ever try it with the precious Oban Double Matured that we brought back from Oban last summer. Balvenie works just fine, and it's a lot easier to get my hands on here.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I made Lemon Sables for the second time on the weekend. Absolutely beautiful! So buttery, so tender, so good.

Everyone should have at least a log or two of both the Lemon Sables and World Peace Cookies in their freezer at all times. You never know when the craving will hit! :biggrin:

The black and white banana loaf has become one of my go-to recipes. I've totally lost track of how many times I've made it. I shared some with a friend of mine a couple months ago, and she LOVED it, absolutely raved about it. So now I want to give her a thank you gift for some help she gave me, and I'm going to make a loaf for her. And probably one for myself too.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I finally got around to making a tart using PH's Lemon Cream recipe. Why did I wait so long?? It is the most delectably luscious creamy concoction: a wonderful blend of tartness and sweetness with the most pleasant texture. Wow! :biggrin:

gallery_8338_183_10497.jpg

The Daring Bakers made Dorie's Perfect Party Cake this month. It's a group of bloggers who agree to make the same recipe and post on their blogs. They do one a month. I just came across them, but since several people posted about this cake, I thought I'd mention it here.

Daring Bakers

I belong to both Daring Bakers and Tuesdays with Dorie, which Dorie actually keeps an eye on. It amazes me how so many people can make the same recipe with such different results!

But, I have a question for those of you who have made the PH Lemon Cream Tart. (I need to do a butter run before I tackle it....) Some of the TWD members have already worked on the lemon filling, but find that A) they can't get it to reach the 180 degrees specified in the recipe; and B) it takes a heck of a lot longer than 10 minutes to heat it even to 140 to 160 degrees.

Did anyone else have that issue? Should they be doing something differently? Just thought I'd ask a larger group. Thanks for the feedback.

I just got this book myself.. I had borrowed it from the library and took it back before purchasing it. I made the basic biscuits and my husband proceeded to tell my 5 year old son "if you find a woman who can't make coffee or biscuits like these, find another one" I was pretty pleased..

I made them square to reduce scraps.

haven't figured out how to post pictures yet

ok I figured out how to do it!

gallery_59172_2_83442.jpg

Edited by lilthorner (log)

I belong to both Daring Bakers and Tuesdays with Dorie, which Dorie actually keeps an eye on.  It amazes me how so many people can make the same recipe with such different results!

But, I have a question for those of you who have made the PH Lemon Cream Tart.  (I need to do a butter run before I tackle it....)  Some of the TWD members have already worked on the lemon filling, but find that A) they can't get it to reach the 180 degrees specified in the recipe; and B) it takes a heck of a lot longer than 10 minutes to heat it even to 140 to 160 degrees.

Did anyone else have that issue?  Should they be doing something differently?  Just thought I'd ask a larger group.  Thanks for the feedback.

I had this problem when using a Pyrex bowl. You must use metal and you'll have no problem at all.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Hi everyone.

There's 38 pages and I might die if I were to go through all of them, So do tell me If what I'm about to say has already been mentioned.

I made the perfection pound cake twice, and I find it okay, though it takes a little water to wash down your throat. Someone else who tried it said it was really dry. I don't understand why! With the amt. of butter in the cake, it should'nt be dry...right?

Anyway, I went blog hopping and noticed that about 3 or 4 other bloggers also encountered the same problem. Help!

I belong to both Daring Bakers and Tuesdays with Dorie, which Dorie actually keeps an eye on.  It amazes me how so many people can make the same recipe with such different results!

But, I have a question for those of you who have made the PH Lemon Cream Tart.  (I need to do a butter run before I tackle it....)  Some of the TWD members have already worked on the lemon filling, but find that A) they can't get it to reach the 180 degrees specified in the recipe; and B) it takes a heck of a lot longer than 10 minutes to heat it even to 140 to 160 degrees.

Did anyone else have that issue?  Should they be doing something differently?  Just thought I'd ask a larger group.  Thanks for the feedback.

I had this problem when using a Pyrex bowl. You must use metal and you'll have no problem at all.

I would agree with CanadianBakin' that a metal bowl over simmering water would be better. I did whisk for longer than 10 minutes (can't recall how long, but not long enough to get a sore arm!), and the temperature got close enough to 180 degrees.

The cream is definitely worth the effort as it is one of the most delectable things that I have ever tasted.

I made the Peanut Butter Crisscrosses again this weekend. The first time I made them, I couldn't roll them because of my broken wrist so they became drop cookies. I also didn't have any peanuts, so I used chocolate chips instead. This time I had the peanuts, but the chocolate chips were so tasty with the peanut butter, I used both this time. Rolled them in sugar, pressed them down with a fork, and as much as I loved them last time, this time they were even better. It makes a lot of cookies so I'll be sharing with my coworkers. I'm sure they won't mind a bit. :wink:

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

gallery_5404_3609_473385.jpg

I made these lovely individual brioche breads recently. They are so good, delicious and addictive any time of day. I still have half of the recipe's dough in the freezer, I'm thinking of making those raisin-pastry cream snails with it soon.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I made these lovely individual brioche breads recently. They are so good, delicious and addictive any time of day. I still have half of the recipe's dough in the freezer, I'm thinking of making those raisin-pastry cream snails with it soon.

I would highly recommend the snails. A group of us made these several weeks ago, playing with currants, dried cranberries, and other dried fruits. They were fabulous.

They are beautiful!!!!!!

Donna

I am making the whopper cookies (my son's pick) and realize that there is no temp in the recipe!

I am going to try them at 375.

Dorie, if you are around, what is the correct temp?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Annanstee -- sorry about the missing temp for the Whoppers. It should be 350 degrees F (although I have heard from some bakers who, like you, thought it should be 375, a very cookie-ish temperature, and they said their cookies were fine).

Food Man - your brioche look gorgeous, extra-gorgeous in their their baking papers.

Yunnermeir -- I'm not surprised that you think of the peanut-butter cookies as so American -- it's exactly what my French friends say when I make them for them!