• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Baking: From My Home to Yours" (Part 2)

FoodMan

I did the brown sugar bundt cake with hazelnuts and double pear (fresh pear and dried pear instead of prunes) for a brunch yesterday.

Absolutely delicious cake, I loved the hint of hazelnut, although I heard someone who took a piece (this was pot luck) say, "Needs more hazelnut and less pear."

The pear made the cake a bit damp and heavy, especially at the bottom, but I couldn't stop eating it.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I'm so glad you've all had such a successful baking weekend -- happy enough to use a clickable smilies (if this isn't a first for me, then it's only a second):

:biggrin:

I just pulled some rugelach out of the oven (next I'll learn how to post pictures). My mom came in from Florida and has to fly back this afternoon, so I'm going to put them in her snack pack.

I made the Chocolate Oatmeal Drops tonight. These are going to be a big hit at my regional coordination meeting tomorrow. Part cookie, part brownie these are rich, fudgy with a nice crust on the outside but chewy inside. These call out for a tall glass of milk.

Edited by laniloa (log)

Baking From My Home To Yours, is featured in the April 2007 Gourmet. It is listed as one of the new cookbooks, which is destined to become a classic. They say "The book is a welcome compendium, especially after a slew of less than practical recent books that focus on just one sweet (decorated cookies, for example, or pies)."

Of course, we all knew it was destined to become a classic....

Edited by Becca Porter (log)

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I still read this forum but haven't had much time to bake or post lately. I just had to add my name to the chorus. This book is indeed destined to become a classic. (And has there ever been a nicer author?)

I have other baking books but this one has become my friend.

By the way, I gave our daughter, who is our family's master baker, a copy & she too, is smitten. (A happy thing for us, since she shares!)

pat w

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

Congratulations Dorie! You've definitely earned the accolades. I haven't even bothered putting this book away on the shelf since I bought it last year – why bother when I know I'm just going to pull it back out to use it again within a week. No matter what I'm in the mood for, there's a recipe in this book I can try. And I haven't hit a dud yet. Definitely destined to be a classic.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Hey, Dorie,

In the Normandy Apple tart recipe, how much applesauce do you estimate I would need if I didn't make my own from scratch? I have a good quality unsweetened jarred applesauce, but I'm not sure I have enough left for this tart.

Thanks,

Marmish

Emmalish -- thank you! What a great thing to say about the book!

Marmish -- I'm not anywhere where I can measure now, but essentially you just need enough applesauce to fill the tart to a little below the rim. Put a piece of plastic wrap in your pan, spoon in your leftover applesauce and see what you've got. I hope it's enough, so that you can make the tart -- I hope you'll it.

What? No Lemon Bar recipe? Darn!

Here's what I'm thinking: My 'go to' Lemon Bars come from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie book. The crust is blind baked, the lemon curd is poured on, then the pan is baked 10 mins at 350. Now, is there some way to use Dorie's Lemon Cream instead? Would 10 mins in a hot oven completely destroy the delicate texture? My inclination is to not tempt fate, but my heart craves the silky Lemon Cream. All advice appreciated!

Colleen

Marmish -- I'm not anywhere where I can measure now, but essentially you just need enough applesauce to fill the tart to a little below the rim.  Put a piece of plastic wrap in your pan, spoon in your leftover applesauce and see what you've got.  I hope it's enough, so that you can make the tart -- I hope you'll it.

Thanks. I don't think I'll have enough, so I'll have to wait until I make a trip to the store. It's definitely next on the list.

I made a marbled pound cake for a dinner I gave to one of our secretaries who is sick. I of course presliced it for them. So it would be less work. And I could eat those "ugly" end pieces. And a few more. Had to test it, right? :raz: They enjoyed it very much, as did we.

What?  No Lemon Bar recipe?  Darn!

Here's what I'm thinking:  My 'go to' Lemon Bars come from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie book.  The crust is blind baked, the lemon curd is poured on, then the pan is baked 10 mins at 350.  Now, is there some way to use Dorie's Lemon Cream instead?  Would 10 mins in a hot oven completely destroy the delicate texture?  My inclination is to not tempt fate, but my heart craves the silky Lemon Cream.  All advice appreciated!

Colleen

can't you just blind bake individual tarts and allow them to cool then fill them with Dorie's lemon cream without baking? you'd have smooth cool creamy lemon tarts...then top with meringue or whipped cream!

I tried a few recipes yesterday: Chocolate Cinnamon Squares, Rum Soaked Vanilla Cakes, and the Cream Puff Ring.

by1.jpg

On the cream puff ring: I had the same trouble I've had with some cream puff recipes. Even though I baked it until well firmed and browned, it collapsed shortly after I took it out of the oven. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Some recipes have you let choux dough cool in a turned off oven. Is there a problem with the amount of egg i'm adding?

The rum/vanilla cakes are utterly fantastic. One of the best recipes i've made from the book thus far, I think.

I alway stick the puffs along the side with a sharp pointed knife to let some of the steam out during the last 10 minutes or so of baking. I just checked the recipe in the book and everything appears right.

Perhaps your oven is like mine, Even though it tests accurate I almost always have to bake things a bit longer than recipes suggest.

(Reminding self not to read recipes like this before breakfast.)

I've been wanting to make a chocolate bundt cake. Does the mini-bundt cake convert easily to a regular bundt cake? (i.e., can I just use the same bundt cake pan I've been using for all of the other wonderful bundt cake recipes, for about the same time I've been baking those?)

Also, I made the banana bundt cake last week. WOW! I tried it shortly after it came out of the oven (against the advice of the recipe, I believe), and it was so-so. Then I tried it for an unhealthy breakfast the next day and it was out of this world good. This book has been so wonderful for me as a relatively new baker--no misses!

I made the Brown Sugar Bundt cake again this weekend with much better results. When I made it before a long time ago, I followed the instruction not to grease my silicon baking pan and it was a sticking disaster. It tasted good but was horrible looking. This time I greased and floured the pan. I also followed someone's advice upthread and used half the quantity of pears for a lighter cake. I love prunes and along with pears and hazelnuts this beauty is a winner. I've been eating it for breakfast with a sharp cheese too...

gallery_5404_3609_36796.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

When I made the Perfection Poundcake, the center ended up falling. This seemed to happen after I used a knife to check the middle for doneness like the recipe states. Could this have done it? I will taste the cake later today at a party but I am hopeful it will taste great. Any ideas why it sunk? Just hoping to avoid a sunken center next time around. Thanks! --Aria

Aria in Oregon

Thanks, Dorie. So when I cut the cake it looked just like a big air bubble happened to be sitting in the upper middle of the cake just under the top and when I inserted the knife to check for doneness it popped the bubble. The cake seemed perfectly done and everyone raved about it.

--Aria

Aria in Oregon