• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Baking: From My Home to Yours" (Part 3)

emmalish

[Moderator note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: “Baking: From My Home to Yours” (Part 2)]

Hee, I'm such an idiot sometimes. I made the chocolate muffins this morning, but when I mixed the wet ingredients in with the dry, it seemed really dry. It seemed more like cookie dough than muffin batter – and I've made this recipe several times before and it always turned out perfectly. I mentally went through all the ingredients again and was sure I hadn't mis-measured something... but just as I got them in the oven and started washing up, I realized that instead of the 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, it was my 1/2 cup measuring cup that was all cocoa-y. Whoops. They're almost black they're so dark. Reeeeeallly pronounced cocoa flavour too. Heh.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I made the cran apple crisp but used pineapple instead (had a few ripe pineapples sitting around). So I guess I made a pineapple crisp - dosen't sound very good but it tasted wonderful :). I really like that Dorie gives you alternate ideas/substitutions for some recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the Classic Brownies last night. I've made the Katherine Hepburn ones before, and they were good. The Classics? Oh my god. SO chocolatey. I made them with the full 1/2 tsp of salt and in the end I could taste a hint of saltiness, which I thought was perfect. I like the bit of espresso flavour that comes through, but I think I'll try another batch without that just to compare. Will definitely make these again. I used Valrhona for both the bittersweet (Araguani) and the unsweetened chocolate. Didn't have walnuts, so I used hazelnuts.

I also didn't have an 8" pan, so I had to use a 9" and they ended up a bit flat. I'll probably go buy one for this recipe.

wanna come with?

Made the Lots of Ways Banana Cake yesterday, "my way" being sour cream instead of coconut milk, raisins instead of coconut, a few walnuts, and the rum glaze with coconut rum. YUM. Coconut rum glaze on banana cake is heaven.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

In a fit of ambition I volunteered to make dessert for Thanksgiving (Canadian) dinner this past weekend at the inlaws. My MIL is quite the accomplished baker. I'm a culinary student but this made me more nervous than any culinary exam I've taken!

I made the French Pear Tart, with the poached pears and the regular tart crust. The almond cream is divine. Verdict was unanimously positive and I believe I'm on the hook for desserts from now on...

**Melanie**

I made the pumpkin muffins using only walnuts to mix in, omitting the raisins and the sunflower seeds.  They domed beautifully and were very tender and yummy.

Mmmm, walnuts would be good – I'll have to try that. I make these with craisins instead of raisins, and sprinkle both sunflower AND pumpkin seeds on top. Delicious.

wanna come with?

I made the applesauce spice bars again.  They're sooooooo good!  I shared about 1/3 of them with co-workers, but have hoarded the rest for myself.  I might bring a few more to share with students, though.  I've gained too much weight lately!

I didn't realize how much I was craving these until you reminded me. Zero baking has gotten done around here this summer, but now that the leaves are falling and there is a nip in the air, it's definitely time to start hanging out with Dorie again. Now I know just where I'll start!

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

• 2 weeks later...

My first failure. Well, not failure, but perhaps misaligned expectations. Made the Russian Grandmother's Apple Pie Cake this weekend, and was expecting an apple pie filling center surrounded by tender puffy pastry. Got the pie filling right, and it is delicious (I added a little Calvados to the raisins for fun), but the pastry part was a real disappointment. It was very dense and the surface was pretty tough, even though I baked it only 45 minutes instead of the recommended 50-60. Perhaps too much flour (the recipe calls for an additional 1/4 cup of flour to be added "if needed")? Perhaps with a pastry flour for more tenderness?

Hmph.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I'm very late to this party - I just got a copy of the book three days ago. I've already made the bittersweet brownies with my addition of nuts, and the Lenox almond biscotti with pistachios because that's what I had on hand. Both turned out beautifully and are being packaged up this morning to send to a friend who just had both knees replaced. I can't even imagine how he is feeling, but chocolate certainly can't hurt.

It was really difficult to choose what to make, and I'm eyeing the mocha swirl bundt cake for later this week. I'm almost always asked to bring desserts to events, and I see myself turning to this book throughout the holidays!

It was really difficult to choose what to make, and I'm eyeing the mocha swirl bundt cake for later this week.  I'm almost always asked to bring desserts to events, and I see myself turning to this book throughout the holidays!

If you are bringing anything to a brunch, you might consider the Holiday All in One Bundt Cake. I found myself making it several times over the holidays last year. Even though it was most likely designed to be a dessert, we think of it as a lovely winter coffee cake. With a cup of hot coffee, it's a perfect way to start a snowy morning.

pat

-- Ogden Nash

It was really difficult to choose what to make, and I'm eyeing the mocha swirl bundt cake for later this week.  I'm almost always asked to bring desserts to events, and I see myself turning to this book throughout the holidays!

I've made the mocha walnut bundt a few times – I really like it. I've also made the sour cream swirl bundt several times – 2 of those was my contribution to a Christmas party at a friend's house and it was very popular. There were very few leftovers, but they had them with coffee the next morning and promptly asked me for the recipe.

wanna come with?

Good ideas and it's nice to hear that everything comes out so well. That seems to be the underlying theme of the thread. :smile: I have five different bundt pans and I try to use them all during the holidays. Now I have more recipes to try!

Has anyone made the Double Apple Bundt Cake, yet?

I've only got homemade (not by me) apple butter, not store-bought, which I think the recipe calls for (I've only got a recipe off the internet, because my book is back in Canada). It's pretty thick, and I'd like to use it, instead. Am I asking for problems?

I don't know how many of you follow Dorie's blog, but she's in SE Asia now with her son, so I'm hoping one of you will give advice in her stead! :smile:

Has anyone made the Double Apple Bundt Cake, yet?

I've only got homemade (not by me) apple butter, not store-bought, which I think the recipe calls for (I've only got a recipe off the internet, because my book is back in Canada).  It's pretty thick, and I'd like to use it, instead.  Am I asking for problems? 

I don't know how many of you follow Dorie's blog, but she's in SE Asia now with her son, so I'm hoping one of you will give advice in her stead!  :smile:

I used store bought and it was very thick. It's a really good cake.

Thanks emmalish and Marmish!

I made the cake tonight using my last jar of homemade apple butter (apple butter is very hard to come by in Japan, so I got some off a friend in Minneapolis last year). It's sooooo good! I was a little worried, because the batter was very cookie-dough-like. I had to plop it in the pan. I also cut down the sugar to 1 cup, and it's still pretty sweet. I really want to make the glaze (I love glaze!), but I know that would make the cake too sweet for my co-workers. :sad:

Thanks again for the advice. This cake is a keeper! (If I can ever get apple butter again!)

I made the cake tonight using my last jar of homemade apple butter (apple butter is very hard to come by in Japan, so I got some off a friend in Minneapolis last year).  It's sooooo good!  I was a little worried, because the batter was very cookie-dough-like.  I had to plop it in the pan.  I also cut down the sugar to 1 cup, and it's still pretty sweet.  I really want to make the glaze (I love glaze!), but I know that would make the cake too sweet for my co-workers.  :sad:

Thanks again for the advice.  This cake is a keeper!  (If I can ever get apple butter again!)

I'm glad it turned out well! I made the French Pear tart for a dinner party last night. It was proclaimed "orgasm worthy" by more than one guest. There was one extra plated slice that was snuck around the corner and eaten sans fork in three bites by another guest before anyone could negotiate for halfsies.

I was a little worried, because the batter was very cookie-dough-like.  I had to plop it in the pan.  I also cut down the sugar to 1 cup, and it's still pretty sweet.  I really want to make the glaze (I love glaze!), but I know that would make the cake too sweet for my co-workers.  :sad:

I'm so glad it worked out for you! I didn't bother making the glaze either. I tend not to like overly sweet things, and this cake is great on its own. I find quite a few of the cake recipes I've tried from this book are more thick than I'd expect a cake batter to be, but they all bake up beautifully.

There was one extra plated slice that was snuck around the corner and eaten sans fork in three bites by another guest before anyone could negotiate for halfsies.

That's hilarious!

wanna come with?

I finally made the Double Apple Bundt cake last night It really does benefit from sitting overnight. It's good (I think I would have preferred it without the lemon glaze), but I have to admit that the all in one holiday bundt cake is still our favorite.

Now having given this lukewarm review, I find that it's already half gone. I noticed this because I just snuck in the kitchen to cut another teensy, little slice.

Pat

-- Ogden Nash

Am using this one heavily for my Thanksgiving baking:

- Perfect Party Cake (using my homemade blackberry-raspberry preserves and a little orange zest along with the lemon zest)

- Devil's Food White Out Cake - replacing the frosting here with the meringue buttercream from the Perfect Party Cake, as I didn't think the original frosting for this recipe would freeze well, and the PPC frosting is so billowy and fluffy. Replaced the lemon with a little cognac in the frosting.

- Perfection Pound Cake - a plain, a chocolate marbled, and a pumpkin marbled.

LOVE the hot meringue buttercream in the Perfect Party Cake. It's SOOOO easy and delicious. It may become my go-to buttercream. I did find it necessary to double the frosting recipe for each cake, in order to have a very healthy filling layers :wink: