• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Becca Porter

I've also been following this thread for many months now -- I've done the basic recipe but after reading all the wonderful variations you very talented folks have done, I think I'm ready to branch out with some banana ones -- has anyone actually made these? There seems to be some talk about theory on what to do but I don't recall seeing any 'been there-done that'.

If anyone has done banana, are any hints or gotchas that I need to be aware of? We're going camping this weekend and I'm thinking these would be yummy on top of some extra dark Mari-lu chocolate biscuits (those imported cookies with a plain cookie on the bottom and a little slab of chocolate on top). Many thanks in advance :) best, steph.

I've also been following this thread for many months now -- I've done the basic recipe but after reading all the wonderful variations you very talented folks have done, I think I'm ready to branch out with some banana ones -- has anyone actually made these?  There seems to be some talk about theory on what to do but I don't recall seeing any 'been there-done that'.

If anyone has done banana, are any hints or gotchas that I need to be aware of?  We're going camping this weekend and I'm thinking these would be yummy on top of some extra dark Mari-lu chocolate biscuits (those imported cookies with a plain cookie on the bottom and a little slab of chocolate on top).  Many thanks in advance :)  best, steph.

I have made banana marshmallows and they received great reviews. I put the banana in the blender... if I remember correctly, it was 1 banana to one of Neil's recipe, and I put it in the mixer bowl with the gelatin with a bit of lemon juice. I personally don't care for them, but banana people loved them.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I have made banana marshmallows and they received great reviews. I put the banana in the blender... if I remember correctly, it was 1 banana to one of Neil's recipe, and I put it in the mixer bowl with the gelatin with a bit of lemon juice. I personally don't care for them, but banana people loved them.

Thanks Tweety! I'm gonna give it a try today :)

I've also been following this thread for many months now -- I've done the basic recipe but after reading all the wonderful variations you very talented folks have done, I think I'm ready to branch out with some banana ones -- has anyone actually made these?  There seems to be some talk about theory on what to do but I don't recall seeing any 'been there-done that'.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I followed Night’s recipe and made both vanilla and mango versions. There're still things that I couldn't figure out...

1. Is it possible to cut the sweetness? They seemed TOO sweet. I later tried cut sugar volume by 1/2, mixture didn’t “puff up” much and becomes super rubbery. Now I’m thinking about lowering sugar volume and add same amount of corn starch directly in the syrup, or is that crazy? Rocky Mountain Marshmallows(www.marshmallowusa.com) has the right kind of sweetness for me. Ingredients shown on their package label are similar to Night’s recipe, with addition of dextrose, stabilizer and food color (Blue 1 in a white marshmallow?). Btw, what's the function of Salt in this recipe? Flavor enhancer? Stablizer?

2. After 24 hours of resting, when cut open, the marshmallows are still quite humid inside. More obvious after sealed in a Ziploc for several days, tiny “steam” on the bag. How to tell when the marshmallow is DRY enough before dusting with the corn starch? (Like with brownies, you could stick a fork and pull out to check..)

3. Using medium/low whipping speed(with whipping time increased), will that make a difference to the marshmallows? Mine are described as paste-y, not very marshmallow-y. I still need to find out what happened.

I followed Night’s recipe and made both vanilla and mango versions. There're still things that I couldn't figure out...

1. Is it possible to cut the sweetness? They seemed TOO sweet. I later tried cut sugar volume by 1/2, mixture didn’t “puff up” much and becomes super rubbery. Now I’m thinking about lowering sugar volume and add same amount of corn starch directly in the syrup, or is that crazy? Rocky Mountain Marshmallows(www.marshmallowusa.com) has the right kind of sweetness for me. Ingredients shown on their package label are similar to Night’s recipe, with addition of dextrose, stabilizer and food color (Blue 1 in a white marshmallow?). Btw, what's the function of Salt in this recipe? Flavor enhancer? Stablizer?

2. After 24 hours of resting, when cut open, the marshmallows are still quite humid inside. More obvious after sealed in a Ziploc for several days, tiny “steam” on the bag. How to tell when the marshmallow is DRY enough before dusting with the corn starch? (Like with brownies, you could stick a fork and pull out to check..)

3. Using medium/low whipping speed(with whipping time increased), will that make a difference to the marshmallows? Mine are described as paste-y, not very marshmallow-y. I still need to find out what happened.

As you can't really cut the sweetness, as marshmallows are basically sugar, you have to cut it to balance it. If you add lemon juice or citric acid, you will cut the sweetness and it'll balance out. I've used up to 3 or so tablespoons in one of Neil's recipe, I think it was for mango as well. It also depends on the mango that you are using. Some puree is not as sweet as others.

As for the steaming in the bag, I understand what you mean, I had that too and since have started to put them in tupperware, where they will have sufficient air circulation and not start to sweat. Also, don't pack them in there, leave them some room to breathe.

I think you should mix them on the highest speed to ensure you whip in the most air possible. Good luck!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Here are my Ispahan-inspired marshmallows. I'm sure they'd look a lot tastier if not for the absolutely atrocious photo :raz: - taken at the spur of the moment on my mobile phone, while I was cutting and starching them.

gallery_45882_3234_33119.jpg

White lychee base, rose-coloured- (Wilton's Rose paste turned out to be horrificly neon and I really don't know what that particular colour would be good for) -and flavoured swirls, topped with a layer of raspberry marshmallow. Having not tried one of PH's famous Ispahans myself, can't say the flavour combo really thrills me - but I didn't even think the lychee marshmallow was too great either. I used fresh pureed lychees since they're in season.

Oh, and I've TRIPLED the cocoa in Nightscotman's recipe for a really fabulous non-fat chocolate experience :biggrin: .

I am hoping to make strawberry marshmallows tomorrow. I like things sweet/tart. I will dip the tops in chocolate.

What do you think about adding some "sour salt", which is pure citric acid. How much do you think in one batch, and when would I add it?

Those of you that use lemon juice, when and how?

Thanks!

I've used citric acid with lemon and grapefruit marshmallows to great effect.

Grind a couple tablespoons of it finer (my home grade came rather course) and add in the dusting mixture.

It's really potent, so add in small increments.

flavor floozy

As you can't really cut the sweetness, as marshmallows are basically sugar, you have to cut it to balance it. If you add lemon juice or citric acid, you will cut the sweetness and it'll balance out. I've used up to 3 or so tablespoons in one of Neil's recipe, I think it was for mango as well. It also depends on the mango that you are using. Some puree is not as sweet as others.

As for the steaming in the bag, I understand what you mean, I had that too and since have started to put them in tupperware, where they will have sufficient air circulation and not start to sweat. Also, don't pack them in there, leave them some room to breathe.

I think you should mix them on the highest speed to ensure you whip in the most air possible. Good luck!

Thanks Tweety! I will try the lemon juice to see how that works.

I asked abt. lowering the sugar as I noticed there's quite a diff. on sweetness between store bought and homemade MM. I can chow down many a piece of storebought MM but with the homemade, though i love the tenderness, two is max. And that's where the thought of adding corn starch to the syrup came from.

I wonder if anyone knows how Michael Recchiuti makes his MM?

• 3 weeks later...

Today I held a marshmallow making class for kids in our store's new kitchen. It was great fun. They got a 30 second history of marshmallows, and then I whipped right into a batch of strawberry. I then set them loose in the store (we're an international grocery and gourmet food store) to find 2 flavors to add. They came back with Armenian Raspberry Syrup and also Pinon Coffee (yikes!). I was able to talk them into adding chocolate extract to the coffee (which it didn't really need) and all flavors were super. Then we attempted (unsuccessfully) to pipe our marshmallow into peeps - not very well - but lots of fun! Here are some pics:

gallery_41282_4652_14052.jpg

The scariest part - pouring the hot syrup into the gelatin with parents watching.

gallery_41282_4652_12552.jpg

Look how bad these kids are at making peeps...I'll show them how good I am!

gallery_41282_4652_12687.jpg

Oh well...maybe next time!

Any of you guys got any insight on a small comercial marshmallow machine.

Marshmallow industry is rather dull and lifeless where i am..... I'm running for the openings!!!

Would like to add a certain flavoured marshmallow to my products.

Its fine to do the mixture in a small comercial mixer, but moving it from the mixer can be a nightmare.

I'd prefer to outsource the manufacture of them, but we only have huge companies over here.

Anyone got any links/leads for me?

Edited by Boodles (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Oish.... I tried to make blackberry marshmallows... What went wrong:

1. thawed frozen whole blackberries (no strawberries fresh or frozen are to be found!)

2. Pureed them with a hand emulsifier thing

3. Strained out all the seeds through a mesh

4. added the water and gelatine

5. beat with a hand mixer (should I do this by hand?)

6. made the syrup - stirred now and then to 240F

7. Slowly poured while beating into the balckberry mixture

8. With a hand held mixer on highest speed for 12 minutes - whew

9. poured into a lasgna pyrex -rectangular shape -according to directions

10. Left overnight

11. turned onto a corn and powdered sugar spread on counter

12. bottom was sticky

13. I could not cut-too stretchy and sticky but tastes great.

I must mention that it is hot and humid here and the air cond was not on at night.

Any suggestions, tips or words of advice?

Lior

1. thawed frozen whole blackberries (no strawberries fresh or frozen are to be found!)

10. Left overnight

12. bottom was sticky

I must mention that it is hot and humid here and the air cond was not on at night.

Lior

It sounds like you did everything right, but it sounds like the marshmallow didn't fluff up quite like you want. I have tried to make them on a humid day with no AC too with similar results. Maybe it was just a fluke? Sounds like the humidity affected it.

When this happened to me, I did eat the sticky goo too cause it tasted good!

"I bought both the red dip and the white dip."

- my husband on salsa and ranch dip

When this happens to me...its swirled brownie time!  And since Lior has asked about my curry marshmallows - they that in brownies!

That is GENIUS. :shock:

I'm so hungry for brownies now...

"I bought both the red dip and the white dip."

- my husband on salsa and ranch dip

Am I missing out on something?? I already feel like a marshmallow brain by making gooey marshmallows after seeing 24 pages of amazing ones, and now it seems I understand that you put curry marshmallows swirled in your brownies?! Maybe my brained in swirled-I dreamt of marshmallows last night...

10. Left overnight

12. bottom was sticky

Lior

When I made my berry ones (marionberry, blueberry & raspberry combo) I thawed the fruit and put it in a food processor with a tablespoon of water and let it rip for a minute then strained out the seeds.

Then in my mixing bowl I put the gelatin and completely substituted the puree for the water. No mixing except a quick stir to get the gelatin coated with the liquid.

In my pan I again substituted all the water with the puree and cooked to the normal temp.

I have a Kitchenaid, so I poured the sugar mixture into my gelatin and let that go.

It could be the hand mixture isn't as efficient in beating the air into the marshmallows. I can hear my Kitchenaid change when the mix is almost right, so maybe it's just the mixer?

Mine came out tasting like a really light & fluffy berry taffy. The family loved 'em.

Try it again. Go on. You know you want to! :cool:

Edited by KrazedMom (log)

Hi all! I will surely try again! I have to!! I am using pure kosher fish gelatin powder. It comes in a box of 2 bags of 14gr each. No info is given on its strength or so forth. Its directions do say to let bloom for 25 mins and then stir while heating to 60-70 C until completely dissolved. Is this the normal box instructions! I took a photo of my "marshmallows" but I can't down -size it to show you!!!

thanks!

Lior

Edited by Lior (log)