• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Becca Porter

I didn't find any recipes when I googled this, but discovered that there is a peanut butter extract by Watkins--has anyone tried this?  Or is there another way to get the peanut flavor--I am assuming real peanut butter is too oily for marshmallows. 

I tried using peanut butter, even homemade ones but they didn't turn out. But I get decent ones using the PB flavor from LorAnn Oils. And they're quite good covered with chocolate.

Edited by JustKay (log)

I want to make some with maple syrup in place of the corn syrup next has anyone done this?

I saw mention of it but not sure if I missed it if anyone had success?

I would appreciate the feedback

also I have some rosewater and thought of rosewater marshmallows with pistachios stuck to them would be very nice!

is there something wrong tthat I woke up thinking of these today I wonder :blink:

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I, too, would like to thank Nightscotsman for the recipe. I've made it several times, in variations including the strawberry (with bittersweet chocolate lines drizzled on top) and cinnamon, and they've consistently turned out great (and have been much appreciated by co-workers!).

An upcoming experiment will be to do S'more Bites :smile: -- vanilla marshmallows cut into small pieces, and pieces of graham crackers, mixed with tempered bittersweet chocolate and formed into clusters. The only thing missing would be the gooey-ness of the toasted marshmallow and melting chocolate of the original S'more...

I didn't find any recipes when I googled this, but discovered that there is a peanut butter extract by Watkins--has anyone tried this?  Or is there another way to get the peanut flavor--I am assuming real peanut butter is too oily for marshmallows. 

I tried using peanut butter, even homemade ones but they didn't turn out. But I get decent ones using the PB flavor from LorAnn Oils. And they're quite good covered with chocolate.

Thanks, JustKay. I'll look into the LorAnn oil. I think I'll try to make Nightscotsman's recipe in chocolate or vanilla to start. I attempted the vanilla marshmallow recipe from "Baking From My Home to Yours" last weekend, but they were not as fluffy as everyone's pictured here. Dorie's recipe uses egg whites and I don't think I beat them stiff enough.

Thanks, JustKay. I'll look into the LorAnn oil. I think I'll try to make Nightscotsman's recipe in chocolate or vanilla to start. I attempted the vanilla marshmallow recipe from "Baking From My Home to Yours" last weekend, but they were not as fluffy as everyone's pictured here. Dorie's recipe uses egg whites and I don't think I beat them stiff enough.

Have you ever had a culinary creation fail so miserably that you found yourself in a heap on the floor lauging your a** off???

I too was so enthusiastic about the marshmallows on the site that I had to dive back in. I couldn't find my usual recipe so I decided to try the favorite here. I dumped the sugars and water in the pot to boil. I lovingly pureed and strained an overripe banana and poured some water and four packets of gelatine over the top of it. I gently melted some Worthers soft caramels. My sugar reached the soft ball stage and I pulled it off the burner and poured it over my banana mixture. Using my Kitchen Aid professional mixer with the whipper attachment I started to buzz it up and put air into it. EXCEPT...it didn't get airy! The result was some kind of taffy mixture. You know when you were a kid and "pulled" the marshmallows so no air was left and you had a kind of taffy? That is what I got. That stuff sticks to EVERYTHING! It climbs up the beater, it sticks to anything it comes into contact with, it has DEAD WEIGHT! I had tasty banana glue on the bowl, 4 rubber spatulas, the counter, the floor (I tried to whip the mixture off the beater at medium high...whoops) on my shirt, on my pants, on my hands....OMG! Bwahahahahahaha. Although the flavor was great, it was an incredibly unappetizing texture. I had to let it go. I dumped the bowl of it in the sink with some scalding hot water. This morning it was still there, stuck. I was afraid to put it down the drain for fear of needing to buy a new disposal! Into the trash it went.

So, experts....what went wrong????

ROFLMAO,

Genny

Regarding bananas... adding them at the normal fruit puree step can be done with no problems.

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution. Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar. Definitely recommend it.

flavor floozy

Regarding bananas... adding them at the normal fruit puree step can be done with no problems.

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution.  Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial  soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar.  Definitely recommend it.

What do you do to keep the bananas from browning? Also, am I correct in assuming the adding of the fruit puree is at the very end of the process and more of a folding in procedure?

Your brown sugar banana marshmallows almost sound like Bananas Foster....maybe add some rum to them in addition to the vanilla? Instead of jello shooters, you'd have mallow shooters! LOL

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution.  Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial  soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar.  Definitely recommend it.

What do you do to keep the bananas from browning? Also, am I correct in assuming the adding of the fruit puree is at the very end of the process and more of a folding in procedure?

Your brown sugar banana marshmallows almost sound like Bananas Foster....maybe add some rum to them in addition to the vanilla? Instead of jello shooters, you'd have mallow shooters! LOL

No- don't fold the fruit puree in. Follow the Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe we are all so enraptured with and have the fruit in the bowl with the blooming gelatin.

And don't worry about the bananas browning- they don't.

Toasting those babies is very much like a bananas foster! I put my homemade vanilla in (the bourbon based one), which helps draw out the similarities too!

flavor floozy

No- don't fold the fruit puree in. Follow the Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe we are all so enraptured with and have the fruit in the bowl with the blooming gelatin.

And don't worry about the bananas browning- they don't.

Toasting those babies is very much like a bananas foster! I put my homemade vanilla in (the bourbon based one), which helps draw out the similarities too!

But isn't that exactly what Genny did? I'm reading what she wrote again, and I'm interpreting it as "She strained the banana into mixer bowl with the gelatin and then poured the sugar syrup in with the mixer whirring away."

Unless her sugar wasn't hot enough...?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Not that I am questioning your advice (I think you are a marshmallow goddess!), but I want to understand some stuff. Why wouldn't the fruit at the beginning inhibit the marshmallow from being fluffy? Also, would adding the fruit towards the end be a problem? I am thinking of making a swirl type with layers of the fruit.  Would the fruit like that cause it to degrade? I am just trying to get some info before I attempt anything to help prevent disasters. Thank you so much for helping me!

the marshmallows are not like meringue. they are not relying on egg white albumen to expand for their fluffiness. thus, it doesn't matter that you add the fruit puree at the beginning because you are only relying on the temperature of the sugar syrup and the fact that your gelatin is properly hydrated to incorporate air into the mixture.

adding the fruit at the end is not like adding other types of swirls (this is my educated opinion). adding a nut paste swirl or dry swirl isn't quite the same as adding a banana puree swirl. i think a banana swirl would degrade as fast as a peeled banana being left out at room temperature.

the marshmallows are not like meringue.  they are not relying on egg white albumen to expand for their fluffiness.  thus, it doesn't matter that you add the fruit puree at the beginning because you are only relying on the temperature of the sugar syrup and the fact that your gelatin is properly hydrated to incorporate air into the mixture.

adding the fruit at the end is not like adding other types of swirls (this is my educated opinion).  adding a nut paste swirl or dry swirl isn't quite the same as adding a banana puree swirl.  i think a banana swirl would degrade as fast as a peeled banana being left out at room temperature.

That makes sense about the fruit. It seems like the heat from the sugar syrup probably 'cooks' the fruit enough to keep it from doing anything to destroy the marshmallow too. I haven't ventured into the fruit world yet-I am waiting for strawberries to come into season here in SoCal. I just did a batch with toasted coconut tops and bottoms and coated the sides with chocolate. They taste like an overgrown Mounds Bar YUM!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

alanamoana's advice is spot on.

I'd also recommend smaller batches than what the recipe is written as. I regularly make up the marshmallows in 1/4 sized batch: using just one packet of gelatin. This is good for if you want to flavor experiment with out ending up with pounds of weird marshmallows.

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Vanilla Mini Batch

gelatin envelope 1
water 3 Tbs
vanilla extract 3/4 tsp
sugar 3/4 c
water 3 Tbs
corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs
(those sliding plunger style measuring cups work great for the corn syrup)
salt 1/8 tsp

I find that this fits into a sandwich sized plastic storage container (holds 3.4 cups) quite well, though it does make for tall marshmallows.

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Fruit Mini Batch

gelatin envelope 1
water 2 Tbs
fruit puree 2 Tbs
vanilla extract 3/4 tsp
sugar 3/4 c
water 3 Tbs
corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs
salt 1/8 tsp

I just made a mini batch of vanilla with spiced cider soda syrup stirred in. It's the perfect size to try new flavors with!

flavor floozy

alanamoana's advice is spot on.

I'd also recommend smaller batches than what the recipe is written as.  I regularly make up the marshmallows in 1/4 sized batch: using just one packet of gelatin.  This is good for if you want to flavor experiment with out ending up with pounds of weird marshmallows.

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Vanilla Mini Batch

gelatin envelope  1

water  3 Tbs

vanilla extract  3/4 tsp

sugar  3/4 c

water  3 Tbs

corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs

salt 1/8 tsp

I find that this fits into a sandwich sized plastic storage container (holds 3.4 cups) quite well, though it does make for tall marshmallows. 

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Fruit Mini Batch

gelatin envelope  1

water  2 Tbs

fruit puree 2 Tbs

vanilla extract  3/4 tsp

sugar  3/4 c

water  3 Tbs

corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs

salt 1/8 tsp

I just made a mini batch of vanilla with spiced cider soda syrup stirred in.  It's the perfect size to try new flavors with!

That is fabulous! I love making these things and wish it was Christmas so I can make everything and pass it out. I will try this mini recipe and let you know how I do! Thanks again!

Hi all!

Ok, I apologize for my sucky picture taking skills, but wanted to post a picture of the black raspberry marshmallows dipped in Callebaut I made... They were amazing, and just as folks here have said before, people's eyes opened very wide when they saw them...

gallery_51217_4287_102020.jpg

Now I've started thinking obsessively about frangelico marshmallows... Only question is -- if I replaced the fruit puree with frangelico, which is sweet itself, do you think that would make the finished product sickly sweet? Any way around that?

Many thanks to all of you for this fabulous post that expanded my culinary horizons...

Emily

gallery_29288_2429_20080.jpg

I made these cinnamon marshmallows on the weekend. I started with Martha Stewart's vanilla recipe and added in some cinnamon oil and ground cinnamon after they were done. Nice flavour. Does anyone know how long marshmallows are good for... I mean as long as they're in a well sealed container.. and that they don't get eaten?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

gallery_29288_2429_20080.jpg

I made these cinnamon marshmallows on the weekend. I started with Martha Stewart's vanilla recipe and added in some cinnamon oil and ground cinnamon after they were done. Nice flavour. Does anyone know how long marshmallows are good for... I mean as long as they're in a well sealed container.. and that they don't get eaten?

I think I read 3 months somewhere.

Ok I am taking marshmallows on my vacation to give as gifts!!! they are easy to pack ..people go crazy for them and why the heck not!

I want to share my lastest batch of marshmallows ...because ..even though these look like just plain old marshmallows in pale colors. ..they are not the most attractive ones that is for sure.....I have to say by far these are the most tasty ones yet!!!

One of them is a tamarind spiced one ...I put tamarind pulp and a splash of Rose's lime juice...in the Nightscotsmans recipe instead of 1/2 cup strawberries, then I added in the end of the whip the following mix

1 tsp of coriander seeds toasted with 1 tsp of cumin seeds ..1 tsp of crushed dried mint 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1 tsp of good and hot red chile powder

these are so yummy! they taste like the Mexican or Asian sweet, hot, sour. salty tamarind candies only better with the taste/crunch of the seeds in there and the fact they are a marshmallow!! ...really good!!!

the rest you see are Mango lime, Soursop (very very good!!!) and passion fruit...the only thing missing from this tasting plate would be a coconut and or banana flavored one to kind of round out the flavors...

I know this sounds strange the but sweet, hot, salty, sour tamarind one with a beer was good!!!

marshmallows013.jpg

Piglet 

what did you use for flavorings for all these beautiful marshmallows?

soursop, mango lime, etc.  What brands?  Thanks

I used and loved the Goya frozen fruit pulps

http://www.goya.com/english/products/produ...prodSubCatID=34

I buy them for smoothies usually and when I saw someone had tried making mango and passion fruit I got excited and had to try it! ..these are fuit pulp only nothing else added..my store has a huge variety of pulps... I will have to work my way through them all!

I did increase the pulp to 3/4 cup and cut 1/4 cup off the water to increase the flavor ..but you dont have to .....the soursop is really wonderful ...and the passion fruit smells to die for!!!

for the lime flavor in the mango and tamarind I used Rosa's lime juice

Piglet 

I used and loved the Goya frozen fruit pulps

http://www.goya.com/english/products/produ...prodSubCatID=34

good call! I just picked up some Goya fruit pulp in the freezer section of a local market. Grabbed Cherimoya, guava, and mango. I was impressed to see that it is indeed straight pulp- no added sugars.

flavor floozy