• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Becca Porter

Guys, please, help!

May be it was already discussed here, but it is difficult for me to read so much in English (I tried to find out but with no sucsess). In this great recipe http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r240.html

4 envelopes gelatin - how much in gramms?

I was ready to do it (if to be honest I even got good a electric mixer ;)), but stooped with this quantity of gelatin...

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

Everyone wants me to do chocolate ones, which I've largely side-stepped.

I'm thinking of simmering a cocoa powder and water solution to drizzle in towards the end of the whip?

My recent experimentation with black sesame paste marshmallows gave me the idea to add the chocolate at the end of mixing to minimize disruption of the marshmallow’s volume during whipping.

Here are the results of making two variations of chocolate marshmallows.

gallery_36048_2321_180202.jpg

Pictured on the left is a basic vanilla marshmallow recipe.

The middle is the basic vanilla marshmallow recipe with the dissolved cocoa added after whipping; swirled in.

The right hand marshmallow is the chocolate variation suggested in the strawberry marshmallow recipe, which takes away 2/3 of the water used to bloom the gelatin and uses it to dissolve an equal amount of cocoa powder (by volume) which is all then added to the gelatin in the mixing bowl before the heated sugar syrup is added. Essentially, the cocoa added before the whipping.

The decrease in marshmallow volume is quite apparent when dissolved cocoa is added at the beginning of the whipping step.

The cocoa flavor of the swirled marshmallow is seems more acute though both chocolate marshmallows contain the same amount of cocoa.

And the swirl marshmallows make killer striped smores (duh!). :wub:

flavor floozy

I saw someone had asked about making peanut butter marshmallows, but didn't see any replies. Back in the fall, I ate at a restaurant in NYC and some peanut butter marshmallows with a toasted panko crust came with my check. They were amazing!

I didn't find any recipes when I googled this, but discovered that there is a peanut butter extract by Watkins--has anyone tried this? Or is there another way to get the peanut flavor--I am assuming real peanut butter is too oily for marshmallows.

The Watkins stuff looks like it is only on line. It's kind of a bummer because it costs more to ship than the price of the extract.

McAuliflower - looks so great!

Oh, I did something wrong with sroberry marshmallo :(

1. I used homemade extinguished (?) invert syrop with citric acid instead of corn cyrop (and MM is too sour and a bit bitter).

2. And it is was too... fluid may be. I beat it for 25 minutes in the stand mixer and ~ 10 minutes with the hand one.

What consistence shoud be befor you pour it on the sheet? For how long you beat it?

I'm going to order the corn syrop and do this again couse I feell it should be great!

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

McAuliflower - looks so great!

Oh, I did something wrong with sroberry marshmallo :(

1. I used homemade extinguished (?) invert syrop with  citric acid instead of corn cyrop (and MM is too sour and a bit bitter).

2. And it is was too...  fluid may be. I beat it for 25 minutes in the stand mixer and ~ 10 minutes with the hand one.

What consistence shoud be befor you pour it on the sheet? For how long you beat it?

I'm going to order the corn syrop and do this again couse I feell it should be great!

Usually I only beat it for 10 minutes in the electric mixer, and the consistency is sticky , still pourable but you need to work fast .I am sure if you sue just corn syrup or glucose it should work just fine.

Vanessa

Desiderio

Usually I only beat it for 10 minutes in the electric mixer, and the consistency is sticky , still pourable but you need to work fast .I am sure if you sue just corn syrup or glucose it should work just fine.
Thanks!

Yes, probably the problem is in the invert syrop. Anyway my family eats my MM :)

I'l try again!

• 2 weeks later...

I made a batch of strawberry marshmallows, dipped in white chocolate and decorated for Valentine's Day. I'm putting the heart-shaped ones on lollipop sticks for my daughter to give to her classmates. I'm also planning to dip some square ones in dark chocolate.

gallery_17370_4207_78886.jpg

gallery_17370_4207_2857.jpg

for the white chocolate coating...did you just melt the white chocolate or did you add anything to the coating?? I am going to make plain vanilla for my son's school and this idea is perfect!!!

I made a batch of strawberry marshmallows, dipped in white chocolate and decorated for Valentine's Day. I'm putting the heart-shaped ones on lollipop sticks for my daughter to give to her classmates. I'm also planning to dip some square ones in dark chocolate.

for the white chocolate coating...did you just melt the white chocolate or did you add anything to the coating?? I am going to make plain vanilla for my son's school and this idea is perfect!!!

I just melted the chocolate, nothing added except the sprinkles on top. For your project, you may want to consider that white chocolate might look yellowish on top of a vanilla marshmallow. When I make vanilla ones they are a very bright white.

thanks, Majra....I had considered that already and was going to play with tinting the marshmallow or the white chocolate a pink color and then go wild on the sprinkles. It's for 5 yr olds, so as long as there are sprinkles, it's all good!!

I just melted the chocolate, nothing added except the sprinkles on top.  For your project, you may want to consider that white chocolate might look yellowish on top of a vanilla marshmallow.  When I make vanilla ones they are a very bright white.

Hello there!

I am brand new to Egullet and have just read through all 20 pages of this thread and am beside myself over marshmallows!

Years ago when my kids were little I made some simple vanilla marshmallows with a very low grade success ...I was always a cook and never good at baking or confectionaries ..suddenly when my youngest got his own place I could bake! Go figure on that one! Now I come here find this recipe and I am astounded at just how much fun this is and how perfectly these marshmallows came out . I did the Nightscotsman's strawberry and vanilla...brought a HUGE plate of them to work and watched as people tasted them ...the faces were priceless!!! The expressions of surprise that someone actually could and would make marshmallows and that they would be marshmallows were hysterical! I am a nurse in a very busy clinic . Feeding my coworkers wonderful food is such a joy ..feeding them home made marshmallows was insane fun!!! One PA I work with said "who makes these I thought people just picked them off trees" he kept going back and tasting them saying "these are really marshmallows!"

Thanks so much for filling my brain with such a lovely diversion!!! you folks have fantastic ideas and the pictures are beautiful!.. the options are obviously endless!

I will curry anything so I have to try the curried marshmallows next and I was thinking of topping them with flaked coconut...not sure if I should go with fresh toasted ? what do you think with the curry flavor?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I will curry anything so I have to try the curried marshmallows next and I was thinking of topping them with flaked coconut...not sure if I should go with fresh toasted ? what do you think with the curry flavor?

FWIW, there is a type of curry that is thickened by frying the coconut until it's brown, which is kinda like toasting, no?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

FWIW, there is a type of curry that is thickened by frying the coconut until it's brown, which is kinda like toasting, no?

That makes sense... I am glad I went with my gut and toasted it!...I usually put coconut in my Caribbean style curries and thought it would be a good combo..so.. ..I made them this morning because I was obssessed! I used two tsps of betapac curry 1/2 tsp of pure coconut extract and topped them with toasted coconut flakes..they smell to die for!!! I am so excited with these!!! I also made a batch with some magnificant New Mexican Red chile and plan to dip those in dark chocolate ...

I have to say making these are are so much fun!!! ..even better than a big valium for relieving my stress level :)

Desiderio: thank you so much for the welcome!

Piglet 

I am shamelessy excited to share these with you!!!

I am just so beside myself with this!

the first one I made the most yummy New Mexican red chile marshmallow and the taste alone was to die for ... just enough heat to push through the sweet and bite you! the wonderful flavor of the (real mind you I obtain 10lbs a year from a friend in Chimayo so they have killer chile flavor!) chile was enough to carry this marshmallow alone I think ..but since it is Valentines day I had to do something special ..so I dopped them in dark chocolate and put crushed salted roasted peanuts on top voila' a Mole Marshmallow ...talk about tasty!!!! I cut one in half so you could see (and sorry my camera and photo techniques kind of suck) they are actually a pretty light almost tomatoy red and if you look close you can see chile specks

marshmallows010.jpg

marshmallows007.jpg

then we have the Coconut curry ones ...these are by far the best textured marshmallow out of all my batches so far!.. they look kind of like coconut cream pie ..and like the chile they could have stood on their own ..but the last second I opted to use up the rest of my dark chocolate and put a foot of it on them ...they are really tasty ...and for a very special friend of mine ...I hope he loves them as much as the love I put into them ...

marshmallows008.jpg

finally my first ones the wonderful Nightscotsman's recipe all three flavors ..all perfect thank you so much for my new addiction! You can not see the chocolate in the bag for some reason they must all be in the back? I used just a little less cocoa powder and some coffee instead of most of the water ..they are fluffy and very tasty

marshmallows002.jpg

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

I made my first marshmallows last night and as it was valentine's eve I chose raspberry and rose flavouring. The raspberry puree was made with some freeze-dried raspberries I have just had delivered and the rose from a very strongly scented rose syrup. This flavour combination worked very well and produced a nice soft pink colour but a very strong flavour.

I ended up with quite a sticky mixture so cutting up was a lot of fun - no hope of using my heart shaped cutter.

Anyway they went down very well at work with lots of people asking how I made them.

Thank you nightscotsman for the recipe - I shall be using it a lot.

Jill

I made my first marshmallows last night as well since I do chocolates the rest of the year and this is unexpected. I recieved this note back from a co-worker:

"Thank you for the strawberry marshmallow. It was marvelous! I have never had a marshmallow that didn't come from a colorful plastic bag in the grocery store and didn't realize what I was missing!!"

Just a little more encouragement for anyone who hasn't broken down to join the cult of the marshmallow yet...