• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ko (Part 2)

Fat Guy

14) Dessert: Sugar cone filled with sticky rice and house made ice cream (cannot remember the actual flavor)

When I had lunch at Ko in September, I had (I believe) white miso ice cream in the cone. They may have changed it since. Great report (as always).

• 1 month later...

As the New York Giants were marching towards a nail-biting victory over the New England Patriots last night in Super Bowl XLVI (GO GIANTS!), I celebrated Super Bowl Sunday the same way I have the past few years: having dinner at Momofuku Ko. As sous chef Sean Gray was quick to announce, this was officially my 50th meal at Ko (although if you add F&F and all the walk-ins, it may be closer to 60), so it was a milestone of sorts. Here is a compilation of the menu last night:

1) Amuse bouches:

Chicharonnes seasoned with todarashi and salt

Boneless chicken wing

Chawanmushi topped with broccoli puree and uni

Fried wonton filled with eggplant and almond pistou

2) Slices of Long Island fluke topped with poppyseeds and chives, and served in a Sriracha and buttermilk sauce

3) Spanish mackerel tataki topped with pickled shallots, rice pearls and yuzu

4) House-made brioche topped with roasted bone marrow, pickled pearl onions, lemon confit and micro-sorrel, served in a Comte broth

5) Smoked soft-cooked hen's egg from Knollcrest Farms, served with soubise onions, fingerling potato chips, hackleback caviar and sweet potato vinegar

6) House-made ricotta cheese cavatelli with beef tongue, watercress and fried sauerkraut

7) Oven poached trout topped with bread crumbs, rutabaga and shallots

8) Shaved torchon of Hudson Valley foie gras with lychees, pine nut brittle and riesling gelee

9) Roasted breast of Muscovy duck glazed with pomegranate molasses, served with sauteed mustard greens, turnip green puree, and pumpernickel-dusted turnip braised in honey and ginger

10) Pre-dessert: Granny Smith apple sorbet with apple bread, topped with apple chips and saffron sauce

11) Dessert: Coconut custard served with passionfruit meringue, peanut butter and chocolate cookie crumbs, banana slices, and Thai basil

Dinner began with a huckleberry negroni aperitif; I also noticed that some wine pours were shared by two courses, instead of one wine pour per course. Service remains efficient yet warm, and the chefs were friendly and accomodating (congratulations on your engagement, Mr. Gray!). There were dishes that were also served last year during Super Bowl XLV; only the fish dish, some of the amuses bouch, and the desserts were new to me. I have always loved the egg and foie gras dishes, and the duck dish is quite delectable. The trout was last night's revelation: tender and flaky, flavorful but never heavy.

As the New York Giants were marching towards a nail-biting victory over the New England Patriots last night in Super Bowl XLVI (GO GIANTS!), I celebrated Super Bowl Sunday the same way I have the past few years: having dinner at Momofuku Ko. As sous chef Sean Gray was quick to announce, this was officially my 50th meal at Ko (although if you add F&F and all the walk-ins, it may be closer to 60), so it was a milestone of sorts. Here is a compilation of the menu last night:

1) Amuse bouches:

Boneless chicken wing

Chawanmushi topped with broccoli puree and uni

Fried wonton filled with eggplant and almond pistou

2) Slices of Long Island fluke topped with poppyseeds and chives, and served in a Sriracha and buttermilk sauce

4) House-made brioche topped with roasted bone marrow, pickled pearl onions, lemon confit and micro-sorrel, served in a Comte broth

5) Smoked soft-cooked hen's egg from Knollcrest Farms, served with soubise onions, fingerling potato chips, hackleback caviar and sweet potato vinegar

6) House-made ricotta cheese cavatelli with beef tongue, watercress and fried sauerkraut

7) Oven poached trout topped with bread crumbs, rutabaga and shallots

8) Shaved torchon of Hudson Valley foie gras with lychees, pine nut brittle and riesling gelee

9) Roasted breast of Muscovy duck glazed with pomegranate molasses, served with sauteed mustard greens, turnip green puree, and pumpernickel-dusted turnip braised in honey and ginger

10) Pre-dessert: Granny Smith apple sorbet with apple bread, topped with apple chips and saffron sauce

11) Dessert: Coconut custard served with passionfruit meringue, peanut butter and chocolate cookie crumbs, banana slices, and Thai basil

Dinner began with a huckleberry negroni aperitif; I also noticed that some wine pours were shared by two courses, instead of one wine pour per course. Service remains efficient yet warm, and the chefs were friendly and accomodating (congratulations on your engagement, Mr. Gray!). There were dishes that were also served last year during Super Bowl XLV; only the fish dish, some of the amuses bouch, and the desserts were new to me. I have always loved the egg and foie gras dishes, and the duck dish is quite delectable. The trout was last night's revelation: tender and flaky, flavorful but never heavy.

Congratulations on your 50th/60th visit to Ko! I believe I have only 39 visits--quite a way to go to reach your milestone! I had dinner last night at Ko. All of the same dishes except the amuses. The amuses you had sound better than mine: chicharron (same as always); fennel bread pudding; fried shrimp head; salsify cube with (I believe) chanterelle sauce.

Agree about the trout--it was delicious (and I usually don't like trout). Chef Mitch said they're bringing back the skate dish. Glad I was able to have the trout. I loved the 2 desserts, especially the coconut custard!

Chef Mitch said he'll be leaving in April/May to join Chef Sam open up Momofuku Toronto. I'll need to schedule a trip to Toronto to visit them. Thanks for the wonderful news about Chef Sean; I'll congratulate him next time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a few months since I had dinner at Ko, and when a reservation became available last week, I decided to snap it up. A few new dishes were available this time around, and I was glad I went!

1) Amuse bouches:

Lobster on mashed potatoes smoked in beef fat, served with pickled fennel

Shigoku oyster dipped in cornmeal-wheat flour mixture, deep fried and served with dashi aioli

2) Diver scallops with avocado and jalapeno puree, cucumber ice and radish

3) Spanish mackerel tataki with apple-beet puree, topped with puffed black rice, braised red cabbage and mustard greens

4) Louisiana crawfish with brioche topped with herb butter, marjoram, romaine lettuce and orange gelee, served in a pepper and chile vegetable broth

6) House-made ricotta cheese cavatelli with braised beef tongue, mustard and fried sauerkraut

7) Pan seared halibut served with kohlrabi, radish, lemon, seared fiddleheads, pepperoncini and sauteed onions

9) Roasted breast of Muscovy duck glazed with pomegranate molasses, served with sauteed mustard greens, ramp puree, and pumpernickel-dusted turnip braised in honey and ginger

10) Pre-dessert: Goat cheese ice cream with rhubarb, pistachio and goat cheese cookie

11) Dessert: Honey sorbet with lemon-thyme foam, bee pollen and milk crisps

I loved all the dishes; I also noticed a certain subtlety to the flavors that allowed the individual items in each dish to sing without overwhelming the other dish components. Four years in, and almost sixty meals later, I can say that Momofuku Ko continues its trend of serving excellent food in a casual setting. My thanks to the kitchen staff at Ko!

And???

I haven't been since the first few months, I'm wondering if you had a great time.

I forgot to report back, haha. As I said, it was good, not mind blowing, but there were some dishes like the beef tongue, the mackerel and the foie (though that dish longed for more foie for a bit more balance) that were transcendent. Definately worth a repeat visit.

Edited by Broken English (log)

James.

It has been a few months since I had dinner at Ko, and when a reservation became available last week, I decided to snap it up. A few new dishes were available this time around, and I was glad I went!

1) Amuse bouches:

Lobster on mashed potatoes smoked in beef fat, served with pickled fennel

Shigoku oyster dipped in cornmeal-wheat flour mixture, deep fried and served with dashi aioli

2) Diver scallops with avocado and jalapeno puree, cucumber ice and radish

3) Spanish mackerel tataki with apple-beet puree, topped with puffed black rice, braised red cabbage and mustard greens

4) Louisiana crawfish with brioche topped with herb butter, marjoram, romaine lettuce and orange gelee, served in a pepper and chile vegetable broth

6) House-made ricotta cheese cavatelli with braised beef tongue, mustard and fried sauerkraut

7) Pan seared halibut served with kohlrabi, radish, lemon, seared fiddleheads, pepperoncini and sauteed onions

9) Roasted breast of Muscovy duck glazed with pomegranate molasses, served with sauteed mustard greens, ramp puree, and pumpernickel-dusted turnip braised in honey and ginger

10) Pre-dessert: Goat cheese ice cream with rhubarb, pistachio and goat cheese cookie

11) Dessert: Honey sorbet with lemon-thyme foam, bee pollen and milk crisps

I loved all the dishes; I also noticed a certain subtlety to the flavors that allowed the individual items in each dish to sing without overwhelming the other dish components. Four years in, and almost sixty meals later, I can say that Momofuku Ko continues its trend of serving excellent food in a casual setting. My thanks to the kitchen staff at Ko!

Thanks for your report about the menu. Unfortunately, other than the amuses and the crawfish, the menu is very similar to my dinner of two months ago. I was toying with trying to get a reservation in the next week or two, but I think I'll wait a while longer to hopefully see more changes to the menu.

• 3 weeks later...

I had lunch at Ko this Sunday; another wonderful meal prepared by Sean Gray and company. Following a ginger-chamomile cocktail, lunch started as followed:

1) Shigoku oyster with kombu and apple vinegar

2) Amuses bouche:

Pommes soufflé filled with burnt onion and hackleback caviar

Poppyseed biscuit with smoked pork butter

Red curry chawan mushi topped with peach bits

Fried shrimp cake with basil and fish sauce

3) Quartet of crudo:

Long Island fluke topped with grated redball radish, citrus fennel and soy glaze

Diver scallop wrapped in celery, served with roasted tomato, tomato water and fresh chickpeas

Spanish mackerel topped with pickled onions and Japanese cereal

Grilled octopus inoculated with a pistachio-miso solution, with turnips and potatoes dressed with turnip mayonnaise, pistachio, miso and lemon gelee

4) Dry aged beef carpaccio with pickled strawberries, feta, redball radish and black olive powder

5) Santa Barbara uni served in a honeydew-cucumber soup, topped with nasturtium, fried morels and chili oil

6) Puffed hen egg topped with chives and braised kombu, served in a bacon dashi

7) Bento box:

Pork belly ssam with bean sprouts and pineapple kimchi

Charred mustard greens topped with crispy shallots

Grilled rice roll

8) Housemade cavatelli with charred fava beans, mortadella, clams and lardo, and topped with fried ginger

9) Roasted lobster tail served with apple, porcini and bamboo, topped with lobster jus

10) Shaved torchon of foie gras with Riesling gelee, lychees and pinenut brittle

11) Sausage-stuffed chicken breast, served with grilled asparagus spears and hummus, topped with chicken jus

12) Frozen goat's cheese with milk crisps, nasturtium flowers and pomegranate tea gelee

13) English pea ice cream with pound cake and shiso foam

14) Dessert: Sugar cone filled with sticky rice and sweet miso ice cream, topped with puffed black rice

It may have been hot and steamy outside that Sunday afternoon, but it was warm and comfortable inside Ko. Every meal I have there is like a home-cooked meal enjoyed with family.

Edited by The Food Doc (log)

• 1 month later...

Last night's dinner was exquisite! I haven't posted a review of Ko in a while, so it's about time for an update. Creative and delicious--always a winning combination. Service was top notch. Chefs were very friendly to all of the guests. Most of the dishes have been changed since my last visit. Here's what was on last night's menu:

1) amuses: oyster with apple seaweed vinegar; chicharron with togarashi salt; chicken soup with dumpling.

2) scallops with spicy whipped buttermilk and poppyseeds.

3) Beef carpaccio with arugula, black puffed rice, strawberries, feta cheese and olive powder.

4) smoked red pepper soup with langoustine, orange gels, toastedbrioche.

5) smoked egg with hackleback caviar, onion soubise and fingerling potato chips. Side car of potato bread muffin. Brilliant dish made even better!

6) walnut agnolotti with fried sweetbreads, lobster mushroom, picked cherries, basil. I don't even like sweetbreads, and this was delicious!

7) halibut with corn tempura and corn puree.

8) shaved frozen foie gras with lychee, Riesling gelee and pinenut brittle.

9) deep fried short rib with peaches and onions. This was even a better version that in the past.

10) buttermilk ice cream with carrot cake and rye crumble.

11) honey sorbet with lemon thyme foam, bee pollen and milk crumble.

Special thanks and farewell to Richard and Jonathan; best wishes to you both!

Definitely need to return to Ko more often! After four years, Ko is still at the top of its game!

P.S. Every meal I've had at Ko has always been superb, but last night was especially superb! BTW, for the person who has posted that all of my reviews of Ko sound like "revelations", you're absolutely right. I am always amazed at how fantastic the food is at Ko, and I shake my head in amazement and sadness for those who don't/can't/won't appreciate it.

Edited by ellenost (log)

• 5 weeks later...

I went for dinner last night at Momofuku Ko. Compared to ellenost's dinner a month ago, most of the dishes remained the same, except for a few new additions. Here is a rundown of my menu, with my comments:

1) Amuses bouche:

Chicharrones dusted with togarashi salt

Heirloom tomatoes served with mascarpone cheese and topped with a basil gelee (looked like stained glass window; the basil gelee was an innovative and delicious way to introduce basil in this dish)

Chilled corn soup topped with lime zest and piment d' espelette (the corn flavor was muted, and it needed a little more heat)

2) Diver scallops from New Jersey served on a bed of sticky rice and tomatillo slices, topped with a nori-chipotle powder (nice balance of heat, acid and sweetness; the scallops remained front and center)

3) Dry aged sirloin beef carpaccio with rose-compressed strawberries, black olive powder, grated horseradish, puffed black rice, and feta cheese (the mild flavors of the carpaccio did not hold up well against the other components)

4) Langoustines cooked on the plancha, served with toasted brioche topped with herb butter (marjoram), orange gelee and steamed romaine lettuce, in a smoked pepper, squid and chile vegetable broth (robust and spicy; the sweetness of the orange rounds out the other flavors beautifully)

5) Smoked hen egg served with hackleback caviar, onion soubise, fingerling potato, sweet potato vinegar and herb salad. This was served with a house made potato bread and smoked butter (the quintessential egg dish from Ko. The potato bread was soft and had a wonderful crust, and was not overly sweet; it was handy to sop up the rich yolk of the hen egg)

6) Toasted walnut agnolotti with crispy veal sweetbreads, pickled cherries and chanterelle mushrooms, ricotta sauce and orange zest (just divine; rich and hearty, with a hint of sweetness and acid. A pasta appropriate for autumn)

7) Almond crusted skate wing served with almond milk foam, roasted cauliflower, olives and water chestnuts (the welcome return of an old Ko favorite; tender and subtly sweet skate meat paired with the nuttiness of the almond, cauliflower and water chestnuts, with the olives adding a punch of salinity)

8) Shaved Hudson Valley foie gras torchon with lychees, pinenut brittle, and Riesling gelee (60+ meals in, and I still do not tire of this dish's perfect combination of sweet, fatty and nutty)

9) 48-hour braised beef short rib, deep-fried and served with peach puree, pickled peaches, basil pea greens and rye dust (tender rib meat with a crunchy crust; the sweetness and tartness of the peaches subtly cut through the fattiness without overwhelming the rest of the dish)

10) Spicy carrot cake drenched in carrot essence, topped with slices of pickled carrots, carrot blossoms, and carrot pastry cream, and served with buttermilk ice cream and rye crumble (another seasonal dessert: light yet earthy, with just the right amount of sweetness)

11) Concorde grape sorbet served with macadamia truffles and miniature rice krispies (interesting juxtaposition of creamy and crunchy)

Wine pairing was mostly on point; the pairing of the desserts with beers was an inspired choice. The kitchen staff was particularly engaging and friendly; hats off to Josh, Troy and new chef Kerry. Momofuku Ko continues to maintain the high standards it set in March 2010, and I look forward to my next meal there.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds delicious, Food Doc. Can't wait to dine here. Has the service improved or is it still pretty hostile? Should I avoid conversing with the staff?

I've never found the service at Ko to be anything less than friendly and polite. Last month when I had my dinner at Ko I found the chefs very chatty with all of the guests (even the first timers).

• 4 months later...

I spent Super Bowl Sunday at Ko, as has been my tradition for the past few years (besides, could not stand to see the Ravens win). After an aperitif of apple puree and smoked ginger mixed with rye, club soda and a lemon twist, this is how the meal went:

1) Amuses bouche: Chicharonnes seasoned with todarashi and salt

Octopus with dry aged beef, watermelon radish and Huitlacoche (Mexican fungus)

Sambal chawanmushi topped with crispy shallots

Shigoku oyster with kombu and green apple bits

2) Red snapper served with a Sriracha and buttermilk sauce, topped with kohlrabi and poppy seeds

4) "Dairy-less" New England clam chowder with littleneck clams, shrimp, bay scallops, Andouille sausage and housemade crackers (foam was made from potato puree and clam juice)

5) Smoked soft-cooked hen's egg from Knollcrest Farms, served with soubise onions, fingerling potato chips, hackleback caviar and sweet potato vinegar. This was served with housemade potato bread and housemade smoked butter

6) Celery root agnolotti with tandoori spice and black truffle

7) Slow cooked branzino with roasted daikon and mushrooms, served with a fennel and shishito pepper broth

8) Shaved torchon of Hudson Valley foie gras with lychees, pine nut brittle and Riesling gelee

9) Millbrook Farms venison with sunchokes, kale chips, kale puree and pomegranate sauce

10) Pre-dessert: Toasted rhum meringue topped with coconut lime sorbet, banana and dessicated shortbread

11) Dessert: Calamansi sorbet with buckwheat caramel and Earl Grey tea panna cotta

• 1 year later...

Lunch 12 July 2014 (forgive the errors of recognition and memory on my part):

Amuses
Green pepper gazpacho, creme fraiche, mint
Washington state oyster (raw), hot sauce, toasted sourdough crumbs
Hard-boiled quail egg stuffed with smoked trout roe
Potato crisp (cylindrical), filled with chipotle sour cream

Raw
Scallop, grilled cucumber, almond pesto
Bronzino, hozon, shredded (dried?) radish
Spanish mackerel tataki, watermelon, black sesame oil, kimchi
Asparagus/scallion/jalapeño salad, tomato water vinaigrette

“Main” Courses
Lightly smoked trout, grilled romaine, parmesan, hozon
Potato puree, potato broth, scallion, American caviar
Grilled cuttlefish and rice cake, sishito pepper and lemon puree
Carpaccio of 60-day aged beef, dried chicken and duck, porcini milk, celery
Siphoned and poached egg, bacon dashi, shio kombu
Roasted lobster, laminated brioche, herb salad w/myoga, siphoned lobster sauce
Fresh farfalle pasta, cheddar sauce, bacon fat, peas, nettles
Slow-cooked halibut, pickled cucumber, tomato/Indian lime pickle sauce
Roast rack of heritage pork, white kimchi, caramelized red onion, chili oil gravy
Shaved foie, lychee, pinenut brittle, yuzu/Riesling gelee

Desserts
Fluffy sweet goat cheese mousse over graham crust, calamansi sorbet, shiso
“Tres leches” cake filled w/black sesame, plums, dulce de leche gelato
Strawberries, cream, green tomato sorbet, candied buckwheat, strawberry/elderflower soda
Fermented chickpea and blueberry macaroon

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That sounds amazing! Was it? Can you remember which courses you felt worked best?

Sorry, I'm not on the board very often.

The only things that I didn't love were the egg (not a main ingredient I'm fond of, and the didn't sell me on it) and, surprisingly, the foie.

Best dishes for me were the pasta, carpaccio, and pork.  Also, everything with the "hozon" (basically non-soy-based miso, as I understand) was spectacular.

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 9 months later...

Was on vacation in NYC in april and visited Momofuku Ko. Have to say it was really good.

To add something new. My girlfriend really liked it as well, and she can't eat lactose or gluten, but they gave her an incredible experience. Some of her dishes actually seemed better than mine. So if you have someone with dietary preferences, don't hesitate to go there.