• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minimalist No-Knead Bread Technique (Part 2)

guzzirider

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

FWIW and around the browning problem, I take a baking loaf out of the dutch oven at about 25 minutes, or when I think it has attained its maximum jump and also is cooked enough to stand the transfer and move it onto the bare oven rack for the rest of the bake.   It is during this time that it browns.

I think even just taking the lid off, which is how I often did it, promotes the browning we're looking for.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Back when I doing a bunch of Dutch oven bread baking, I used this...

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.fb3cf80b5346228f84956ab9dfc1bccd.JPG

The interior ended up looking like this...

IMG_0348.thumb.JPG.8539700a9d96f66a19b190274be441f6.JPG

But not sandpapery at all. I wonder if different enamels and enameling process matter.

In any event, if it's still good for bread baking and only bread baking, that would work for me.

It's Descoware and their enamel was superior to Le Creuset.  I have Descoware I bought in the late '60s, have used heavily and no chips. 

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes -- the topic Baking At Home:  Finding The Best Vessel (p3-376ff)

"Ironically, popular and fancy enameled cast iron pots were one of the worst performers in our tests.  These pots usually have white or cream-colored interiors, which inhibit browning."

Well the white or cream coloured interiors don’t last very damn long after you have baked a few of those no-knead loaves in them.

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

It's Descoware and their enamel was superior to Le Creuset.  I have Descoware I bought in the late '60s, have used heavily and no chips. 

Yes...I don't want to climb up on the step ladder again, but it was made (or finished) in Belgium.

I don't remember where this one came from, probably somewhere deep in my parent's garage.

ETA: OK - I climbed...and indeed, Descoware, from Belgium! Evidently collectible!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, teonzo said:

You know you want it.

Teo

Maybe.  But there has to be a better way to drop $295, right?

Especially when I already have 2 baking steels, and multiple enameled cast-iron pieces that probably work almost as well.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yes...I don't want to climb up on the step ladder again, but it was made (or finished) in Belgium.

I don't remember where this one came from, probably somewhere deep in my parent's garage.

ETA: OK - I climbed...and indeed, Descoware, from Belgium! Evidently collectible!

I have or had a lot of Desco.   It was cheaper than Le Creuset.  Cooked well, wore well.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

It becomes blackened beyond repair, the enamel becomes like sandpaper. I wish I could show you but someone else is using mine now to make bread because that’s all it’s useful for and it was a beautiful pan. 

Yes.  I use/used my first LeCreuset 5½ qt. Dutch Oven for no=knead with the same results.

The inside is quite darkened/blotchy and not the least as pretty as my other LC pots with the inside looking very much like that pictured above by @andiesenji.  Now it's used only for no-knead.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Sad 1

All this discussion about bread baking in CI, or ECI, reminded me of the Loafnest topic. The Kickstarter campaign was finally funded, but the cost was mighty high for those of us in Canada or the USA. Did anyone here ever spring for the Loafnest?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just finished reading the LoafNest review linked to above.

If I weren’t in the process of purging my household in anticipation of 

moving I’d be seriously tempted, however, the price is off-putting.  As mich as I love bread-making, I  would love to have one to toy with.  If it were half the price I’d be sorely tempted to buy now.

Edited by lindag (log)

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Maybe.  But there has to be a better way to drop $295, right?

Especially when I already have 2 baking steels, and multiple enameled cast-iron pieces that probably work almost as well.

I was just following the forum rules.

Teo

• Haha 2

Teo

On 3/24/2020 at 4:28 AM, weinoo said:

I knew it was. I have owned so much of the stuff since the late '60s.  I "discovered" it at a hardware store  that catered to the wealthy suburb of Woodland Hills, Hidden Hills, in the west end of the San Fernando Valley and had an extensive kitchen shop because that was before any of the large department stores had moved into the Valley.

I had gone there to purchase the largest Magnalite roaster because I had a 34 pound turkey to roast and had nothing that would fit it.

I saw the bright red-orange enamel in the newly placed display and for once, my husband was also captivated by it. After spending $500. dollars (The Maganalite roaster was $96.) we left with several pieces of the Descoware. Some I still have.  (Adjusted for inflation, $500.00 in 1968 is equal to $3,790.18 in 2020.)

I have to admit that considering the use I have gotten out of those and the $$$ for which I have sold the ones I no longer needed, they turned out to be an incredible bargain. 

I'm sure your parents found the same thing.

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A parallel story, my cousin's husband was on a low rung of the executive ladder of his company.    He invited several honchos and their wives to dinner.   He gave his wife a $$ figure to put on this dinner.    A pragmatist, she used a large chunk of her budget to buy a huge Descoware Dutch oven and made stew.    Just as Gusteau was charmed by a simple but perfect bowl of rattatouille, the bosses and wives acknowledged the charm and audacity of this simple plate, with glimpses of this (then, the 1950s) extraordinary and unknown cooking vessel.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 7

eGullet member #80.

Rather than wreck my (admittedly inexpensive, but now indispensible) enameled cast-iron pot, I'm considering dropping some money on a cast iron set that would do the job for bread baking. Amazon carries this Lodge Dutch Oven set with a lid that doubles as a skillet. What say you? Would this be a worthy bread-baking pot? Is 5 quarts too large? I don't see myself being able to haunt garage sales and thrift stores any time soon.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Rather than wreck my (admittedly inexpensive, but now indispensible) enameled cast-iron pot, I'm considering dropping some money on a cast iron set that would do the job for bread baking. Amazon carries this Lodge Dutch Oven set with a lid that doubles as a skillet. What say you? Would this be a worthy bread-baking pot? Is 5 quarts too large? I don't see myself being able to haunt garage sales and thrift stores any time soon.

At that price I don’t see how you could go wrong.  Do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I believe that is the piece that Modernist Bread recommends.  And, no, I am not getting up to check.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I’ve got two of them, they are great for the Forkish Saturday White or Wheat breads. You can bake using the main pot as the bread receptacle or flip it and use the “lid” as the bottom.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

At that price I don’t see how you could go wrong.  Do it.

Ah, bless the enablers of this world! xD

• Haha 4