• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver - The Topic (2008-)

Dining Diva

Went to Parkside for DOV last Friday and was suitably impressed.

Started with the Endive Salad with wild mushrooms-portion-size was perfect and it's tough for me to go wrong with wild mushrooms.

I had the cod which was undoubtedly the best cod dish I had ever had.  Not to be confused with the best cod I had ever had but the mix of flavours in the dish itself was sublime.  The trio of chocolate ice creams was great-the dark one was almost like eating half-frozen fudge-yummy!

I would go back in a heartbeat.

The staff were attentive without hovering and we never felt pressured to hurry up and finish our meals.  We'll definitly go back.

Thanks Parkside!

After reading your review, I booked a reservation on Tuesday evening and ordered the same meal. I loved everything. I generally look to see what effort is made in the dessert and I was very wowed by the white chocolate ice cream. My friend had the upsided-down pineapple cake and the caramel was amazingly smooth and rich. I find that if good effort is made in desserts, the rest of the meal is usually just as good.

Parkside has consistently been excellent whenever I go (Dine Out and regular meals.) The service is attentive and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is warm and, most importantly, none intimidating. I detest the snobby and pretentious environment in some high end restaurants.

If you check ot the Dine Out site, they still have spots available on weeknights, either early or late in the evening.

After the event is over, you can "dine out" at home by viewing some of the Dine Out Vancouver recipes or downloading them to your iPod:

Recipes:

Ipod recipe guide

In addition to Rare & Metro, are there any restaurants extending their dates for Dine Out this year?

No-one else?

Yet another rave review for Parkside...

I went with high-hopes and wasn't disappointed. After two horrible Dine-out experiences last year (Cin Cin and Figmint) I was really looking forward to a stellar meal. We all know what it's like to have high expectations and then be sorely disappointed. Not last night. WOW - such a great meal.

I started with a Blood Orange Negroni - delicious, as blood oranges are in season - sweet, tart and bitter - the Campari really sang through.

We both had the endive salad to start - a tangle of greens on a bed of roasted mushrooms and radicchio with a fantasticly-tangy dressing.

No one has mentioned the bread that is served with dinner - so good.....we had two orders of it - the best bread I've had in recent memory. Note to all restauranteurs: Please don't serve cold hard butter with delicately warm bread!!!

I ordered the cod, my husband had the veal scallopine. Once our dishes arrived, I immediately knew he'd enjoy my dish more - it had those bold flavors of olives and tomatoes that he loves, so half-way through we switched. I enjoyed his veal, (buttery tender) the osso buco ravioli, and my favorite, a single crispy sweetbread on a bed of mushroom duxelle.

We both had the ice cream for dessert. I swooned over the white chocolate ice cream....oh man...I don't even want to think about the calories in that....but so worth it. Somehow they work their magic to create a consistency that is infinitely more pleasing than regular ice cream...it's thicker, creamier and richer than most.

We really enjoyed the premium wine pairing - $59 with dinner. Service was seamless. What an unbelievable bargain.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Heh, heh! It was a DOV dinner that hooked us on Parkside, and it's been a regular destination ever since :smile:

I was pretty underwhelmed by our Raincity Grill dinner.

I had the tartar trio to start and enjoyed that very much (lovely clean, bright flavours). SO had the duck consomme. The duck, mushroom and thyme tortellini were savoury and delicious, but the broth was very thin and watery.

SO's main was delicious - a perfectly cooked square of salmon (medium rare with a nice seared finish) on a bed of leeks with baby parsnips on the side.

My main was so-so. It was a chicken roll of sorts - a skin-on breast wrapped into a role. Trouble is, the chicken was a bit gristly and the skin was rubbery. I'd have forgiven the gristle if the skin was crispy . The flavour was good enough and the sides were delicious (whipped Pemberton potatoes, a generous portion of mushrooms and roasted celeriac).

We both had the Fireweed honey pot au creme and enjoyed that very much.

Service was well timed but we were sat against the rail and I found their practice of serving over the rail rather odd (and a bit irritating).

• 10 months later...

Dine Out Vancouver 2009 runs from January 14th through February 1st. Participating restaurants and their menus will be posted on the Tourism Vancouver website on January 5th.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes this year. Any lurking restaurateurs with insights?

Cheers,

Anne

188 restaurants participating 

It was 182 last year, so no significant change in the number.

It'll be the same as usual. Many - too many - restaurants use DOV to pack the house at a slow time of the year. They squeeze in extra tables and serve steam-table slop they wouldn't put out any other time of year, trying to make a buck from the inevitable crowd of tightfisted lemon-water-sippers that won't be there at any other time of year.

But a few places don't compromise, and use DOV as originally intended, as an opportunity to showcase their food and service to a group of prospective new guests. As reported upthread, Parkside excels at this; my first meal there was during DOV years ago, and I've been back many times since. If I try to eat anywhere during DOV 2009, it'll be Parkside.

And a few don't do DOV at all, making it the best time of year to visit. Last year during DOV was a great time to dine at Fuel.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Slight change in the pricing might reduce the numbers of lemon sippers. But hey it's only $3.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

All too true - sadly about the DOV part and good advice about the non-DOV restaurants. My birthday falls in the DOV season and I'm always looking out for non-participating restaurants.

It'll be the same as usual. Many - too many - restaurants use DOV to pack the house at a slow time of the year. They squeeze in extra tables and serve steam-table slop they wouldn't put out any other time of year, trying to make a buck from the inevitable crowd of tightfisted lemon-water-sippers that won't be there at any other time of year.

And a few don't do DOV at all, making it the best time of year to visit. Last year during DOV was a great time to dine at Fuel.

Cheers,

Anne

Victoria's version, Dine Around, was a big success for us last year (and years previous) but we found the organization behind it painful and cumbersome and all too demanding.

This year we have elected to beat them at their own game, and run a three month long promotion instead, offering what we want (instead of what Tourism Vic wants) how we want at a price that's fair and accurately reflects what the products cost. The three menus we have created reflect what we do throughout the year, at a pace that will be better for everyone that the fast and furious approach of Dine Around.

The menu can be read here and it starts tonight. We are looking forward to see what the response is from this promotion.

-- Matt.

I love this time of year!

4 Reservations so far!

Gastropod

Parkside

Raincity Grill

La Terrazza

Are there any other places that are can't miss? I did Parkside last year, and loved it. We also did Gastropod, wasn't that impressed, but with all the rave reviews I want to try it again.

After many pleads with Tourism Vancouver - I am not participating in Dine-Out this year. Darn, I am really going to miss the rush.

Dine-Out falls at the perfect time of the year. Cooks have had a few weeks to relax after the busy Christmas season and are biting at the bit. Credit card statements are coming in for everyone - and a cash injection is welcomed.

Because my new project at MonBella Bistoria is so new, it is probably good that I am not going to have the massive flood of customers in a week - I am still trying to figure out where to store the spatulas, pans and inserts.

I am interested in feedback; I am leaning towards being the 'alternative' to Dine-Out Vancouver. A place that locals and restaurant guests can go and escape the volumes.

...with just a few scratches on paper, I think I will run menus like this:

FIRST WEEK; FRENCH – AL A CARTE $10 APPETIZER, $18 ENTRÉE. 5 COURSES; $38

CHESTNUT SOUP

CRÈME FRIACHE, DUCK CONFIT, SNIPPED CHIVES

PISSALADIÈRE

ANCHOVIES, BLACK OLIVES, THYME, OLIVE OIL PIZZA

SPOT PRAWN NICOISE

PEMBERTON POTATOES, CODDLED EGG, HARICOT VERT, LEMON/MOUTARDE DE MEAUX VINAIGRETTE, TARRAGON

'GIGOT A LA CUILLÈRE'

36 HOUR BRAISED LAMB, ARMAGNAC, GARLIC, GRATIN DAUPHINOISE

SACHERTORTE

BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, APRICOT, VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM

SECOND WEEK; ITALY – AL A CARTE $10 APPETIZER, $18 ENTRÉE. 5 COURSES; $38

RIBOLLITA SOUP

CANNELLINI BEANS, CHORIZO SAUSAGE, CABBAGE, OLIVE OIL

POLPO ALLA GRIGLIA CON LIMONE

GRILLED OCTOPUS, PARSLEY, ROASTED GARLIC, LEMON

VONGOLE AL FORNO CON OREGANO

BAKED, CHERRYSTONE CLAMS, GARLIC, ITALIAN BREAD CRUMB, EVOO

LINGUA BRASATA

BRAISED ‘PINK’ BEEF, CUCUMBER, TOMATO, ROSEMARY, AGLIANICO DEL TABURNO

CLASSICO ITALIANO AFFOGATO

CHOCOLATE, HOT ESPRESSO, DOUBLE VANILLA BEAN ICE CREAM

Stick to my style - keep everything; local and organic first, just local second and international organic lastly.

With this approach I can keep tables available for the locals 'who just want to go out for good food' and the hotel guests who did not know they had to book a month in advance of arriving in the city.

How are other new restaurants dealing with Dine-Out? Who (of the big boys) decided not to be involved?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Gastropod is starting its Dine Out menu today.

Besides Brian's restaurant, a few not on the Tourism Vancouver list: Cibo, La Buca, Pied a Terre, Fuel, Campagnolo, Voya, La Quercia, Bishop's, Lumiere, Vij's, Chow. Lots more that I've missed so feel free to add.

The only one I've seen with a "sold out" posting is West. Menus look pretty good to me.

Cheers,

Anne

Besides Brian's restaurant, a few not on the Tourism Vancouver list:  Cibo, La Buca, Pied a Terre, Fuel, Campagnolo, Voya, La Quercia, Bishop's, Lumiere, Vij's, Chow.  Lots more that I've missed so feel free to add.

The only one I've seen with a "sold out" posting is West. Menus look pretty good to me.

I was just flipping through this week's Georgia Straight and spotted Chambar's ad - featuring "Dine Out" with a big negating slash through it.

Besides Brian's restaurant, a few not on the Tourism Vancouver list:  Cibo, La Buca, Pied a Terre, Fuel, Campagnolo, Voya, La Quercia, Bishop's, Lumiere, Vij's, Chow.  Lots more that I've missed so feel free to add.

I was just flipping through this week's Georgia Straight and spotted Chambar's ad - featuring "Dine Out" with a big negating slash through it.

chambar-ad.jpg

Popped in to Chambar the other night and they proudly whipped it out. We took a snap of it for Scout and put it up here. Amusing stuff.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

chambar-ad.jpg

Popped in to Chambar the other night and they proudly whipped it out. We took a snap of it for Scout and put it up here. Amusing stuff.

Sorry, but what was the link for? Don't see anything whipped out.....