• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The UK Menu Game (2008-)

Escoffier?

Yes!

12th August 1905 Menu of the Luncheon offered by the Members of both Houses of Parliament to Admiral Caillard and his Officers on the Occaison of the visit of the French Fleet to Portsmouth.

Have to try something harder next time

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Lucky guess.

OK, this is a two parter. First guess the restaurant; second guess the missing course. And to make it a bit harder these are descriptions from my notes made after the meal not directly from the menu.

Amuse - melon puree on violet yoghurt topped w/ and olive oil emulsion

1. [guess the missing starter]

2. Languostine w/ coconut sauce

3. Confit of salmon w/ carrot & ginger salad

4. Puy lentils w/ fermented lentil broth, chorizo cream and onion sorbet

Surprise course here - chicken stock, pain grille, smoky bacon

5. Lamb, date & geranium paste, coriander & mint sauce, lemon zest

6. Madelines & fruit

7. Chocolate brownie w/ pistachio ice cream & pistachio spun sugar

8. Jasmine scented egg nog.

Over to you...

Lucky guess.

OK, this is a two parter.  First guess the restaurant; second guess the missing course.  And to make it a bit harder these are descriptions from my notes made after the meal not directly from the menu.

Amuse - melon puree on violet yoghurt topped w/ and olive oil emulsion

1.  [guess the missing starter]

2.  Languostine w/ coconut sauce

3.  Confit of salmon w/ carrot & ginger salad

4.  Puy lentils w/ fermented lentil broth, chorizo cream and onion sorbet

Surprise course here - chicken stock, pain grille, smoky bacon

5.  Lamb, date & geranium paste, coriander & mint sauce, lemon zest

6.  Madelines & fruit

7.  Chocolate brownie w/ pistachio ice cream & pistachio spun sugar

8.  Jasmine scented egg nog.

Over to you...

going on the madelines and fruit and the egg nog I would say l'astrance, which makes the missing dish the mushroom foie gras thing.

Jay

going on the madelines and fruit and the egg nog I would say l'astrance, which makes the missing dish the mushroom foie gras thing.

It is L'Astrance - well spotted. However the missing dish is the "ravioli" of crab, with avocado slices taking the place of the pasta. This was the Menu du Printemps of June 2002 (a bargain 60 Euros lunch) when it was still 1*.

Jay's turn...

THis is not one I remember fondly, eaten in September of last year, outside the UK. Top marks to anyone who does it without recourse to that nice Mr Google. Or an advance copy of my new book.

crayfish en gelee with caviar

oxtail parmentier

artichoke creme brulee (yes, really)

Jay

artichoke creme brulee (yes, really)

If that's the Jerusalem rather then globe variety, then I had that dish in spring 2004 at Hibiscus: "Classic Creme Brulee of Jerusalem Artichoke, Toasted Oats, Caramel Ice Cream". One of Mr Bosi's very few misfires

Le Grand Vefour?  I remember reading a recipe on OA re. their artichoke desert.  Oxtail Parmentier does not sound their style however...

Well done. Le Grand Vefour. And no, andy not Jerusalem; globe. the one I was served was split.

There's nothing like a great three star. and that was nothing...

over to you.

Jay

Off Topic Alert-  Hello Andy-Did you see that funny looking bloke, wittering on Beeb one on Saturday morning? The swine seemed to be using your name. :wink:

Yes, my lawyers are on to it. I can't have a less articulate, fatter version of me running their mouth off on national tv can I?