• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The UK Menu Game (2008-)

No.

I don't think anyone's going to get this actually. It was a place called Gabriel's in Golden Square, themed on Heaven and Hell. The chef, whose name escapes me, was ex Koffman, MPW, Richard Neat. The food was quite good, but it was a financial disaster and lasted less than six months I think.

No.

I don't think anyone's going to get this actually. It was a place called Gabriel's in Golden Square, themed on Heaven and Hell. The chef, whose name escapes me, was ex Koffman, MPW, Richard Neat. The food was quite good, but it was a financial disaster and lasted less than six months I think.

It was a great place - the fig tarte was particularly good, if I remember.

As the previous was a no result, if nobody minds, ill put this forward. Based partly on what i had there a few years ago, very loosely, and what i would choose if i went back, which i'd like to think i will.

-----------

A salad of home-smoked duck with pickled carrots and a five spice syrup

Best end of Herdwick lamb with potato fondant, confit swede, shallot purée and a rosemary jus

Pavé of Valrhona chocolate with blood orange sorbet

pike boudin on the menu is my guess and the restaurant is le cafe anglais

Yup. Ten points. (Put "pike boudin" into Google and the first 35 hits are all reviews of Cafe Anglais, incidentally.)

Anyway, normal service resumes with you, Mr McMayon.

This is my translation from the culinary french of extracts of a historic menu, served in the UK in the 20th century.

Identify the Chef, and ideally the date and place (its in his book)

Lobster Mayonnaise

Scotch Baron of Beef

Lettuce hearts

Peaches Cardinal

This is my translation from the culinary french of extracts of a historic menu, served in the UK in the 20th century.

Identify the Chef, and ideally the date and place (its in his book)

Lobster Mayonnaise

Scotch Baron of Beef

Lettuce hearts

Peaches Cardinal

Careme?

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)