• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2006-)

For me, it was hearts of freshly-cooked artichokes, stuffed with mashed potatoes that had been steamed with garlic, then beaten with salt, pepper, and lots of olive oil. The taste of that simple dish is haunting me.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 4 weeks later...

The first homegrown zucchini of the season. It's weeks early, I just sauteed it in a little olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper, finished with a nice fruity olive oil. Absolutely delicious.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I love it when this topic is revived.

Today for me it was very sweet corn on the cob, with sea salt, and dripping with good butter.

(Yetty, why haven't you been eating much lately? :huh::unsure::sad: ...hope you're OK.)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I stopped at a little farm stand today and brought home Silver King sweet corn, beets, new potatoes and tomatoes. Drenched the first three in butter, freshly ground pepper and sea salt, laid a slice of tomato on a grilled hamburger and topped it with mayo. I'd be hard pressed to pick one thing, but that was the best corn I've had in years.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

A couple of bites of the best warm apple pie with French Vanilla ice cream and Caramel sauce I've ever tasted at my night job.

The garde manger accidentally overbrowned the top of a big honking slab of pie meant for a customer and had to start over. The staff were the recipients of his mistake. The chef said he'd marry our pastry chef just for her apple pie. I told him I was certain he wasn't the first man to say that! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I stopped at a little farm stand today and brought home Silver King sweet corn, beets, new potatoes and tomatoes.  Drenched the first three in butter, freshly ground pepper and sea salt, laid a slice of tomato on a grilled hamburger and topped it with mayo.  I'd be hard pressed to pick one thing, but that was the best corn I've had in years.

Ruth, what is Silver King corn? I love Silver Queen (which I can't find grown here), and my husband is getting ready to make a quick trip up north. I might want to put that on the list. Silver Queen is already on the list. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

A BLT - big slice of garden tomato, applewood smoked bacon, baby arugula, and mayo on soft bread. YUM

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Yesterday...either the ika I had as part of my lunch, or the coconut sorbet after dinner.

Today--chocolate pistachio cannoli! They're supposed to be the dessert for our Sicilian dinner party, but I'm sneaking the filling already and it's wickedly good. :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Pasteles!

For those who aren't familiar with these, they're the Puerto Rican version of a tamale, made with a starchy root dough (taro, green bananas, green plantain cooked together and mashed up), pork shoulder, olives & spices wrapped in banana leaves and parchment paper. They're popular with Puerto Rican families around Christmas time.

The first sour cherry pie of the season with my best pie crust ever. I got a new cherry pitter and tested my theory that the cherries would spray less if I positioned them such that the pit is pushed out at the stem scar. Wrong!! :blink:

• 2 months later...

Today, in the slanting autumn sun, I ate the very last of my cherry tomatoes. About a month ago a deer actually got up on to my freakin' deck and munched about half of my tomato plant and all of my late blooming white roses. -sigh- A very pissed off Snow-White was I. There is still a bit of green fruit that I will pickle ala Jackal10 but still...grr.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Grilled ribeye with anchovy, garlic, and parsley sauce...

189906268_e9a388f945.jpg

I'm sorry, but covering a wonderful ribeye with anchovies is desecretion!

and Sicilian Lifegaurd Calamari...

189907342_65014c9d40.jpg

both made by Ling!

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Steak with Anchovy is a not uncommon preparation- I have seen Steak Mirabeau many times.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

If you like steak with anchovies, try it with nuoc cham.  It's the standard condiment for steak, prime rib, etc. at our house.  Lots of garlic is important.  :smile:

I love Lee & Perrin worchestershire sauce on my steaks, so I suppose that's like having anchovies on the steak :wink: How much do you put into the sauce, Ling?

Could you post the recipe for the Sicilian calamari? That looks great!

The most delicious thing I've eaten this morning is a mango muffin that I just pulled out of the oven. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com