• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2006-)

[Moderator note: The original What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2005)]

Lawery's (sp? - I've already thrown out the box) brand Creme Brulee cheesecake. Found in the frozen section at Sam's.

Even better when eaten while still frozen. So good... Comes presliced, so we just wrap the slices in the Glad sticky stuff, and pull them out as needed. An excellent cheesecake by any standard. Vanilla wafer crust instead of graham crackers.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Emeril's Cretons on Dan Lepard's English Ale and Potato Bread! WOW.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

today, a bowl of miso soup with really al dente egg noodles and slice wagyu beef...

yesterday, barbequed chicken legs with this reallly delicious sauce my cousin made which had chillis, fish sauce, palm sugar and good nes knows what else. it was so good. sigh.

I had a Halla-bong for breakfast. It's some sort of orange-tangelo type thing. It's called a Halla-bong as they are (supposedly) only grown on Jeju island. Possibly the most delicious orange I've ever eaten. Succulent, sweet, with an amazing sweet-orange aroma.

Which it should have been, considering it cost me $5.

Halla-bong

^The gorgonzola was a freebie. I didn't eat it with the sandwich.  :smile: PORK CHEEK!  :wub: Hope they have that as a special next time I'm in Seattle!

The Pork Cheek Sandwich will be the special next week at Salumi. It's definitely worth a 2 hour drive! Thought you'd like to know.

And just to stay on topic:

I had bowl of Chinese noodle soup with tomatoes, egg, spinach and tofu. The broth was made from chicken stock with a hint of curry powder.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

I have been feeling under the weather lately so my best friend made me some jook with spicy ground pork and ginger. I feel loved....

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

OK I've changed jobs (well retail stores anyway) and today I decided to try Panera Bread. I have to say this as far as I concerned my:

Asiago Roast Beef

Roast beef, smoked cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, red onions and our creamy horseradish sauce, on our Asiago Cheese demi.

was absolutely awesome and beat the hell out of the Pizza Hut in the Target I used to work in. Ok the price is a little steep ($6.29) BUT after winning both my football bets last weekend what the hell :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

I just had for dinner some reheated shortribs with leftover polenta washed down with a glass of leftover South African Red. It was good on Sunday and better, I believe, today.

See my post on 65 Years of Gourmet Recipes for pics.

Good eating to all,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

The Pork Cheek Sandwich will be the special next week at Salumi. It's definitely worth a 2 hour drive! Thought you'd like to know.

I'm a bad driver. Send me one through the mail. :laugh:

Today--fresh ginger cake. I can't stop making these. I like David Lebovitz's recipe, and this other recipe I've adapted from Karen Barnaby the best.

Ginger cake...mmmmmmmmmm :wub:

^Damn. That's obscene. In a very good way.

Best thing I had yesterday was the brownie batter I made with Scharffen Berger and Valrhona chocolate. The baked brownies are in the freezer now, awaiting a bath in Pierre Herme's caramel ganache, and a sprinkle of fleur de sel tomorrow.

Most delicious thing I had today was Poplar Grove Tiger Blue cheese. Mmmm...

Today: lunch at Cora's is always good, and their egg salad on homemade brown is wonderful, but the single halved strawberry on top of the immense pile of fruit was so good I actually put down everything and just closed my eyes and chewed.

We say it about draining a golf course, but it's just as true with food: nature always wins.

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

^No, this was made with goat's milk!  :wub:

For a interesting treat with morning pancakes use cajeta thinned with milk or cream and poured over pancakes or use it thick and roll pancakes around it. Great stuff.

Didn't eat much today but did start off with some very slow cooked scrambled eggs that were rich with that creamy texture only low/slow cooking will produce.

^That sounds great! Thanks for the tip!

Yesterday...after an 8 hour eating extravaganza, I'd have to say the raw oyster platter at The Bearfoot Bistro really stood out for me, especially since they were shucked by EG's Oyster Guy. :smile: (And to be more specific, the European flats and the Effingham Bays were my favourites.)

Today--had a great dinner at Parkside restaurant. Tastiest thing was the chicken/rabbit/foie gras terrine with cranberry chutney, avocado puree, and celeriac remoulade.

(I had foie gras three times in two days. :wub: )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nutella filled wonton wrappers that I fried until light golden brown on each side. Then I sprinkled them with powdered sugar. DELISH!

Some weeks back I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make these and I finally tried the recipe today.

Chocolate Swiss cake roll ice cream. Which I am guessing is not on my diet....

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

The most delicious thing...

Yesterday

-toss-up between the honeydew and cantaloupe sorbet and the pineapple tart I ate in the Mistral kitchen

on Friday

-the gougeres at Providence, in LA

on Thursday

-a cake I made for my bf's sister's birthday...three layers of hazelnut butter cake, four layers of Valrhona Le Noir Amer mousse sandwiching layers of hazelnut dacquoise, and Valrhona ganache

on Wednesday

-hangar steak, tendon, tea broth, and fondant potato dish at an underground Gypsy dinner (but to choose ONE thing, it would have to be the meaty tea broth and tendon, together in one glorious bite)