• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2008-)

GordonCooks

Please share your thoughts about tonight's dinner; I'll be there tomorrow. It is at Alex and Aki's place in Levittown this time, and am looking forward to seeing that.

i'm powering through the remnants of a miserable cold to be there tonight. hope i can taste anything.

• 3 weeks later...

The "Breakfast for Dinner" event was off the hook !! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day...OK, the morning...so this was a special treat.

Shola has posted about this dinner on his blog as well. I borrowed the names of the dishes from there as he might have made final adjustments to the menu he provided.

There was plenty of good wine and I will leave that to our trusted wine scribe - Brian.

Scallop . Chamomile-Apple Gelee . Breakfast Radish . Celery - the sweetness from the apple complimented the sea-sweet scallop. Delicate yet flavorful.

4021009530_d47e859136_o.jpg

Marble Rye Ice Cream . Smoked Char . Sorrel - It would be hard to identify the flavor of the marble rye ice cream in a blind taste test, but it gave a great backdrop to the house smoked salmon. In a way, to me, this dish was about the contrasts - salty, smokey and slightly sweet flavors with creamy and crispy textures and contrasts in temperatures as well.

4021009704_ff5d2847c7_b.jpg

Egg Salad "Chiboust" . Caviar . Puffed Parsnip - A simple yet profound bite. Another study in contrasts. The saltiness and the pop from the caviar contrasted the Chiboust and the caviar gently popped in your mouth while the parsnip brought some crunchiness to the party in your mouth. Makes you wish they sold parsnip puffs in stores - Shola, I smell a business opportunity.

4020250687_499dc8827b_b.jpg

Rainwater Madeira Oatmeal . Roasted Matsutake . Parmesan - A savory delight. You could easily fool someone by introducing this dish as a slightly softer version of a mushroom risotto. Wish they served this at the cafeteria at work - for breakfast or lunch. Will certainly have to try this at home.

4020250943_1b544b8610_b.jpg

Toasted Croissant Soup . Cheddar Whey Froth . Bacon Wrapped Andouillete - One of the highlights of the night in a dinner full or stellar dishes. The Andouille and Bacon were smokey and super flavorful while the soup had great depth and the cheese whey froth lifted the dish to a new level.

4020251257_dd2ac540c4_b.jpg

Spanish Mackerel . Tomatoes . Chermoula - Shola was afraid this dish would not fit into the theme, but there are many cultures who have fish for breakfast besides the British - it is fairly common in the far east. The Chermoula kicked a$$.

4020251319_0406b6f5ef_b.jpg

Meadow Run Farm Egg . Triple Chicken Bouillon . White Truffle. Whipped Foie Gras - Looks can be deceiving - this was an umami bomb. The egg was cooked so that the yolk was just set, though I would have liked to try some with a slightly runny yolk.

4021010682_1bee452929_b.jpg

4021010952_d731f1eea2_b.jpg

"La Ratte" Potato-Oxtail Terrine . Potato-Egg Yolk Foam . Oxtail Jus - On an ordinary day, this version of "steak and eggs" would rock - and it did. However, in this meal of superstars, it did not shine as strong.

4020251791_12ab60bbd8_b.jpg

Old Spot Pork Belly . Dulche de Miso . Apple . Fennel . Celeriac - Now, I have had my fair share of pork belly (and yes, I have the belly to prove it) and Shola's pork belly is on top of the list and this was probably the best one I have every had. Just perfect ratio or fat to meat and the skin....ohhh that crispy, crunchy, flavorful skin. If I were a poet, I would write an ode to the pork belly skin. The Dulche de Miso and Sous Vide apple puree were amazing and have been added to my "must try at home list".

4020251987_6383496649_b.jpg

Dessert #1 - Caramel Corn Puffs . Celery Root Milk . Corn Sorbet . Mint - Another simple looking dish, but very unique flavor profiles, making you wish you could have this everyday.

4020252123_e34b79d289_b.jpg

Dessert #2 - Frozen Butterscotch . Smoked Chocolate . Roasted Banana Sorbet . Bourbon Maple Glazed Benton Bacon - A "Maverick" dessert.... conceptually intriguing, texturally interesting and flavorful.

4020252243_c85b3eb86d_b.jpg

Thanks to Shola and my fellow diners, for a very memorable StudioKitchen dinner (some would argue they all are).

Edited by percyn (log)

• 1 month later...

I think you have sent inspiration sparks to many a thread viewer here. Cooking what you love, serving guests, teaching, and making a good profit all at the same time - dream job indeed. I am interested as both a host and a guest. What I wonder is how one goes about advertising such an enterprise - website, flyers, word of mouth... It is so special when a private home is turned into a public venue. Brings personal relationships back into the corporate world.

Perhaps one can take a building and turn each apartment into a unique restaurant! Call it Restaurant Mall!

• 7 months later...

Studio Kitchen Returns -

With the September opening of his restaurant, Speck, Shola will resume the Studio Kitchen experience. "Nine courses and a few surprises," according to the announcement on the Studio Kitchen blog. Reservations may be purchased, prepaid, on line as tickets. Two four seat counters - communal in that any number up to eight may sign on.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I had to give up my reservation on Friday, Oct 8th at the Studiokitchen table. It should be available if anyone here would like to jump on it.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Hmmm, haven't been able to eat real food since July 16th due to surgeries and other fun stuff ... this may be a good option for my break fast.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen it, and I believe it.

Of course I'd rather be sitting at the counter eating, rather than believing in it, but FWIW, I'm confident it's imminent.

I cannot, however, Speckulate on an exact date...

Phil is the man who knows it all, so believe him. Simply ignore his lame pun.

After hearing of many plans for a restaurant over the years, I too was in the same camp as Peter and many others: I'd believe it when there was a plate of food in front of me.

I certainly can't blame anyone for being skeptical, but I'm just saying that after having seen the place quite recently, I believe it. They're certainly not the first place to misjudge the date that they can get the doors open.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

After hearing of many plans for a restaurant over the years, I too was in the same camp as Peter and many others: I'd believe it when there was a plate of food in front of me.

I certainly can't blame anyone for being skeptical, but I'm just saying that after having seen the place quite recently, I believe it. They're certainly not the first place to misjudge the date that they can get the doors open.

Hey Phil,

Do you know if there will be a menu with ala carte dining? Or will it just be one table a night? Will it be more like StudioKitchen or more of a restaurant?