• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2008-)

GordonCooks

[Moderator note: The original StudioKitchen topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: StudioKitchen (2002-2007)]

What's the 411 on Shola these days? If I make another trip down, he's the most interesting thing culinary wise in Philly.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

• 4 weeks later...
Et alors! Is Shola returning to the (semi)public arena? I promise to myself a meal at his table before my demise... I must be kept informed!

Shola's been doing regular guest chef gigs. Assuming you're not one of the privileged few in nyc or around here who gets to have Shola as their private chef, that's the only way to get a taste of his cooking for the time being. :smile:

• 1 month later...
Shola will be doing a Plate Presentation class at Foster's on May 7.  $65/pp.  I would do a hyperlink but...I don't know how!!

Here's the link...

Zeffer, if you IM me, I'll be happy to share the magic of making links on eG-it's very easy! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 5 months later...

Anyone know what Shola is up to these days? His studiokitchen blog has been inaccessible for the past month or so. Phoodie.info did an interview with him in July and he mentioned a couple upcoming guest chef gigs (one at Blackfish, one at Tiffin), but as far as I know neither has actually taken place.

A restaurant would be great. It has been too long since I have had Shola's cooking.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A restaurant would be great. It has been too long since I have had Shola's cooking.

You might want to check here. Shola is doing a cooking class at Foster's Homeware, at 4th and Market, on November 19th. Can't promise you'd get a whole meal, but if samples at his last class are any indication, they'll be fairly generous. It could be a steal at $49 for the class. There's other interesting classes coming up also, plus free demos on Saturdays-- including Jose Garces on Oct. 11 and Marc Vetri on Nov. 8th, each doing cooking demos and cookbook signings.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

OK, Shola is talking about a 600 square foot kitchen. Using 1968 ratios which by now may be terribly outdated, that translates to a 1200 to 2800 square foot dining room that seats somewhere between 60 and 90 people.

Maybe more if he replicates the Studio Kitchen Concept and runs large communal tables, which would be neat. Imagine staggered two hour seatings and communal tables for 12 to 20 people. Assuming Shola continues the wonders of Studio Kitchen, the presentation of each course by Shola and the ensuing group discussion and questions would make for a rewarding dining experience.

But as Ms. Sarah says, I am just going on and on all about the past and I betcha Shola will certainly be about the future.

Edited because I tried to do math in my head.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It certainly is good to see the blog back. I am very much looking forward to the restaurant when it comes to fruition.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

OK he's back!

http://studiokitchen.typepad.com/

Carry on...

At one remove, a comment on a January Boston.com blog item he links to and is quoted in:

So instead of keeping hope alive, we're gonna seal it inside?

I assume we will all be kept up to date and that this saga won't match that of the conveyor-belt sushi place^W^W^W specialty pharmacy next to Maoz on Walnut Street.

--Sandy "you wanna know my feelings about Barack Obama, go look up my posts on Phillyblog" Smith

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 4 weeks later...

The surest way to get your hands on some of Shola's cooking in the near near term: a cooking class at Foster's.

ELEVATED FALL COMFORT FOODS

Wednesday, November 19, 2008                              5:45 PM-7:45 PM              $49.00 a person

Taught by Chef Shola Olunloyo of StudioKitchen

Chef Olunloyo returns to Foster’s to create impeccable seasonal dishes that reflect his passion for entertaining friends at home.  The delicious dishes will include butternut squash soup and braised short ribs.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 2 months later...

Shola's blog isn't down, but it is now password-protected. Perhaps he'll reconsider. The next-to-last post I read on it detailed a mildly critical comment he got from a reader, and his response to it, and then the last post said that he was going to make the blog available by invitation only. Apparently if you were getting the RSS feed you should get the password, I wasn't so I didn't.

From the man himself....

Unfortunately for the indefinite future, the studiokitchen blog will

only have limited view only by the 8 people who have access now

because I can verify their identities.

The blog was started simply to share ideas and give a window into the

cooking process while having some fun but the annoying comments and

hacking attempts have soured my interest of making it public anymore.

It was only started to talk about and show what is possible with food

without any advertising.

It's a type of culinary diary for me unfortunately some have chosen to

abuse that process.

Perhaps as internet technology catches up, elements of it will become

public again.