• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2007– )

Nathan

I don't like the current version of the branzino dish as the audacious one with the charred leeks...but it's still very good. 

the current lamb loin/belly dish is the best yet.

What does "the audacious one with the charred leeks" mean?

big. bodacious, bold, salty, olive oil-slicked robust flavors.

How big was the filet? :wink:

A bunch of us went to Momo Ssam last Thursday night and reserved the Bo Ssam. As apps, we started with the pork buns, little pillows encasing tiny bits of Heaven. Delicious, fluffy, and surprisingly light with great texture. One of our party didn't eat meat so she had the squid salad and said it was magnificent, but I was too busy concentrating on my little chunks of pig Heaven.

The main course, the Bo Ssam, was as delicious as ever, with one quibble: the bottom of the plate was a bit oily. But my God was it fantastic above the oil line! The thing literally fell apart the moment you touched it, not dry or over-salty (last time the Kimchees were extremely salty, moreso than usual).

As we're a bunch of wine-lovers, we brought our own, and corkage was the standard $30. Service was good despite the dinner crush, and we never felt we were being rushed.

BTW, pictures can be seen HERE.

A great night, and I look forward to their new incarnation after the renovation.

Cheers! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the new "incarnation" is complete? From today's NY Times:

David Chang has changed his open kitchen to make it less of a “fast-food lineup,” as he put it.

So, can somebody please explain this to me.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I might not be explaining it using the right terms, but from what I have observed, the kitchen is now more of a big square donut, opposed to long counters and aisles.

What used to be the ssam assembly area turned into the pickle plating and steamed buns area after dinner took off. So now the kitchen now has more of an open feel, and the pickle/bun assembly area is now the raw bar and desserts station.

The raw bar and desserts station behind the long counter has become a wine storage area and also where servers go to put in orders, etc. The peninsula seating at the front of the restaurant is now gone, as one side has been replaced by a sink. The L shaped waiting table is now in front. They've gotten rid of almost all of the 4-top tables in front. The end of the bar nearest to the kitchen now has the peninsular, two-across counter seats. There's also a 4th 8-top table back against the wall where the orders computer and rice cooker used to be.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I moved my dining-room table four inches to the left over the weekend. Maybe I can get a cryptic, uninformative blurb in "Off the Menu" too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I moved my dining-room table four inches to the left over the weekend. Maybe I can get a cryptic, uninformative blurb in "Off the Menu" too.

Did you remove the backs from your chairs?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I was mistaken. There are still some 3- and 4-tops in front. Three, to be precise. Two 4-tops and one 3-top. They did push two together to seat a large party who were getting a Bo Ssam.

Did the razor clam preparation have celery in it when you tried, Nathan? I didn't like the dish at all, mainly because I hate celery.

no celery

I've had that dish a few times with varying amounts of celery. I think the time that it had the most celery in it was that night that you (Kathryn) had it.

I happen to love this dish - I can't get enough of that nigori, chamomile broth.

I also enjoyed some dijon spaetzle with a duck crepinette (sp?). Delicious. I approve of their spaetzle :biggrin:

I've had that dish a few times with varying amounts of celery.  I think the time that it had the most celery in it was that night that you (Kathryn) had it.

Figures!

Stopped by Ssam Bar for lunch yesterday, because I was craving a rice bowl - and, even after running into some famous people dining at the restaurant, was surprised to see that they don't offer the lunch special any more.

Instead, it appears to be the full menu, but you can never really get a straight answer from any of the staffers as to what's going on - which I've decided is a top-down decision by Chang to always keep the public guessing, as well as to always keep him on the radar as to what he's doing now, be it with Noodlbe Bar, Ssam bar or Ko.

Oh, and there is a $28 Prix Fixe now - choice of 3 starters, 3 mains, and 2 desserts.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Apple kimchi is back! Burger's jowl, maple labne, arugula, Honeycrisp apples. Just as delicious as it was last year.

New take on wild striped bass: fennel, yogurt, concord grapes. I liked it but didn't love it, but my fiance loved it. I am still working my head around this one.

New blood sausage dish with pickled lime puree, frisee, black mission figs and toasts was fantastic. Long Island duck breast, dijon spaetzle, brussel sprouts, five spoke cheddar, pear puree, pear cubes, and duck js was also phenomenal.

Tien also mentioned some new experiments in pates in croute coming soon. Pheasant and lobster mushroom, I think. Might be on the menu as early as tonight.

Didn't get to try the poached Chatham cod (out of stomach space) or the Jersey succotash (pancetta, corn, chanterelles). Hope the PB&J comes back soon.

The Apple Kimchi and the pork shoulder "steak" (If I'm remembering that correctly) were the big winners for us last week. Also believe it or not the very simple "bread and butter" was fantastic too. Just basically baguette with two types of butter. So delicious we needed a second order of bread.

Edited by flinflon28 (log)

Yup, pork shoulder steak with buttermilk dressing. It's been on the menu a little while but I think the most recent incarnation is the best and easiest to eat. And that buttermilk dressing is killer.

The bread and butter is very good too -- I thought bread refills were complimentary? They had morel butter for a while but I think that's gone now, drat.

I would too! Once brought a ravenous friend along with a big group to Ssam Bar, got some bread and butter while waiting, and we ended up eating four loaves.

I love that the butter is pre-softened and comes with a good deal of salt and pepper on it (I am often annoyed if there is no salt on the table if there's high quality bread and butter around).

• 1 month later...

Well if it wasn't hard enough going to Ssam, Bruni just reviewed it again and upped the rating to 3 stars.

Full review is here.

Congrats to Chang and Tien!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin