• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2007– )

Nathan

Err...does this mean the full menu is no longer available?

I think they're going to go with the scaled back After Hours menu from 11pm - 2am on sunday - wednesday nights. I'm just glad that they're continuing to stay open till 2am even if it means I can't get the full menu. Besides I can't wait to see what other "snacks" they come up with.

Err...does this mean the full menu is no longer available?

I think they're going to go with the scaled back After Hours menu from 11pm - 2am on sunday - wednesday nights. I'm just glad that they're continuing to stay open till 2am even if it means I can't get the full menu. Besides I can't wait to see what other "snacks" they come up with.

That sounds perfect. If I'm first getting around to having dinner after 11pm, I really only want a snack (or 3) anyway. This makes total sense.

If the full menu is still available on weekends, this is definitely "not as bad as it could be." Losing the best late-night dining in the universe would *not* be a good thing. (Although I'm psyched Terroir's kitchen is open until 1...not that Terroir is Ssam Bar.)

I'm sure it was a necessary retrenchment, but I can't say I think it's "perfect" or even "better."  More like "not as bad as it could be."

Right. The last couple of times I was in were midweek after midnight, and the place was pretty slow. It can't possibly be efficient to offer the whole menu under those circumstances. (Service was also off, as it has been ever since Cory stopped being a constant presence at Ssam Bar.) So it's great, from my perspective, that they're going to a limited menu, because the alternative would be to close at midnight.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thirding that the Sichuan Beef Tendon with tat soi and pickled green mango is really good. I also like the new sliced Wild Striped Bass with huckleberry sauce, shredded daikon, and what I think were fried lily bulbs on top. It's a raw bar menu item. Nice heat and textural contrasts as well given the crunch of the fried topping.

On other recent visits, I've had a special of duck pancetta with grapes and a perfectly dressed salad. Basically like eating thinly sliced, delicious, duck bacon. Yum. Also had the pleasure of eating their wonderfully decadent house-made lardo on toast. Mizuna salad, house pickled banana peppers, and green grapes, on Sullivan Street Bakery bread. Fabulous, but very very fatty. (It wasn't on the menu last time I went though. Alas.)

They have also been experimenting with more pates and the like. I've had a few variations, with the last version one coming with mustard and a flaky, buttery crust on the outside, in a loaf form, as well as tomatillos. It was served room temperature, nicely done, but not my style. I'm a warm pate, spread it on warm toast kind of girl. However, the house made Crossabaw Pork Mortadella was excellent, made with delicious chunks of fat and tender pistachios, accompanied by pickled cauliflower and mizuna.

The mortadella looks like it's made it to the menu. I would've chosen the duck pancetta or lardo as well. Cough, cough. Looking forward to trying the fried Bell & Evans chicken with tat soi and trumpet mushrooms that is new on the menu. New to me, at least. That's the problem with all of these daily specials -- you never know if that delicious thing you had last time will make it to the menu.

Oh, and they've returned to an earlier prep of the raw diver scallops. Back to the pickled cherries and lemon, although my friends thought the lemon was sweeter this time around. "Like lemon meringue pie" said one of my friends, though I didn't think it was really that supersweet. I would have preferred it a tad more sour and a healthier portion of the lemon puree. There wasn't really enough to go around. The cured/dried topping (seaweed?), however, was twice as good as I remembered it. I want a big can of that for home.

I think I've eaten every single item on the menu except for the $140 ribeye.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Thirding that the Sichuan Beef Tendon with tat soi and pickled green mango is really good. I also like the new sliced Wild Striped Bass with huckleberry sauce, shredded daikon, and what I think were fried lily bulbs on top. It's a raw bar menu item. Nice heat and textural contrasts as well given the crunch of the fried topping.

On other recent visits, I've had a special of duck pancetta with grapes and a perfectly dressed salad. Basically like eating thinly sliced, delicious, duck bacon. Yum. Also had the pleasure of eating their wonderfully decadent house-made lardo on toast. Mizuna salad, house pickled banana peppers, and green grapes, on Sullivan Street Bakery bread. Fabulous, but very very fatty. (It wasn't on the menu last time I went though. Alas.)

They have also been experimenting with more pates and the like. I've had a few variations, with the last version one coming with mustard and a flaky, buttery crust on the outside, in a loaf form, as well as tomatillos. It was served room temperature, nicely done, but not my style. I'm a warm pate, spread it on warm toast kind of girl. However, the house made Crossabaw Pork Mortadella was excellent, made with delicious chunks of fat and tender pistachios, accompanied by pickled cauliflower and mizuna.

The mortadella looks like it's made it to the menu. I would've chosen the duck pancetta or lardo as well. Cough, cough. Looking forward to trying the fried Bell & Evans chicken with tat soi and trumpet mushrooms that is new on the menu. New to me, at least. That's the problem with all of these daily specials -- you never know if that delicious thing you had last time will make it to the menu.

Oh, and they've returned to an earlier prep of the raw diver scallops. Back to the pickled cherries and lemon, although my friends thought the lemon was sweeter this time around. "Like lemon meringue pie" said one of my friends, though I didn't think it was really that supersweet. I would have preferred it a tad more sour and a healthier portion of the lemon puree. There wasn't really enough to go around. The cured/dried topping (seaweed?), however, was twice as good as I remembered it. I want a big can of that for home.

I think I've eaten every single item on the menu except for the $140 ribeye.

Is it really Crossabaw pork? I assumed that was a misspelling on the menu.

the Crossabaw mortadella is very nice. but it's ultimately kind of overpriced for what is basically some thinly sliced meat and pickled cauliflower.

on the other hand, the new grilled branzino served with a pile of leeks slicked with olive oil and crispy salsify is just terrific...and a steal.

on the other hand, the new grilled branzino served with a pile of leeks slicked with olive oil and crispy salsify is just terrific...and a steal.

Agreed. Perfectly cooked, succulent fish. Tender leeks, flavorful olive oil, and perfectly crisp strips of salsify. This came last in our parade of dishes last night, and I thought I was full but I must have had a sudden surge of hunger after tasting this. Absolutely marvelous, especially with a healthy dose of that olive oil.

Agreed. Perfectly cooked, succulent fish. Tender leeks, flavorful olive oil, and perfectly crisp strips of salsify. This came last in our parade of dishes last night, and I thought I was full but I must have had a sudden surge of hunger after tasting this. Absolutely marvelous, especially with a healthy dose of that olive oil.

That fish was stunningly delicious.

Went to Ssam Bar last night hoping for some brussel sprouts but they were on the Late Night Menu by then.

Had the Bahn Mi and Nori Popcorn. The Bahn Mi was delicious and just as I remembered it from a few months ago but possibly a bit smaller. The Nori Popcorn is very good and a relative steal at $4. Huge serving and freshly popped. Heavily seasoned so it would be challenging for one person to finish it without a salt overload but a perfect snack to share. And then it's $2 each!!

No brussels sprouts were available on Sunday. The season is over very soon, I think. Asparagus is coming, though! And then tomato season!

Edited by kathryn (log)

flinflon28, we missed each other! I was there slightly earlier than you.

The squid salad is back on the menu in a slightly different incarnation. It's a little bit spicy, but not as spicy as last year's salad. I'm having trouble remembering more about last year's squid salad - I'm vaguely picturing something the color of cilantro - that is no longer present in the salad. This year's rendition has some radish slices in it. It's very tasty.

We had the brown butter cake with stout cream and plumped raisins for the second time and I realized how amazing this dessert is. The stout cream contrasts nicely with the brown butter cake and raisins, preventing these elements from making the dessert overwhelmingly sweet.

The rice cakes with sausage, crispy shallots, green onions and Chinese broccoli were perfect last night. Nice amount of spice for me. Not painful.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by around 1am last night for what was going to be a quick small bite but ended up having two oysters and the skate dish.

Being so late the place was practically a ghost town and the few people in there either seemed to work at Noodle Bar or were just getting off work from another restaurant.

Server mentioned it was incredibly slow the whole night probably due to the weather.

The skate was incredible. Simply dredged in what I think may have been seasoned Wondra a few roasted fingerling potatos and a spicy aioli. VERY spicy but I loved it.

I think for the price (which I think was $22) it was a steal.

A number of David Chang's recipes were published in the November, 2007 issue of Bon Appetit.  W

There were also around 6 recipes in Gourmet. I haven't read this month's Bon Appetit yet. Were they the same recipes as in Gourmet? I have a few recipes from a cooking class that I took with him earlier in the year. There were also some recipes published over a year ago in the Times (in that Mark Bittman series on David Chang / Noodle Bar).

Lots of recipes floating around... I'm wondering if a cookbook is underway. Now, that would make me super happy.... :wub:

It looks like there will be a cookbook that is due out in 2009!! :wub:

http://eater.com/archives/2008/04/breaking_peter.php

Edited by spaetzle_maker (log)

The tasting menu was there when I went in January.

As someone who doesn't get to enjoy New York restaurants regularly, I loved this place. Thumping music, funky bartenders, offal - what more could a girl want?

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."