• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2007– )

Nathan

Hmm -- there's bacon in the clams/mussels stew but I can't recall any other seafood based dishes with pork/duck fat. Here's some things that are probably safe from a recent menu:

Caraquet oysters with kimchi consomme

Cracked Empress Jonah crab claws with yuzu mayo

Spanish Mackeral tataki -- water spinach kimchi, asian pears

Cured hamachi -- edamame, horseradish, pea leaves

Diver sea scallops -- lemon puree, pickled cherries, seaweed

Santa Barbara uni -- tapioca, whipped tofu, scallions

There's also a newer cured (?) fish dish that tastes similar to yellowtail but with firmer flesh, however the name escapes me at the moment.

Old Bay pan-fried skate -- roasted fingerlings, preserved lemon, spicy aioli

Squid and shrimp stew -- coconut milk, galangal, sweet potato

Seasonal pickles (vegetarian)

Bread & butter (vegetarian) -- sea salt butter, St Helen's Farm goat's butter

Roasted mushroom salad (vegetarian) -- pistachio, radish, crones

Desserts sans meat:

Spicy chocolate crumb cake -- banana cream, kochukaru

PB&J -- concord grape jelly, crunchy peanut butter, saltine ice cream

Hazelnut Dacquoise - parsnip buttercream, salted honey, grapefruit ice

Definite NOT VEGETARIAN on the brussels sprouts due to the fish sauce and to the Amish Cheddar Shortcake due to the ham cream.

I'm unnsure about the chawan mushi as it might be cooked with non-vegetarian additives (broth), plus there's the fish roe on top.

I guess...don't bring vegetarians to Ssam Bar.

Sadly, they don't do raw food, and I can tell you already that the uni dish will not fly. I guess between the pickles, skate, the squid/shrimp stew, and desserts, they'll be able to cobble together a fine meal. Thanks.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
did my third bo ssam last night....its amazing how well it works as the centerpiece to a large group meal.

twas also good to meet some egulleteers in person...

Many thanks to Nathan for putting this excursion together. I was dying to try the Bo Ssäm, but you need a big crowd. I would never have been well organized enough to put one together myself, so I was grateful that Nathan did.

My blog post on the meal is here. Despite all the photos, I realized later that I'd forgotten to include the excellent desserts. I'll have to rectify that tonight.

Edited by oakapple (log)

On the current menu, there's a pan-roasted dry-aged ribeye for $140. Has anyone here tried this? How many people does it feed?

I had it once. it was very good...if straightforward. it's good-sized but it's nothing like the bo ssam...it'd probably serve as the main course for 4.

On the current menu, there's a pan-roasted dry-aged ribeye for $140. Has anyone here tried this? How many people does it feed?

I had it once. it was very good...if straightforward. it's good-sized but it's nothing like the bo ssam...it'd probably serve as the main course for 4.

I would say main course for 2-4 depending on how many other dishes you get. Here's what it looked like early last year. (They've changed the garnishes a few times so I'm not sure what it comes with at the moment.):

gallery_26869_3885_9593.jpg

gallery_26869_3885_6534.jpg

If you see the Pork Porterhouse you should definitely order it, it's even better than the steak:

gallery_26869_3885_2675.jpg

What are the wait times like at Ssam lately? I am thinking of going either Friday or Sat. night (finally!). Is one night less busy than another? Can you put your name on a list and leave and come back or do you have to wait until a table opens up? What would be the best time for the shortest wait?

Many thanks!

Edited by Mussina (log)

What are the wait times like at Ssam lately?  I am thinking of going either Friday or Sat. night (finally!).  Is one night less busy than another?  Can you put your name on a list and leave and come back or do you have to wait until a table opens up?  What would be the best time for the shortest wait?

Many thanks!

if the wait is long, you can leave your name and come back.

if you are one person...the wait is usually no more than 15 minutes at any time. for two it can be 10-45 minutes on Friday or Saturday night at primetime 8:30-9...by 10 there are usually open seats. so after 10 for sure is easy...I imagine that earlybird hours (before 8) are good too.

I've found wait times of 45 minutes even for earlybird hours. Quoted times are often longer than actual times, however.

Wait in the back at the tables they have there. Watch the kitchen, order a beer or an order of buns and hang out. There's more space than you think.

I'm from montreal and every time I come down to Manhattan I have to go to Momofuku this year I went 4 times love the vibe & food , very fun and relaxed.

Love the black creek sparkling shiraz with that food eating prosciutto with chop stix the oysters, scollops brussel sprout , mushrooms,Cauliflaur, sweetbreads , squid , ribs , the hanger- steak ssam the list never stops oh ya the Ice cream dumpling's

the staff are cool and Pros. @ what they do .

But my next time I'm going for the Bo Ssam does anyone recommend it.

And does anyone know if Momofuku Ko is open yet.

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

I actually think the bo ssam is not a particularly great demonstration of Ssam Bar's culinary acumen. Aside from being horrifically overpriced, it's not truly exceptional. You can get pork shoulder at New Green Bo that's nearly as good and costs $12.95 (though you'd have to order two or three to get the bo ssam volume). No it's not from some fancy artisanal hog but when you cook a pork shoulder for a thousand hours you don't get the kind of differentiation you get with a pork chop, a country ham, bacon, ribs -- basically all the other pork stuff at Ssam Bar. I don't think a North Carolina pork eater would be particularly impressed by the bo ssam, which has as its primary virtue the fact that it's cooked to the point of falling apart. At least, having eaten a lot of pork in North Carolina, I wasn't impressed by it. I would much rather eat the rest of the dishes on the Ssam Bar menu, especially given that you can get ten of them for the price of a bo ssam.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What's funny is that I agree with that completely, yet STILL love the Bo Ssam.

I feel the same way. I love the variety of ordering off the menu. The Bo Ssam is good though - I wouldn't say it's something to miss. In fact, I think it's a highly positive point about Ssam Bar to say that the "regular" menu is really the star of the place... (I don't know if that's what sneakeater and fatguy are saying, but it's what I'm saying)

Had an amazing dinner here on Saturday night (40 minute wait or so for 3 people) with an amuse of spicy duck ham on an piece of apple (oh my god), oysters, scallops (though I think I like the old prep better, couldn't really taste the lychee or lime), Benton's ham, Burger's ham, steamed buns, apple kimchi, fried brussels sprouts, sweetbreads, the pork belly ssam, the hazelnut torte, and new dessert, brown butter shortcake with raisins and stout. Oh, and the kitchen brought out a new dish: roasted Jerusalem artichokes with bacon and a fried egg on top. I hope it makes it to the real menu because it was amazing. I thought the ones at Craft were good. These are even better.

I'm going to be thinking of the brown butter shortcake and the Jerusalem artichokes all week long.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

You can get pork shoulder at New Green Bo that's nearly as good and costs $12.95 (though you'd have to order two or three to get the bo ssam volume). No it's not from some fancy artisanal hog but when you cook a pork shoulder for a thousand hours you don't get the kind of differentiation you get with a pork chop, a country ham, bacon, ribs -- basically all the other pork stuff at Ssam Bar.

Without straying too much from topic I took your advice and had the pork shoulder at New Green Bo last night and my paradigm has been shifted.

It was excellent.

Texture, flavor and portion size.

Edited by flinflon28 (log)

You can get pork shoulder at New Green Bo that's nearly as good and costs $12.95 (though you'd have to order two or three to get the bo ssam volume). No it's not from some fancy artisanal hog but when you cook a pork shoulder for a thousand hours you don't get the kind of differentiation you get with a pork chop, a country ham, bacon, ribs -- basically all the other pork stuff at Ssam Bar.

Without straying too much from topic I took your advice and had the pork shoulder at New Green Bo last night and my paradigm has been shifted.

It was excellent.

Texture, flavor and portion size.

And if you stray across the street Yeah Shanghai does a very good version too. Even better Shanghai Cafe. (Both over braised baby bok-choy if I remember correctly).

That wasn't chicken

Just for clarity: tong po/dong po/whatever pork is a different dish. It's chunks of pork arranged like a flower and served with those little buns. What we're talking about is the dish described on the New Green Bo menu as "Pork Shoulder In Brown Sauce," which is a single hunk of pork shoulder. It's not sauced quite the same as the bo ssam: the Chinese-restaurant version comes in a wide shallow glass bowl in a pool of sauce. But if employed sparingly the flavor of the sauce winds up not being all that far off from the bo ssam marinade/mop.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

hmm...I'm all confused. I'm talking about the pork shoulder in the sort of anise sauce over bok choy as well. I've had this dish any number of times and I'm pretty sure it's sometimes been listed as tung po pork....but maybe not...