• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2007– )

Nathan

[Moderator note: The original Momofuku Ssam Bar topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Momofuku Ssam Bar (2006-2007)]

that new squid and shrimp stew is kind of boring.

all the ingredients are good, it's just not very interesting. kind of like a moqueca. for this genre, I find myself preferring something like the Thai tom kha...where the mellowness of the coconut milk is balanced with the assertive snap of galangal.

that new squid and shrimp stew is kind of boring.

all the ingredients are good, it's just not very interesting.  kind of like a moqueca.  for this genre, I find myself preferring something like the Thai tom kha...where the mellowness of the coconut milk is balanced with the assertive snap of galangal.

Nathan, there is galangal in the shrimp and squid stew.

Meal with friends at MSB tonight. Quoted an hour to hour and one-half wait but were seated in about 40 minutes because one party didn't show. I've been having good luck with wait times there of late.

Ordered buns, chicken ballotine, brussels, mussel and clam stew, hangar ssam, and pork belly ssam. Weaker spots were the ballotine and stew, though they weren't unenjoyable by any means. I found the ballotine perhaps a bit bland and the stew a bit unbalanced. I tasted a distinct fermented note that could've come from either the kimchee or something like Chinese rice wine. Both dishes were tasty, just not as great as the others. Everything else was pretty awesome, and the pork belly ssam completely out of control delicious. Seriously, a nearly perfect dish bite when everything is all wrapped up.

ETA: Also tried toe hazelnut torte with honey and grapefruit. Better than it should be. Somehow the powerfully acidic granita works well with the rich cake.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

I went to MSB on Friday and had a quick meal. I found it to be very good. I had the steamed buns and then the sweetbreads. The pork buns had the pork belly with the sauce and accompaniments inside. The sweetbreads were grilled flat and they came with a lime wedge with salt on it to sprinkle on top and a tiny side of pickled vegetables.

The problem for me is that I find the prices of things very expensive for the amount you get. If it was up to me I would eat there regularly and order a lot because I love the atmosphere and the food, but the price factor is definitely an issue for me.

Oh good, I was hoping we could kick off 2008 with a discussion of price and value at Ssam Bar. I definitely acknowledge that you can go in to Ssam Bar and spend a lot of money for small portions. But I have two further thoughts on the issue:

1. I think the prices of many dishes are high compared to similarly casual restaurants, but quite low compared to restaurants that serve food at that level of quality.

2. You have a lot of control over how much you spend, and on what. You can certainly go in and spend $80+ per person, but you can also get a really strong three-course meal for half that and a first-rate two-course snack for half that again. And I see it all the time: the three people to the left of me at the bar might be having the $75-per-person tasting plus wine, and the guy on my right just comes in for an order of pork buns followed by the saltine ice cream and he drinks water. They all eat really well.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I went last night with a group of 10. We had the bo ssam, 3 pork buns, 2 uni, 2 apple kimchi, 2 brussel sprouts, 2 mushroom salad, and 2 $60.00 bottles of wine (4 were non drinking teenagers). With tip it came to about $55.00 a person, and I think it was terrific value for the money.

We brought a bunch of pork home and certainly everyone was full - though this is indeed a function of which dishes you order.

So I second fat guy's take.

If you want to dine at Momofuku Ssäm Bar, and have the food that is purported to be the best cuisine to have debuted in NYC in the last three years, it is not going to be a cheap meal. The only thing you can say in its favor, is that it will be much less than you'd pay at an actual three or four-star restaurant. On the other hand, you will have to put up with considerable inconvenience, namely, the other amenities that make three and four-star restaurants cost what they do. I think most diners, if they have the choice, prefer to have those amenities, or at least a subset of them, which is why you haven't seen a dozen more Momofuku Ssäm Bar clones popping up all over town.

Edited by oakapple (log)

I don't think it's entirely possible to generalize that way. I'm not looking at the most recent menu, but based on a couple of older ones it seems the acclaimed dishes are all over the map. Things like the fried cauliflower, all the country hams, the apple-and-bacon salad, and the famous pork buns and pickles are all about $9-$11. Then there are several acclaimed items in the mid teens, such as the uni and the hamachi (both $16 on the menu I have handy, which may be out of date). And then there's a lot of stuff at $19 and up -- way up. It just depends. But it's not that all the most delicious stuff is expensive. Several of the best dishes are priced quite low.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I went last night with a group of 10. We had the bo ssam, 3 pork buns, 2 uni, 2 apple kimchi, 2 brussel sprouts, 2 mushroom salad, and 2 $60.00 bottles of wine (4 were non drinking teenagers). With tip it came to about $55.00 a person, and I think it was terrific value for the money.

We brought a bunch of pork home and certainly everyone was full - though this is indeed a function of which dishes you order.

So I second fat guy's take.

Saw your party. Looked like you were having a great time.

The seafood stew I had last night was quite large for the $18 or so it is. That with bread and butter is easily a hearty meal in it self. Personally we spent $50/person which is pretty much par for the course for a solid meal there with one drink or so each.

I'd say my average check (with wine/beer, tax and tip) has been in the $40-80 range.  Really hard to complain about that.

It's not so much a matter of complaining as acknowledging it for what it is. That's also a pretty wide range. These days, $40 is perhaps one step above the "cheap eats" category, whereas $80 is trending towards "expensive" (not quite touching it).

Okay I found an October 2007 menu. For some reason I can't find the most recent one from when I was there in December 2007. Let's look at some of the prices of the dishes I think are the best on the menu:

- The three raw seafood dishes that I think are three of the best dishes in town right now -- hamachi, scallops, uni -- are all $16

- The pork buns are $9 and the seasonal pickles are $10

- All the country hams are $10

- The apple kimchi is $12 and the fried cauliflower is $11

- The grilled mackerel is $15

- The lemongrass pork sausage ssam is $17

There are also some more expensive dishes:

- Pan-fried skate $19

- Hanger steak ssam $21

- Pork spare ribs $25

- The $100 ribeye

- The $180 bo ssam (but of course this is for several people to share)

It seems to me this works out, for the most part, to a lower price point than, say, Balthazar. Admittedly, you're going to get somewhat larger portions at Balthazar. But for food that's at a far lower level of accomplishment. I mean, what's a better value: the amazing apple kimchi at Ssam Bar for $12, or an unremarkable "Balthazar salad" for $14? Etc.

If you want to talk about price/value check out what they're doing for the super bowl:

gallery_26869_3885_60740.jpg

It's not what I'd order to get a good idea of the depth and breadth what they do at Ssam Bar but for $30 that sounds like a steal. I don't normally watch the super bowl but I may have to have a super bowl party this year...

Edited by donbert (log)

It's not what I'd order to get a good idea of the depth and breadth what they do at Ssam Bar but for $30 that sounds like a steal. I don't normally watch the super bowl but I may have to have a super bowl party this year...

If you're mixing drinks, I'm there! Bottles of Stagg and absinthe in tow... ;)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

I'm a little bit disappointed with MSB. Called them today to inquire about getting the bo ssam for takeout. Apparently, they've increased the price again, this time to $200? Can anyone confirm? Then, (this is what shocked me) the person on the phone told me that they would have to charge $250 if I wanted the bo ssam to go (which does not include oysters). Now, I have no problem paying more if there are increased costs or whatnot but come on, $50 upcharge for no apparent reason at all?? They're making more money (and have less hassle) for takeout than if I brought my party to dine in.

... Now, I have no problem paying more if there are increased costs or whatnot but come on, $50 upcharge for no apparent reason at all?? They're making more money (and have less hassle) for takeout than if I brought my party to dine in.

I doubt that they increased the price for no reason. First of all the take out Bo Ssam is a different package than the one done in house (take out oysters is just asking for trouble). I'm not sure what they're including for the $250 price you were quoted but they originally advertised 2 different take out packages a basic (pickles, rice, lettuce, kimchi, and a banana cream pie) and a deluxe with more sides (chicken wings, pork buns, prawns, bean sprouts, apple kimchi and roasted cauliflower in addition to the basic). This also includes disposable plates, flatware, and those mini tongs you normally get in house. Secondly given the amount interest in the Bo Ssam I wouldn't be surprised if they had to change their kitchen schedule/workflow to meet the demand.

... Now, I have no problem paying more if there are increased costs or whatnot but come on, $50 upcharge for no apparent reason at all?? They're making more money (and have less hassle) for takeout than if I brought my party to dine in.

I doubt that they increased the price for no reason. First of all the take out Bo Ssam is a different package than the one done in house (take out oysters is just asking for trouble). I'm not sure what they're including for the $250 price you were quoted but they originally advertised 2 different take out packages a basic (pickles, rice, lettuce, kimchi, and a banana cream pie) and a deluxe with more sides (chicken wings, pork buns, prawns, bean sprouts, apple kimchi and roasted cauliflower in addition to the basic). This also includes disposable plates, flatware, and those mini tongs you normally get in house. Secondly given the amount interest in the Bo Ssam I wouldn't be surprised if they had to change their kitchen schedule/workflow to meet the demand.

Donbert, this sounds about right. I'm vaguely remembering that the takeout/catering options include a lot of additional items from the dinner menu. I believe they are the same extra dishes that are listed in your photo post of the super bowl take out bo ssam menu. That makes the price quote understandable...

Doing a little recon for pescatarian friends of mine who are asking me for restaurant recommendations. Can anyone help me assemble a list of pescatarian (or vegetarian)-safe dishes at MSB?

The problem is that I suspect that some of the seafood items may involve pork (duck?) fat in some form or another. Thanks!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Hmm -- there's bacon in the clams/mussels stew but I can't recall any other seafood based dishes with pork/duck fat. Here's some things that are probably safe from a recent menu:

Caraquet oysters with kimchi consomme

Cracked Empress Jonah crab claws with yuzu mayo

Spanish Mackeral tataki -- water spinach kimchi, asian pears

Cured hamachi -- edamame, horseradish, pea leaves

Diver sea scallops -- lemon puree, pickled cherries, seaweed

Santa Barbara uni -- tapioca, whipped tofu, scallions

There's also a newer cured (?) fish dish that tastes similar to yellowtail but with firmer flesh, however the name escapes me at the moment.

Old Bay pan-fried skate -- roasted fingerlings, preserved lemon, spicy aioli

Squid and shrimp stew -- coconut milk, galangal, sweet potato

Seasonal pickles (vegetarian)

Bread & butter (vegetarian) -- sea salt butter, St Helen's Farm goat's butter

Roasted mushroom salad (vegetarian) -- pistachio, radish, crones

Desserts sans meat:

Spicy chocolate crumb cake -- banana cream, kochukaru

PB&J -- concord grape jelly, crunchy peanut butter, saltine ice cream

Hazelnut Dacquoise - parsnip buttercream, salted honey, grapefruit ice

Definite NOT VEGETARIAN on the brussels sprouts due to the fish sauce and to the Amish Cheddar Shortcake due to the ham cream.

I'm unnsure about the chawan mushi as it might be cooked with non-vegetarian additives (broth), plus there's the fish roe on top.

I guess...don't bring vegetarians to Ssam Bar.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure