• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2007– )

Nathan

• 1 month later...

For those of you who are David Chang fans, he'll be appearing at the 92nd Street Y tonight (Sunday 11 January) on a panel with Jennifer 8. Lee and me. Here's all the info:

http://www.92y.org/shop/event_detail.asp?productid=T-LC5CA06

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

The new sweetbreads are great: sweet, carmelized nuggets of lamb sweetbread, sauteed king oyster mushrooms, chopped chestnuts, deep fried and crispy chestnut slices, radish, cipollini onions.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Does anyone have any experience with Momofuku's new private dining area? I'm thinking of planning a (small) wedding reception/dinner there and would really appreciate some feedback. Please just send me a PM, I wouldn't want to clog up the thread.

Best.

Edited by Scotttos (log)

Does anyone have any experience with Momofuku's new private dining area?  I'm thinking of planning a (small) wedding reception/dinner there and would really appreciate some feedback.  Please just send me a PM, I wouldn't want to clog up the thread.

If there is any info about this, I think we'd all be interested to hear about it.

Does anyone have any experience with Momofuku's new private dining area?  I'm thinking of planning a (small) wedding reception/dinner there and would really appreciate some feedback.  Please just send me a PM, I wouldn't want to clog up the thread.

If there is any info about this, I think we'd all be interested to hear about it.

I tried to hit up the Milk Bar last Friday night and found myself $$blocked by a private party that took up the whole of Milk Bar, which was closed off for the evening. They were not eating sweets, guessing the Ssam Kitchen was servicing them. Every single seat at every single table was occupied and the tables had been lowered to seating level. Plenty o' wine on the tables, seemed like a corporate gig, but I didn't pay too much attention. The printed black on white paper sign fended people off, and asked them to return tomorrow instead. The hallway between Ssam Bar and Milk Bar had a cord across it with the same paper posted.

Was pretty unhappy, but a trip to JAS Mart for Strawberry Mochi and Milk Creme Roll Cake solved the problem in due course.

Gotcha, haha, I guess I'll take that last part back then : )

• 1 month later...

Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Cage-Free)

All process donated to City Harvest and Food Bank NYC

Torchon - nori, pineapple, 20

Roasted - cipollini onion, maple syrup, brioche, 20

Whole Roasted - apricots, almonds, 140

Tried the whole roasted. Enough for 6 people to each get a big chunk. Warm, toasted brioche, maple syrup were excellent accompaniments.

New chicken fried chicken with ramps, morel, and egg yolk is also awesome.

Edited by kathryn (log)

My fiance and I had the tasting menu at Ssam bar last night and it was a pretty special experience. We've eaten there a million times but never tried the tasting before. It was on a whim that ordered it. It was 70 bucks each for 8 courses. For most of the courses we each received a different dish. It was an amazing way to really explore a lot of what Ssam has to offer. When it was all said and done we were able to sample around 15 different items.

For the start we each recieved a dish with a Caraquet Oyster w/ kimchi consomme and a Cracked Empress Jonah Crab Glaw w/ harissa mayo

Please excuse the quality of the crappy iphone pics.

gallery_55108_6565_317264.jpg

Next up was the Cured Hamachi w/ edamame, horseradish, pea leaves and the Long Island Fluke w/ pink lady apples, charred leeks, lime puree.

gallery_55108_6565_169721.jpg

gallery_55108_6565_263283.jpg

Following that we had the Fuji Apple Kimchi w/ Burgers' smoked jowl, maple labne, arugula and a Pork and Foie Gras Terrine w/ pickled ramps, maple.

gallery_55108_6565_74244.jpg

gallery_55108_6565_54277.jpg

The terrine was knockdown delicious and my second favorite dish of the night. After this we were brought out a plate of the Seasonal Pickles and one Steamed Pork Bun each.

gallery_55108_6565_136019.jpg

gallery_55108_6565_167443.jpg

Next up we each got a portion of the Hudson Valley Foie Gras Torchon w/ nori and pineapple.

gallery_55108_6565_145378.jpg

The torchon was very intense especially with the addition of the nori, but taken together with the pineapple is was a delicious dish. After the foie we hit the fish course and were brought out the Grilled Branzini w/ tomatillos, jicama, pepitas and the Roasted Diver Sea Scallops w/ sea bean, gremolata, anchovy.

gallery_55108_6565_338915.jpg

gallery_55108_6565_202104.jpg

On the heels of the fish course we were brought out the meat course which consisted of a small portion of Bev Eggleston's Pork Shoulder Steak w/ zucchini, ramp dressing and the best dish of the night, Crispy Pig's Head Torchon w/ lime pickle, raisins.

We devoured the pork shoulder steak and got almost halfway though the pig's head torchon before I remembered to take a picture....

gallery_55108_6565_450710.jpg

For dessert we were brought full portions of both the PB&J w/ tristar strawberry jam, soda cracker panna cotta and Pear Sorbet w/ pumpkin ganache, gorgonzola dolce.

gallery_55108_6565_111614.jpg

gallery_55108_6565_456082.jpg

All said and done the meal took over 2 hours and with 2 half liters of wine (with tax/tip) came to just under $300. After having the tasting it's going to be hard to go back and order like we usually do. We were told that in the future we can tailor to the tasting to incorporate any of the dishes on the menu. Can't wait to go back.

Please forgive (again) the shoddy picture work and rudimentary descriptions.

My fiance and I had the tasting menu at Ssam bar last night and it was a pretty special experience.  We've eaten there a million times but never tried the tasting before.  It was on a whim that ordered it.  It was 70 bucks each for 8 courses.  For most of the courses we each received a different dish.  It was an amazing way to really explore a lot of what Ssam has to offer.  When it was all said and done we were able to sample around 15 different items.

Interesting! I grabbed the tasting at Ssam Bar a few months ago, and didn't end up terribly impressed. Found it mostly just a mix of random stuff I could have gotten ALC, and in portions that were way too large. It looks like they've been cut down a little, but still, it's an intimidating amount of food.

Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Cage-Free)

All process donated to City Harvest and Food Bank NYC

Pork and foie gras terrine - cornichon, tarragon, 14

Roasted - pickled ramps, aragula, maple, 20

Whole Roasted - apricots, almonds, 110

Whole roasted for $110!

• 4 weeks later...
Have they switched around the condiments?

When I went on Friday, it was the pork and foie gras terrine that came with the pickled ramps and maple jelly.

They are serving the Pork and Foie Gras terrine w/ the same condiments for lunch as well ($14.00).

Absolutely delicious.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a few cocktails with dinner there last night – the drinks program is impressive (pretty much as you'd expect). The rocks ice is a thing of astonishing beauty; the NYMag photo doesn't do it justice. The stuff about not being able to go off-menu in the NYMag piece is also wrong; "dealer's choice" with your choice of spirit is explicitly presented as an option. There is in fact only one gin – currently an Old Tom – but the selection of brown spirits is impressive. I'm probably not as much of a Ssäm Bar devotee as many other eGulleters, but this will definitely make me go there substantially more often.

• 3 weeks later...

Different mushroom on ours but DAMN is this an awesome dish. Think of it as the best chicken mcnugget ever created.

Different mushroom on ours but DAMN is this an awesome dish. Think of it as the best chicken mcnugget ever created.

Thirded; it's a pretty damn awesome dish. I believe it's porcini mushrooms now.

I have been quite critical of this restaurant in the past. I went last night and had a redemptive meal. I now understand why it is as popular as it is. Oh, they also supplied serving utensils. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have been quite critical of this restaurant in the past. I went last night and had a redemptive meal. I now understand why it is as popular as it is. Oh, they also supplied serving utensils. :wink:

More details, please!

it took me like 3 times to really have a good time at momofuku ssam.

i've found that you can really order the wrong things and have a bad experience...... its best to not have wine (and DEFINITELY not buy the glass, as you get wine in some skimpy little 2 ounce glass), order a bunch of beers, go as a group of 4-6 and order the entire menu and just let it arrive as it comes out of the kitchen.

it took me like 3 times to really have a good time at momofuku ssam.

i've found that you can really order the wrong things and have a bad experience...... its best to not have wine (and DEFINITELY not buy the glass, as you get wine in some skimpy little 2 ounce glass), order a bunch of beers, go as a group of 4-6 and order the entire menu and just let it arrive as it comes out of the kitchen.

That's pretty curious about the wine - At ssam bar, I've always been served wine in a normal wine glass. At noodle bar, however, wine has been served in a small juice glass.